Double shooting at neighboring church Sun. morning

This is a discussion on Double shooting at neighboring church Sun. morning within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Only moments before our middle (contemporary) service, I was told of a shooting at our closest neighboring church of the same denomination. My mind went ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Double shooting at neighboring church Sun. morning

Double shooting at neighboring church Sun. morning

Only moments before our middle (contemporary) service, I was told of a shooting at our closest neighboring church of the same denomination.

My mind went into high gear...was this a still-active shooter scenario and someone was headed to us or any other church next? Who in the congregation is or might be armed? Who can keep an eye out for anything or anyone out of the ordinary?

We opened with a song. I am on the front row, my back to 2 of the 3 entrances while we are singing. I spent a tense few minutes until one of our members got word from the SO that they were NOT looking for anyone at that point. I understood that to mean that they either had the shooter/s in custody or s/he was dead. I was able to relax - somewhat - once that was known.

No real point to this except to share there is a hurting congregation out there. The story seems to be that two people had a suicide pact. The pastor was pretty shook at finding two bodies (one still living, so far) when he came in around 7:20 a.m.

And, it drove home what I already knew: we are not prepared as a congregation for a violent act. We have work to do.

And, there are hurting people out there. Stay aware. Stay safe.

Mike
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

I guess the only thing I can say is I guess it was good that they were just killing themselves and not other innocent people.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Prayers sent for the Pastor and congregation.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Prayers out.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Sad, a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Just glad they did not decide to take out a bunch of innocent people with them.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Sadly, I used to sit in the front row. 'Less distractions and I could focus better on the sermon.

Now I always sit in the back for SA purposes.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Wow...no place is immune. Praying for the congregation and for yours, miklcolt45!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

cj
    Sorry to hear about that. I also tend to sit with a view of the entrances, and knowing my church, I kind of doubt anyone else has given the possibility much of a thought, and would probably be shocked to find that someone was CCing during services.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My wife and I are vacationing in Marco Island, FL this week and saw this story Sunday night on the local news. Like you, my 1st thought was a double homicide with an active shooter on the loose.

Sad that some people feel this is the only way to deal with their problems.
    Proud NRA member

Sad to hear. Oddly enough, here in Georgia, although we have liberal carry laws, carrying in a church is/was banned. [I think the law changed recently] I've done it accidentally a few times, when I forgot there was a pistol in my pocket.

Links