Physical with Questionaire - Page 4

Physical with Questionaire

This is a discussion on Physical with Questionaire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MP45Man Wow, didn't think I'd stir that much emotion with this thread. Well, here's the scoop. Physical went well, no problems noted(until ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Physical with Questionaire

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Wow, didn't think I'd stir that much emotion with this thread. Well, here's the scoop. Physical went well, no problems noted(until the blood work comes back), and nothing mentioned about the gun question. Makes me wonder if he even looked at it. What else is he missing...?
    I'm glad to hear all went well with your physical sir. It's good that they left the gun issue alone.

We've been all through this issue here in Florida, and it still is going to have to work it's way through the courts.
    Hopefully, when its over, we'll have a model for the rest of the nation. To my knowledge Florida is the first to tackle this issue.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I get asked that question every time I visit my Doctor, but he asks if I have any "NEW" guns. Then we usually talk guns and hunting until on of the nurses breaks up our discussion, because we're taking so much time the waiting room is backing up. Ain't nothing like living in a very rural area.
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

I've never had a question on a questionnaire from my doctor about seat belt use, motorcycles (he rides a bike too and we've discussed bikes), guns (he knows I carry and he's discussed getting a permit himself), etc. But IF these questions ever appeared on a questionnaire I would answer NOYFB! Medical history questions are OK, but if it isn't medically related I won't answer!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Ask your doctor what his actions will be if you answer yes to this question. Then, ask your doctor what will be his actions if you answer no. If your doctor says he will act the same given either answer, then the question is irrelevant and you should not bother to answer it.

This simple test is also a good one to apply to any proposed medical tests or procedures.
    Always assume malevolent intentions and you won't be caught off guard: maybe today there is no problem, but what will happen tomorrow when through Obummercare the feds have access to all your medical records????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Always assume malevolent intentions and you won't be caught off guard: maybe today there is no problem, but what will happen tomorrow when through Obummercare the feds have access to all your medical records????????????????
    What makes you think the feds don't already have access to them?

Even though my doctor is also my hunting partner, I'd still answer NO. I can, possibly, see a reason for the question (if the government isn't behind it). As I was recovering from triple bypass surgery, the surgeon prescribed a pain medication that caused me to KNOW FOR A FACT that the hospital staff was planning on killing me that night. I called my wife from my hospital bed and asked her to bring "JAKE" (my 357mag), that I was making a break for it. There is no question in her mind that I would have shot my way out of that hospital. They immediately changed my med. I just as easily could have been at home when the terror hit, and my family could have been in danger.

I just really don't understand the relevance of the question to my MD. We had this discussion at work a few weeks ago. My co-worker had that question on his form while in for a physical. He "wrote in" his "none ya" and nobody said a word about it LOL.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I have bought numerous guns with the stardard background check involved. THEY already know duh.... but still I don't like it.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Would that not be an infringement on the doc's free speech?
    S/he can ask, you can decline to answer or decide to answer untruthfully if that is your choice. You are also free to find another doc. What's the big deal? Its not like you are signing something under oath.
    That's the argument the Doc are using now to file a lawsuit to stop the law. It came about when a Doc refused treatment to a person who refused to answer. I've never seen the question at any medical office I go to (and that's a lot) so it isn't a standard AMA questionaire.

I comsume alcohol, so I'll answer that question. I don't smoke, so I'll answer that question. I avoid consuming bullets in all manners, and that is not the doc's business, unless I failed to avoid!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

So how do you bring up, "I want you to add lead levels to my blood test so I can see where they're at" "why" "I'm curious" Not a single doc (and I've been to several) thus far has been willing to check that box for me when I say curious, so I'm still not monitoring a potentially serious health risk at any quantitative level, regardless of my willingness to get an extra vile of blood drawn.

As far as I'm concerned, past a select few that do not include the doctor the answer is a firm no, and when it comes to the doctor it is entirely because of insurance concerns.

Glock Certified Armorer

Senior Moderator
    I've never seen this question on any paperwork relating to me but I have seen it on my son's pediatrician paperwork questionnaire. Right under, "Has your house been properly tested for lead?" "Do you have a swimming pool?" "Do you use an appropriate car seat while driving?" there is, "Do you own any firearms?"

First time I answered, "Yes." The next time I didn't answer at all. The third time I answered, "No."

I have yet to be asked about it.

I sincerely doubt they even looked at it. In fact, when I handed the paperwork back the nurse said, "Thank you very much," didn't even look at it except to see that it was signed, slipped it into his file.. the file went into a slot that the doctor picked up and skipped right over that page to the one about vaccinations, known medical conditions in the family, the reason for this visit and milestones expected to be reached at his age.

I honestly think those questions are of very low priority to doctors who do not have an agenda.

These forms are standard forms bought in bulk and do not necessarily reflect any kind of prejudice of the doctor and/or his office.

As it's already been stated, if the government wants to know you have guns there are 101 other ways to do it. If Obamacare wants to know whether you have guns there are 101 ways to do it.

Just to go to show you how little attention is paid to these questionnaires, I once went to an OB/GYN that had a question as to whether or not I had ever been sexually abused. I said, "Yes." The next questions was, "If so, would you like to talk to someone about your abuse?" I checked off, "Yes."

No one said a single word to me. I was in their care for a couple of years and actually ended up with some extensive treatment for a medical condition but no one ever asked me about that portion of the questionnaire. Again, I think they skipped to the parts more relevant to medical treatment such as, "Is there any breast cancer, heart disease, ovarian cancer, etc in your family?"

I'm not worried about those types of questions and have only gotten them on my son's ped paperwork. I answer according to my whims at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The only question about firearms by my doctor is what have you bought lately.
    Mine too!!! He has also asked if I want to come out to his place and shoot groundhogs, and his partner wants me to come out to his house and teach him about handguns and let him try some of mine to see what he likes. He said he'll throw a couple steaks on the grill for my helping him out.

I would choose to answer "NA" and let them decide what it stands for. For me, it stands for "Not Answering", but I'm not going to tell them that.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

When it is on a piece of paper in a file where access to the information is limited, then it is of no consequence. Once it is in a nationwide electronic health record and accessible via electronic mining of data fields, it becomes a whole new issue. Of course, in Virginia having a CHP is publicly available data so it isn't like it is a big secret.

As employers gain more access to your personal information via your health insurance, social media network policies, etc. the line between personal and professional has become non-existent.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

A doctor has absolutely no business asking about whether or not you have firearms. None.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

I did the questionaire for my yearly health assessment (military) about a week ago, there was a section that just had a notice; it said something like "The section involving firearms has been removed please continue to the next section". I don't remember any questions about guns last year, but my memory is awful.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links