Revolver Question - Page 2

Revolver Question

This is a discussion on Revolver Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 5 -6-7 and 8 shot revolvers. I'ld go a .357, since you can shoot .38's in it and if you decide later to use .357's, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Revolver Question

5 -6-7 and 8 shot revolvers.

I'ld go a .357, since you can shoot .38's in it and if you decide later to use .357's, you can... and holds better resale (more buyers all together).

About any S&W and Rugers will be the top choices.
    Then Rossi, Some Charters are fine, and a couple of Taurus's are fine (605, 85, and 617).

Within those, find one you like the featrues of, grip, how it feels and handles, and go for it. Remember the last thing you want to be short of , is ammo & capacity.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    No matter which revolver you choose in addition to good self defense ammo and good practice ammo there are other accessories you will want to consider. A cleaning kit is a must. The best way to be sure the gun will function when it must is good maintenance especially after a range session. Other accessories include a good holster in you plan to carry. Remember not every holster will work for every situation. An Inside the Waist Band (IWB) may not be the best choice for kicking around in the woods. A full flap woods holster may not be the best for concealment. If your gun is an inside gun you may want to consider round speedloaders. If you are going to carry concealed you may want to look at speedstrips. When it comes to handguns the ammo selections and accessories are nearly endless. What you really need is a high quality gun that won't break the bank so you can at least buy some good ammo and a cleaning kit. The rest can be gotten later as funds become available. I imagine most of us have at least one box of old holsters and gear we have used over the years. Those who are or have been police or security officers may have one box of old duty gear and a box of off duty gear. Seems I have more old duty gear than off duty gear. Again good luck and enjoy the search.

Administrator
    For your set of circumstances, I'd buy a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel if I could find one within that budget. (it will be well used) If not, a Ruger GP100 is a fine choice as well, also with a 4" barrel. The 4" barrel will give you plenty of sight radius and ease of shooting yet still allow it to be carried comfortably if the need arises.

But, there is nothing wrong with the old K's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with the model 10 for several reasons. One thing, it is probably going to come very close to your 300.00 price range. Secondly, a fighting revolver should be fired double action, so s smooth and slick trigger is a must, especially if you are a beginner. The M10 is an older pistol, very popuar and there is a high chance that it has been fired enough to be well broken in, and therefor have the trigger pull that even accomplished revolver shooters strive for.

This applys to all older k frame Smith revolvers. There is simply no way to go wrong with these choices.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Let me give you a bit more detail

I plan to get a 1911 as a full time conceal carry. Thats the gun ive always wanted but for right now I am considering the revolver because the layout of where I life is my house is in the middle I live with my mother because she has parkinsens and altheimers so I am usually home with her and/or my girlfriend is. My grandmother lives to the right of my house faceing it and my aunt lives to the left of my house faceing it. My uncle lives with my grandmother and its just her and him since my grandfather passed away. My uncle owns a .380 rat gun. My aunt lives with my uncle and her 3 kids plus her brothers 6 more kids they are taking care of. My step father has rifles but I hate useing any of his because we dont see eye to eye on most things and I hate borrowing.
    When something happens I am usually the one who gets called and my uncle since were the only ones who are possibly the most protective.

Situations. Weve had cars at 1-2 in the morning drive down with no lights all the way down to a large fence (literally maybe 3 miles and your in mexico) and shoot out of the sub division with lights off until they get to the end of the block turn on the lights and bolt out. Border patrol knows our area well.

I stopped by a shop on 10th called RDS (Resilient Defense Systems) Met a nice kid (he had to be younger then me) and I liked the enviorment very clean, Bery promp looking and they were all open carrying. Great selections of weapons and friendly service. I asked them if they had any D&W model 10's and 15's and they told me they were discontinnued and would be a pain to find. Saw some of the prices and they seem kinda high for a few. This is where I asked if I ordered a pistol how much would it cost to have it shipped to them (30 dollars)

Some of the pistols I have looked at and the prices were close

S&W Revolver (academy) around 450-500
    Baby Eagle 40 (Same) 400
    RIA 1911 (Gunbroker) 320-350
    I am currently looking at various revolvers and semi's and just saw the Sig Saur Mosquito nice pistol but just looks nice

The revolver will not be a conceal carry to the point that it will not (more then likely) ride with me anywhere other then to my grandmothers/aunts unless I already have the 1911 and will not see outside the house unless I take it to gun range's. I was thinking snub because it would be easying to put in a small lock box and away when my neice comes over (already have a lock box or two) and if worst case scenario my girlfriend can use (She wants to get her CCW license as well)She also carries a Boker Bulldog knife and I always carry something or other.

I would like to say Thank you all again for the help. I am printing these out to read when I get home and takeing notes as well :D
    J.Rodriguez
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I found the pistol I was talking about seeing at my local Academy

Rossi R35102 .38 Special +P Revolver

Specs
    Manufacturer Warranty (general):1 year with a lifetime repair policy
    Type:Centerfire
    Magazine Capacity:5
    Metal Finish:Blue
    Action:Double
    Product Weight:24 oz.
    Handedness:Right
    Rate Of Twist:1
    Caliber:.38 Special +P
    Manufacturer Warranty - General:1 year with a lifetime repair policy
    Barrel Length (in.):2
    Style:Revolver
    Product Length (in.):6.5
    Price : 259.99

I figured it would be a good first pistol especially to have at home. But the hand grips are HUGE

I am still new to firearms just know which ones I like. I am more of a knife guy and have Several variations but no clue on what to look for in a pistol.

I also found the .357 version

Rossi Model R46102 Revolver .357 Magnum 2 Barrel 6 Rounds Black Rubbe
    $257 online

Rossi offers medium and small frame revolvers in various barrel lengths-all feature deep contoured finger grooves in the grip for a solid grasp and maximum shooting comfort. Rossi revolvers are machined from forged steel and will routinely fire powerful .38 Special +P or hard-hitting .357 Magnum rounds for the lifetime of your revolver.

ok, I learned (thank you sixto) that Rossi is hit or miss. Saw that there is also two S&W's

Smith & Wesson Model 637 .38 Special +P Revolver (Has a Hammer)
    Features and Benefits
    •5-round capacity
    •1.75" barrel
    •Small, aluminum, Chief's Special frame with an exposed hammer
    •Rubber grips
    •Double-action trigger
    •Integral front sight and a fixed rear sight
    •Airweight series revolver with a matte finish
    •Weighs 15 oz. unloaded

Smith & Wesson Model 642 .38 Special +P Revolver (Hammerless)
    Features and Benefits
    •5-round capacity
    •1.87" barrel
    •Small, alloy/stainless-steel, Centennial-style frame with an enclosed hammer
    •Rubber grips
    •Integral front sight and a fixed rear sight
    •Airweight series revolver with a matte finish
    •Weighs 15 oz. unloaded

They are both 429.00
    I am not sure really on the advantages and disadvantages of hammerless/hamer other then it might get caught being drawn. However all advice is thanked
    I wanted to try and stay around 300 but 300-450 seems to be more of a reasonable choice I know these are NEW prices so I should be able to get them cheaper used....right..

Thank you all again
    J.Rodriguez

I picked up an airweight .38 S&W from the early 60's last summer for $299 and absolutely love it. I also have a hammerless and I don't like it as much. Smith makes such a nice trigger pull in single action (and double) that I love plinking with the .38 and haven't shot the hammerless in years.
    I also have a 6" .357 S&W from the 60's. LOVE it!!!

Jim

FYI I also have a 1911 (Kimber) that I don't carry, and really don't shoot much. It has the second-nicest trigger pull of anything I own. I just love the simplicity of the revolvers....

If you plan on getting a 1911 any way, why are you getting a revolver?

It would make more sense to get the one that you're gonna carry, whatever it is, and practice with that.

A HD pistol not on your person is worthless. A snub revolver would certainly suffice, if you'll practice with it (i.e. professional training), and carry it whenever possible.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Lots of mentions of S&W model 10s....looks like Bud's just picked up a boatload of them in 3" with a police trade-in. Dang good price with the free shipping - Used Smith and Wesson Model 10 38SPL 3" $269.00 SHIPS FREE
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

VIP Member
    sounds like you're just wanting a revolver for the heck of it, since as you said....you're getting a 1911 to carry
    if $$$ is an issue, then I'd get the 1911 first and it would suffice for everything for now (HD and carry)
    get a .357, 3 or 4 inch so you can have flexibility to shoot .357 and .38 in the future
    I just got a GP100 and its a great revolver, could be used for carry with the right holster, and would be great for the HD like you have stated
    I wouldn't go with a .38 only shooting gun (642, etc) until you want a pocket carry 5-shot
    just my $0.02
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    Lots of mentions of S&W model 10s....looks like Bud's just picked up a boatload of them in 3" with a police trade-in. Dang good price with the free shipping - Used Smith and Wesson Model 10 38SPL 3" $269.00 SHIPS FREE
    Problem solved!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow! Great deal on 3-inch Model 10s. I've got Model 10s in all kinds of other barrel lengths. That makes me want to add an inexpensive example of a 3-inch to the menagerie. Pinned barrel and everything!

I'd sure rather have a well used 30+ year old Smith & Wesson Model 10 than a new Rossi for use with all kinds of .38 Special ammunition.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Another vote for the S&W Model 10.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links