Physical with Questionaire

This is a discussion on Physical with Questionaire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by rstickle "N/A" has always worked for me! Exactly what to do....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Physical with Questionaire

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    "N/A" has always worked for me!
    Exactly what to do.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Its not like you are signing something under oath.
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner! It's not a legally binding document so I fail to see the issue. I also fail to see the point in wasting tax payer money debating the issue to get a law passed that says doctors can ask the question.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Just say NO it's in my pocket.
    Tzadik likes this.

The only excuse that I can see for a question like this being a medical concern is if you should develop or be treated for a mental problem such as depression, bipolar disorder, etc. Considering the number of suicides that are committed with firearms, I can see under those circumstances where a doctor might be concerned if you had a gun in the house. As far as answering the question, if asked, that's your business. I'm just offering a possible reason for asking it in the first place.
    rolyat63 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Would that not be an infringement on the doc's free speech?

S/he can ask, you can decline to answer or decide to answer untruthfully if that is your choice. You are also free to find another doc. What's the big deal? Its not like you are signing something under oath.
    The "big deal" is that, it was Pediatricians asking minor children the question, and there were reported cases of treatment (non-emergency treatment) being arbitrarily denied based on the childs answer. The law was passed by the legislature and signed by our very "pro-gun" Governor. ( Anti-gun doctors sue in Florida | The Barr Code )

The coalition of Florida Doctors are being aided and funded by "The Brady Campaign". The "Brady Bunch are also supplying the Doctors with Brady Attorneys to litigate their suit.

Still wonder why it was such a "big deal"??????
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    "the question" comes from a standard questionnaire from the AMA. It really doesn't reflect much on your individual doctor, other than he probably doesn't put much thought into his own practice.

Fixed it for ya

I'm just a contrarian by nature, my responce to invasive questions is to LIE either just to be contrary or I give what I think is the "correct" answer, yes I ALWAYS use my seat belt, no I NEVER use tobacco, no I NEVER drink alcohol........

For those that use N/A (or my favorite for multiple choice questions NOYFB) or any other answer other than NO you just answered YES.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    It's that time of year again, I'm getting a physical tomorrow. I have the usual form for medical history to fill out. I've posted on this before, but the question asking if I have a firearm in the house I left unanswered this time. I'm going to seeif the Doc asks me why I left it unanswered. I'll post again if a discussion on the matter takes place.
    Just check NO and move on. What is so hard about that?
    Hopyard likes this.

Would that not be an infringement on the doc's free speech?

S/he can ask, you can decline to answer or decide to answer untruthfully if that is your choice. You are also free to find another doc. What's the big deal? Its not like you are signing something under oath.
    NO, it wouldn't.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    NO, it wouldn't.
    Well, we'll disagree on that and let it go without further debate.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

There isn't any known health risk from being around firearms is there? I mean, aside from the possibility of shooting ones self? For example, spending a lot of time in a shooting range would expose you to various chemicals in the air, and possibly lead too. Could that be the reason they ask?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Fixed it for ya

I'm just a contrarian by nature, my responce to invasive questions is to LIE either just to be contrary or I give what I think is the "correct" answer, yes I ALWAYS use my seat belt, no I NEVER use tobacco, no I NEVER drink alcohol........

For those that use N/A (or my favorite for multiple choice questions NOYFB) or any other answer other than NO you just answered YES.
    I clicked the like box. While it is admirable to tell the truth, we all know that when folks ask us stuff that they don't need to know, or shouldn't know, a little white lie is a good work around. As long as it isn't under oath or to a law enforcement official, I have no problem. That said, I'm a terrible liar in the sense that somehow it is always obvious. For me, it is easier to answer this gun question and move on with getting my business done.

Last time I was asked the doc looked at the answer and said the only reason she wanted to know was that it is an opportunity to remind people to keep them from kids. Maybe not her business, but fair enough.

She is free to ask, I'm free to decline to answer or to lie.

On a related matter, sometimes I have run into situations where folks other than law enforcement add boiler plate to a questionnaire which makes it look as if you are swearing under oath or that the you can be held liable for the truthfulness of what you are signing. I usually either cross that language out or decline to sign-- with rare exceptions of course for stuff like mortgage applications or insurance claims where fraud could become an issue.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Until one day because you clicked that box and it was entered into the national healtchare system database they review your file to see if there are any medications and or incidents or diagnosis that have been made that justify them in taking away your firearm ownership rights as a direct result of the legislation that is soon to come due to the whole jared loughner incident. I check no. As in No I will not play along in your information gathering game.
    atctimmy and RemMod597 like this.

My last physical I was asked the same question. Then, after the paperwork, came the single one handed rubber glove, and he was left-handed! The Dr. didn't actually flat out say it but, based on my experience, I believe he was looking to see if I was CCWing there? He didn't find it but he said I needed to look into getting my tonsils removed?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    ...I also fail to see the point in wasting tax payer money debating the issue to get a law passed that says doctors can ask the question.
    Perhaps they thought that it wasn't appropriate for doctors to ask a loaded, non-medical question of your patient, especially when they then use the patient's refusal to answer to discontinue providing medical services:

Ocala woman refused service from pediatrician for gun (question) | Ocala.com
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    They can refuse to provide service for any reason whatsoever except as otherwise provided in the laws against discrimination and the ethics of medical practice.

All the libertarians here need to keep in mind that in your utopia the doc is free to ask, free to provide or not provide the service, and you are free to decline to answer, free to give a false answer, and free to look for your health care elsewhere.

How is having the law telling the doc what she may not ask allowing for and protecting his/her freedom? It isn't.

It is taking their freedom to practice as they deem appropriate away from them. Taking away their ability to ask would be the same as telling a store owner he can't post his property. How is that different from telling me what I can or can't do in my own home or business?

Funny how quickly principles go out the window when folks want to reach an end or are driven by fear.

Let the doc ask. Let us decide how to answer, and let us decide where we will take our business.

There are so many more and more important invasions of our privacy which happen day in and day out that this one is really near the bottom of my personal list of concerns.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links