My First 1911

This is a discussion on My First 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Springfield is good, but the pony has more trade or sale value. I agree with those who suggested that for a few more dollars., you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My First 1911

Springfield is good, but the pony has more trade or sale value. I agree with those who suggested that for a few more dollars., you can get the Colt.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    to the OP--do you want to just shoot this 1911 at the range? Or will you want to be carrying it as well? If you want to carry it, you might think real hard about whether you want the mil-spec or not--lots of hard edges and things like a hammer, to snag on clothes........also, the 5" model might get a bit heavy to wear all day...
    I dont plan on carrying this first one. Also part of my devious plan: Once I fall in love with it and want to carry it I will HAVE TO buy a more carry appropriate one!

I plan on this one as a learning tool for mods and as another piece to my collection. Gotta have a 1911!

I'm another who suggests that you avail yourself of the actual Colt product, at least once. Remember, 100 years in production this year.

I only have 3 1911s and one collection of parts that could be made up into another shooter 1911. All are Colts except for one World War II Remington Rand 1911A1.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    colt
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I bought a Springfield Mil-Spec in stainless a few weeks ago and really, really like it. It took a few rounds to figure out things since I had been shooting mostly snubbies and short barell stuff. The only flaw I have seen is the inability to change sights conveniently on the Mil-Spec and GI models. You CAN go with Novak and replace the rear and front but frankly, I am happy with it the way it is.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

TCT
    My first gun ever was a Springfield Champion 1911.

Still own it too.

A great firearm all around.
    Attached Images
    bigdog44 likes this.

After a long wait from the original order, and lots of discussion with other members here, I finally picked up my Springfield 1911 Loaded last Monday. I made it to my local range today and love it through 200 rounds! They can be found for $800/$850 out the door if you play your cards right.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I bought a LNIB Colt 1991 Commander Stainless for $725. It is an 80 series, but I REALLY like it. Not knocking the Springer in any way, and I know the Mil-spec is alot different. Just giving you something to compare it to.

Paid 816.00 for a brand new Colt Gov Model.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Paid 816.00 for a brand new Colt Gov Model.
    Dang you. I've almost bought one since you put that post out there. It's the itch I can't scratch.

Springfield is an excellent platform for starting your 1911 collection/addiction as it has a solid frame and nicely fitted slide so as to have a competent gunsmith upgrade it to your liking is a relatively easy task and should not cost an arm and a leg. I have a stainless GI that I sent out and changed out a few parts, added night sights and had the trigger worked down to 3 lbs. Wouldn't recommend you do that for a carry gun but it is great for competition shooting.

If you are looking for a carry gun, I would strongly recommend the Kimber Pro Carry which sports a mid size barrel, a composite construction and is comfortable enough to be worn all day. My Kimber Pro Carry is about 15 years old and has not less than 50,000 rounds fired. I change the recoil and firing pin springs on a schedule and clean it each time I use it. I added night sights and wood grips to it a few years back when I had the ejector restaked.

I currently own about 22 1911's and have not paid more than $1200 for any one of them....and all but one was purchased new. I don't believe the big name guns with the big name prices are worth the money. I paid about $700 for my Springfield and when I upgraded it, I put another $700 into it, which makes it the most expensive gun in my collection but also the only gun that has been customized exactly to my liking. I like all the other guns exactly as they came out of the box.

Good luck and enjoy your soon to be addiction and welcome to the world of the 1911.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links