Revolver Question

This is a discussion on Revolver Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have (and I know it too) been asking Duk TONS of questions about pistols. I have always wanted a 1911 and plan to buy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Revolver Question

Revolver Question

I have (and I know it too) been asking Duk TONS of questions about pistols.
    I have always wanted a 1911 and plan to buy one but right now I am also looking at a revolver because Home Defense is more of what I am looking at. We have several rifles in my house (My step dads) and I live at home to take care of my mother who keeps telling me "Nothing will happen"

I figured a .38 snub nose would be what I want in a 6-8 but have only seen 5 round chambers.
    I am not particularly familiar with revolvers and dont want hammerless because it wont see the outside of the house unless something really bad happens. (War)

One thing where I live is we constantly have illegal immigrants that go past our house and try to get into the yard on occasion.

Story:
    I walked next door to my grandmothers house (right next door to me) She has a fence and I walked in and locked the gate behind me next thing I know theres two guys by the fence asking if they can come in and make a few phone calls. I tell them its not my house I was just checking on the residence so no. A cop drives into my neighborhood and they start asking me to let them in because they are hot and have been outside a while. Maybe for some water, I said I couldnt because it wasnt my house, Cop stops and talks to them. One was arrested and the other took off running. A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I got home late (1:30) and there was cloths outside thrown next to one of our trucks My girlfriend took a pic and said "We have naked illegals"

What would you all reccomend in a revolver around 300.

Thank You
    J.Rodriguez
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

This.

Nothing would fill your needs any better than a good, used 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10. These are commonly and universally available for $300 or less with varying surface conditions. Check out GunBroker and have an FFL holder to order you one. This shabby but serviceable example was rescued from a local pawn shop a couple of years ago for $150. It may be finish impaired but mechanics are first rate and bore is nice. I'd rather trust this one than any new .38 Special revolver currently on the market.

A six-shot Model 10 can effortlessly handle a steady diet of +P .38 Special loads and with less recoil than the lighter weight snubs. Model 10s are quite accurate and typically shoot to point of aim with most 158 grain loadings, standard or +P. The will group decently close to point of aim with other bullet weights out to any reasonable self defense distance (and a few unreasonable ones too). They wear in rather than wear out and are completely trouble free. These revolvers make great choices for household defense and can be carried concealed in the right IWB or high-rise holster.

Two-inch versions of the Model 10 are available and actually quite common. Because of the popularity of the barrel length they are generally priced higher though.

I have a lot of different handguns, both revolvers and automatics, but my first handgun, a Smith & Wesson Model 10, has been a favorite friend for 35 years now. It is the most often carried and used of all the handguns. Despite being "run through the wringer" with heavy use it shows no signs of tiring.
    OD*, pistola, oneshot and 4 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I’ll second the Model 10 also, nice solid reliable revolvers. They were carried by many police departments before semi-autos took over and lots are available on the used market. You may want to look for a Model 15 also, same model with adjustable sights.

Be sure to check out J&G Sales they have bucketfulls of used S&Ws that fit your price range.

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smi...ath/16_211_431
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

+ another on the Model 10. Real old work horses.
    Attached Images
    Old School and pistola like this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I’ll second the Model 10 also, nice solid reliable revolvers. They were carried by many police departments before semi-autos took over and lots are available on the used market. You may want to look for a Model 15 also, same model with adjustable sights.

Be sure to check out J&G Sales they have bucketfulls of used S&Ws that fit your price range.

Revolver

You betcha on the Model 15 as well that msgt/ret mentions. There are some forum members here that have some finer examples of the Smith & Wesson Model 15 than this 1967 vintage example. When the configuration first came out in the late 1940s it was called the Combat Masterpiece. It's adjustable rear sight and Baughman ramp front sight were considered quite a step up from the standard police revolver of the day.

wmhawth has a couple of dandy Model 10 variations shown there. That 3-inch is one of the more scarce barrel lengths and is hardly ever seen. It is a cult favorite among the knowledgeable who admire the Model 10 for serious social purposes. His is a really nice one. His modern made 5-inch is somewhat uncommon, a barrel length that was more popular in an earlier era.

As msgt/ret's link reflects, most of these Smith & Wesson models came in stainless steel as well. Both .38 Special and .357 Magnum models were available as Models 64, 65 66, 67, and 68, all sharing the K-Frame design of the blued steel Models 10, 13, 15, and 19. If one likes stainless steel then they are hard to beat.
    pistola likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    While I am not going to say anything bad about the S&W models 10 and 15 don't overlook the K frame 357 Magnum. They will also fire the 38 Special cartridges. The model 10 and 15 are great guns to say the least. The same gun in 357 Magnum gives you more options in ammo. Check out the S&W models 13, 19, 65 and 66. The last two are stainless steel. Granted the K frame 357 is no longer made there are still plenty of them out there for those who appreciate them. If you still are interested in 38 Special only revovlers then the S&W models 10, 15, 64 and 67 are hard to beat. As in the 357 the last two are stainless steel. One thing about stainless steel is that they are rust resistant not rust proof as some inexperienced owners might think. Good luck in your search. Sometimes the search is as enjoyable as the purchase. Also think about taking a good course on the legal uses of the handgun and do get range time with your gun after you buy it.
    As for asking questions please do. That is how we learn without making mistakes others have made. Also these forums were designed to share information from one to another. I am grateful for those who have shared their knowledge with me and hope to pass that knowledge on to others. Lets all give new and less experienced shooters the benefit of what some of us had to learn the hard way.
    oneshot likes this.

I regularly carry the Ruger SP101 as a BUG pocket carry. Although I practice the .357 rounds quite a bit, I stoke it with 130gr .38 sp+p Hydroshock when I carry. It makes much less recoil, improves accuracy on follow up shots, and is just as effective a stopping round. I used to think that was all BS until I did some comparison shooting. I was much better with the .38's. If I carry the full boat, it's usually 125 gr Golden Sabres in .357, but there's a lot of wasted energy in flash/bang/recoil out of the shorter barrels. I save the heavy .357's for the Smith 686 6" barrel.
    I like the wheelies because they're idiot-proof, feel very nice in my hand (rather than palming 14 rounds of .40), are pocket-able, proven reliable rounds, and with the Ruger, you can shoot it all day without numbing out, so I've gotten pretty good with it.
    I still carry my Glock 23 90% of the time, but a nice snubbie fits a lot of carry situations where you may not want to IWB the semi.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Sorry... But, I have to stick with my Windicator. It's my favorite gun of mine; 6 rounds .357magnum (.38spl as well, of course). I got a 2" bbl, all blued, for $300 after tax. You should be able to get one with a 4" or 6" for not much more than that. New.

EAA Corp.- European American Armory Corporation
    ----------------
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I have (and I know it too) been asking Duk TONS of questions about pistols.
    I have always wanted a 1911 and plan to buy one but right now I am also looking at a revolver because Home Defense is more of what I am looking at. We have several rifles in my house (My step dads) and I live at home to take care of my mother who keeps telling me "Nothing will happen"

I figured a .38 snub nose would be what I want in a 6-8 but have only seen 5 round chambers.
    I am not particularly familiar with revolvers and dont want hammerless because it wont see the outside of the house unless something really bad happens. (War)

One thing where I live is we constantly have illegal immigrants that go past our house and try to get into the yard on occasion.

Story:
    I walked next door to my grandmothers house (right next door to me) She has a fence and I walked in and locked the gate behind me next thing I know theres two guys by the fence asking if they can come in and make a few phone calls. I tell them its not my house I was just checking on the residence so no. A cop drives into my neighborhood and they start asking me to let them in because they are hot and have been outside a while. Maybe for some water, I said I couldnt because it wasnt my house, Cop stops and talks to them. One was arrested and the other took off running. A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I got home late (1:30) and there was cloths outside thrown next to one of our trucks My girlfriend took a pic and said "We have naked illegals"

What would you all reccomend in a revolver around 300.

Thank You
    J.Rodriguez
    You can get a Colt Detective, great classic snub, considered by many to be the epitome of snub-nosed revolvers. But they would be $400 and up. They shoot 6. Are a dream to shoot and highly accurate.

For home protection, you could also consider a 4". There are MANY Smith & Wesson 4" ex-police revolvers at used sections of gun stores. Also snubs. Usually police shot them little, so they are in very nice shape internally, but they often have holster-wear. But who cares. These can be had for $300-$350. Charter Arms also has 38 snubs. Very reasonable in price and I hear they are good guns. You might look at those. If you know nothing about revolvers you might have someone who does go with you to go a gun store: there are specific things one can do to determine the working-status of a revolver - could check those out for you. Look around on Gunbroker to get an idea of some models in Smith & Wesson, or prices of Colt Detectives - THE prime Colt snub - for when you shop in gun stores.

Revolvers are great: simple in operation, safe, little goes wrong with them usually. Just practice at the range with whatever you get.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

The Detective Special is one snub that is uniquely suited for concealed carry or home defense. Just as easy to conceal as 5-shot models, it holds 6 rounds of any sort of .38 Special goodness one wishes to apply. I pocket carry a Detective Special quite often when I have to go with tucked-in shirt. Only problem is, it is tough to find a $300 Detective Special these days. Colt made a huge mistake discontinuing the Detective Special just as the popularity of concealed carry took off.

While I am not going to say anything bad about the S&W models 10 and 15 don't overlook the K frame 357 Magnum. They will also fire the 38 Special cartridges. The model 10 and 15 are great guns to say the least. The same gun in 357 Magnum gives you more options in ammo. Check out the S&W models 13, 19, 65 and 66.
    The 6" Model 19 seen as my avatar makes a good house gun as well as a good gun to have afield and at the range. Good guns for the OP to consider.
    <------------

Thank you all for your reply :D Im also asking a few gun enthusiast on my bike forum and everyones telling me S&W :D so thats the brand dosnt really matter what caliber i figured .38 because it seems the cheapest. Thank you all again
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    I'm a tad confused. You say it won't see the outside--- in which case you can have a long barrel not a snub--- but then you tell of the incident while checking your grandma's next door.

It sounds as if you need a snub for pocket carry when going over to the other house. If so, I'd go hammerless and settle for the 5 shots. Get a shotty for in the house.

Given the environment you described you want something either on you or very handy ALL the time. A snubby or an LCP will fill that niche better than a 1911 and better than a Model 10 with a 4 inch barrel.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The Detective Special is one snub that is uniquely suited for concealed carry or home defense. Just as easy to conceal as 5-shot models, it holds 6 rounds of any sort of .38 Special goodness one wishes to apply. I pocket carry a Detective Special quite often when I have to go with tucked-in shirt. Only problem is, it is tough to find a $300 Detective Special these days. Colt made a huge mistake discontinuing the Detective Special just as the popularity of concealed carry took off.
    And I don't understand why they don't bring back a "Classic Detective", like their repro 1911s - or like S&W does with their hallowed models of the past. I mean, it's a no-brainer......

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Thank you all for your reply :D Im also asking a few gun enthusiast on my bike forum and everyones telling me S&W :D so thats the brand dosnt really matter what caliber i figured .38 because it seems the cheapest. Thank you all again
    .38 Special is a good round for the home (or anywhere) - it'll do the trick if you do your part, it's much easier to shoot than something like a .357 Magnum - a round like that will go through walls - what you don't want. A 38 has a much better chance of staying in the immediate room you're in - (though a lot depends on the walls in your home).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links