Chiappa Rhino 6" Range Report (Pics and Vids!)

This is a discussion on Chiappa Rhino 6" Range Report (Pics and Vids!) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I went to the range last night and fired up the Rhino to see what she could give me. I am happy with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Chiappa Rhino 6" Range Report (Pics and Vids!)

Hello, I went to the range last night and fired up the Rhino to see what she could give me. I am happy with the results.

Yesterday, as I was gearing up to head to the range, my grandmother called and when she found out where I was going asked if she could join. Well, of course! Who can refuse a grandma that is learning to shoot?!?!
    So we got to the range and broke out the G17 for grandma, she shot very very well with it and I was happy I had taken her to that basic handgun course last month. :)

After she got her fill of that we broke out the Rhino. You could sense the stares of everyone on the range as I loaded up and began firing.
    I Initially started with .375 Mag 110gr. JHP. I didn't really know what to expect. Will it be soft, will it recoil more into the arm instead of the wrist? I had no idea. I raised up and aligned sights, squeezed the trigger and boom... Now, I confess I could feel the recoil but it was far more tame than any .357 I had ever shot. Very manageable and easy to stay on target. I turned around to the growing crowd of people and said: "this thing is the lightest recoil on a .357 ever!" The weight of the pistol helps there. Chiappa lists it as "936 grains" which, doesn't make a lick of sense to me seeing as that ends up being about 2 ounces. By my scale the gun weighs in at 33.5oz empty. The grip appeared small to me at first but after I handled it I realized that it was surprisingly comfortable and did not compromise the grasp at all. I progressively changed my sights and got more comfortable with the revolver. I ended up with this at 5 yards:

Thats 6 rounds through 2 holes. I liked that! But I wanted it up a little more so I adjusted the sights and got this:

It is important to note the amazing sights on this pistol. They are very easy to bring on target and easy to adjust. you can Adjust for windage as well as vertically. This pistol has what they call a "False Hammer" meaning when you pull the trigger, the hammer does not move rearward externally. When you cock it for single action firing, the hammer returns to the lowered position although it is still cocked. This being the case they have put a small chamber indicator button in the top. It can be seen in the raised position in the last picture of this set. It surprisingly does not interfere with the sight picture. It doesn't even distract you.

The Range Master came up behind me and said "What the heck is that?!" I told him and explained the concept. He was in bewilderment. I told him if he was allowed he could fire a few through it. I loaded it half full but forgot the barrel is on the bottom. So it took a few trys to get the rounds in the right place. (Revolver shooters know what I mean here...) He fired it and said it was dead on and he loved the recoil.
    I decided to load up some .38 Specials and see what happened. I loaded, took aim and... wait did I shoot one already? I turned around to my buddy and said "Its like shooting a .22!". The recoil on the .38 was so nominal it was actually hard to notice. Here is a video of my buddy shooting it, then my grandma too! (I take no responsibility for my buddy's hand position on the gun. :)

Another video here: ‪Grandma Shooing the Chiappa Rhino‬‏ - YouTube

Here is the Rhino with .357 Mag:

Not wanting to spend too much time at 5 yards I started moving back. I took a few shots and got a pretty good group at 7 yards. but whoop! Range was closing. So I did not get all the shooting time in that I wanted but that just gives me an excuse to go back again.

Final Thoughts:

Overall I love this gun. There are things that I don't love about it:
    -There is a 12 pound trigger pull. Although it was incredibly smooth, it was tough for my grandma.
    -The trigger was thicker than anything I've shot before.
    -The hammer was stiff and a little uncomfortable to cock for SA firing.

I love how the location of the barrel lowers the felt recoil. I fully admit I had my doubts about their claims. It makes perfect sense in theory but in real life? I was unsure. Yesterday the Rhino put all my doubts to rest.
    -The more I look at this gun the more I think it looks like a bad a**.
    -The stock sights are awesome, and fully adjustable.
    -Single Action shooting is awesome (4 or 5lbs) crisp and clean.
    -This is a great gun to get people started shooting. Although I did not buy it for that purpose, as I watched my grandmother fire the .38s with ease I realized this is going to be a fun gun. (Admittedly, a .22 revolver would be cheaper to learn on )

I give it an A. Just because of how dang fun it was to shoot. Not A++ just A.

PS, This is my first range report I have done./ I really had no idea what I was doing or what I should write about. So any pointers would be welcomed.
    Also, admins, I started attaching pictures from my computer but realized it was easier to link them. Now I cannot do away with the attachments. So if you can delete them thats cool. :) Thanks.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Ianator; July 27th, 2011 at 01:11 PM.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the post. I want one.

Nice report. I'm not a big fan of the false hammer, but everything else about this gun seems pretty good.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Good report. I had read a couple of months ago in "Shooting Times" that muzzle flip had been reduced nearly 50% by the six oclock firing position.
    Sounds correct from what you're saying. Congrats on the new toy.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Very Impressive and a fine report. Also tempting. I take it the grip is an add-on?

GM
    Good report . Thanks for sharing. I like the Rhino
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Good report!! Wish I knew someone who had one so I could play......want to come to Ohio?
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Good report!! Wish I knew someone who had one so I could play......want to come to Ohio?
    If I'm ever in Ohio I'll hit ya up! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    If I'm ever in Ohio I'll hit ya up! lol
    Ha, if you are ever in Ohio you will be too busy trying to get back to Texas to look me up
    Ianator, WHEC724 and scgunlover1 like this.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Sounds amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on one. It's kind of like a hairless cat- it's ugly, and looks wrong. But oddly fascinating all the same.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Looks like another happy Rhino owner. There simply has to be something to the recoil perception with these revolvers. Thanks for the report and good photos.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Very Impressive and a fine report. Also tempting. I take it the grip is an add-on?
    Nope! That is the grip it comes with. (mine at least.) It is made of Walnut. Here is the other possibilities: Chiappa Firearms

Sounds amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on one. It's kind of like a hairless cat- it's ugly, and looks wrong. But oddly fascinating all the same.
    Although I admit to spending a few extra seconds trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with a hairless cat I am ashamed to think about it in conjunction to the Rhino, let alone any gun.

Good report. One of these is at the top of my list, just have to decide if I want a 2" or 4".
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

It is so ugly, but I thought glocks were ugly when I first saw them. I must shoot one.

I said yesterday that it better shoot well cause it would not make it on looks alone.

Well beauty is as beauty does.

Good shootin'.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links