Physical with Questionaire

This is a discussion on Physical with Questionaire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Hopyard They can refuse to provide service for any reason whatsoever except as otherwise provided in the laws against discrimination and the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Physical with Questionaire

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    They can refuse to provide service for any reason whatsoever except as otherwise provided in the laws against discrimination and the ethics of medical practice.

All the libertarians here need to keep in mind that in your utopia the doc is free to ask, free to provide or not provide the service, and you are free to decline to answer, free to give a false answer, and free to look for your health care elsewhere.

How is having the law telling the doc what she may not ask allowing for and protecting his/her freedom? It isn't.

It is taking their freedom to practice as they deem appropriate away from them. Taking away their ability to ask would be the same as telling a store owner he can't post his property. How is that different from telling me what I can or can't do in my own home or business?

Funny how quickly principles go out the window when folks want to reach an end or are driven by fear.

Let the doc ask. Let us decide how to answer, and let us decide where we will take our business.

There are so many more and more important invasions of our privacy which happen day in and day out that this one is really near the bottom of my personal list of concerns.
    I fully agree with them having the right to ask the question. Like you have said, the answer I give could be the truth or the little white lies we are talking about. Will will have to see, I have not been asked the question yet.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Never had one ask and those (like my dentist) that do know the answer could care less and own guns themselves.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

When I go to the Doctor's, the first thing they do to me is weigh me. I ask do you want the weight with the gun on or off!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Yea...it's no big deal, until you get a notice in the mail saying that because you own and use firearms, a behavior that can be dangerous, you will not qualify for healthcare and will not be covered under "Obamacare". Then whats next? Those who have more than 2 speeding tickets can't be covered, because they engage in dangerous behavior. Then those who ride motorcycles, then who? Private pilots?, golfers?, did you run with scissors in your hand when you were a child? Just about anything can be construed to be dangerous.
    To these people "doing good has no end". When that man in the White House told Sara Brady he was working on gun control measures "under the radar" you better believe he meant it.
    Last edited by Stubborn; July 25th, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    They can refuse to provide service for any reason whatsoever except as otherwise provided in the laws against discrimination and the ethics of medical practice.

All the libertarians here need to keep in mind that in your utopia the doc is free to ask, free to provide or not provide the service, and you are free to decline to answer, free to give a false answer, and free to look for your health care elsewhere.

How is having the law telling the doc what she may not ask allowing for and protecting his/her freedom? It isn't.

It is taking their freedom to practice as they deem appropriate away from them. Taking away their ability to ask would be the same as telling a store owner he can't post his property. How is that different from telling me what I can or can't do in my own home or business?

Funny how quickly principles go out the window when folks want to reach an end or are driven by fear.

Let the doc ask. Let us decide how to answer, and let us decide where we will take our business.

There are so many more and more important invasions of our privacy which happen day in and day out that this one is really near the bottom of my personal list of concerns.
    When a national accrediting body (AAP) has their members include certain questions in their screening processes, where do you go for your healthcare when all of the members decide who they will & won't see based on a patient's willingness to acquiesce to their questioning? To be required to lie for your care when you don't wish to give irrelevant information does not allow much room for personal liberty, much less for one's morals.

Taking away their freedom to practice? Refusing to provide medically necessary healthcare based on a 'customer' not opening themselves to non-medical inquiries, especially when one's life can be negatively affected by such a refusal of service, & a business owner's rights to speech, whether it be at home or in their business, are not really comparable - are they?

Medical personnel are licensed, accredited, & are required by the state to meet a much higher standard of practice than the average business because of the importance of their services to the lives of the people.
    If these physicians are truly concerned for the well-being of their patients beyond the medical issues at hand, then they should strive to get their information to the patient in a less invasive way. How about referring them to a literature stand in the waiting area?

Requiring people to give up more information than is necessary or desired flies in the face of what this country stands for...IMO. The physician's freedom to get information to their clients is still there. The Florida law merely redirects the physician to focus on the purpose for which they are licensed for - to provide medical care.
    Tzadik and RemMod597 like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Yea...it's no big deal, until you get a notice in the mail saying that because you own and use firearms, a behavior that can be dangerous, you will not qualify for healthcare and will not be covered under "Obamacare". Then whats next? Those who have more than 2 speeding tickets can't be covered, because they engage in dangerous behavior. Then those who ride motorcycles, then who? Private pilots?, golfers?, did you run with scissirs in your hand when you were a child? Just about anything can be construed to be dangerous.
    To these people "doing good has no end". When that man in the White House told Sara Brady he was working on gun control measures "under the radar" you better believe he meant it.
    Cross bridges as they come. Until they ask you to answer under penalty of perjury, none of it matters.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Cross bridges as they come. Until they ask you to answer under penalty of perjury, none of it matters.
    I submit to you sir, that when they do ask under penalty of perjury, it will be too late.
    It's none of their business, it has nothing to do with medicine, or medical treatment. It has everything to do with the A.M.A. pushing it's anti-gun agenda. Thank God I live in Florida, where our legislature was far-sighted enough to see this could become a problem and handled it quickly.
    atctimmy, Tzadik and RemMod597 like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I submit to you sir, that when they do ask under penalty of perjury, it will be too late.
    It's none of their business, it has nothing to do with medicine, or medical treatment. It has everything to do with the A.M.A. pushing it's anti-gun agenda. Thank God I live in Florida, where our legislature was far-sighted enough to see this could become a problem and handled it quickly.
    You sir, are correct.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Wow, didn't think I'd stir that much emotion with this thread. Well, here's the scoop. Physical went well, no problems noted(until the blood work comes back), and nothing mentioned about the gun question. Makes me wonder if he even looked at it. What else is he missing...?
    canav844 likes this.

good nothing came of it.

I'm not sure how I would handle that question. I avoid doctors unless I'm bleeding, puking etc. I don't really see why they may want to know this info but I would be more inclined to say no.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Wow, didn't think I'd stir that much emotion with this thread. Well, here's the scoop. Physical went well, no problems noted(until the blood work comes back), and nothing mentioned about the gun question. Makes me wonder if he even looked at it. What else is he missing...?
    Maybe he didn't look at the form, BUT did the clerk enter it into the (soon to be) national medical data base?

Well, since I have a concealed carry permit, I figure the government is smart enough to know with relative certainty that I have a firearm regardless of my answer on the medical questionnaire. Or they could check hunter safety class records from 1989. Or check hunting license purchase records. There are plenty of ways to know that I own guns.

I think it would be amusing to answer along this line: >20 (as in "more than 20").

I was told that the question was asked so that I could be advised when I was given medications that would impact my judgement I would know not to handle a firearm. I thought this was a bit of a snow job answer. Seems to me this falls under the "not your business" banner. I did not respond to the question and it did not come up during the exam.
    "If 10% is good enough for Jesus, it ought to be enough for Uncle Sam" Ray Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    "N/A" has always worked for me!
    I'd have to agree here. A big 'N/A' is always appropriate.

Seems somewhere I read that there was a move underway to get the CDC to list firearm ownership as a mental illness. Go figure.

Semper Fi

Ask your doctor what his actions will be if you answer yes to this question. Then, ask your doctor what will be his actions if you answer no. If your doctor says he will act the same given either answer, then the question is irrelevant and you should not bother to answer it.

This simple test is also a good one to apply to any proposed medical tests or procedures.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links