Defensive Carry banner

Practicing with a flashlight pays off

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  64zebra 
#1 ·
Pics are a bit gory, so you are warned.

I can't say I've done it extensively. And I don't need to hold a BG at gunpoint after dark on a regular basis. But I've done it occasionally to make sure I can operate a handgun while holding my flashlight on target.

Well it came in handy last night. We were wrapping up the day in camp, putting up the food and I was generally cleaning up the campsite for the night. I was walking back to the van when a copperhead about 3' long crossed the trail in front of me. The thought crossed my mind to take him with my G19. But I had my Ruger Mk II in the van, so after he gave me enough room I went and grabbed the Ruger. I figured if he had high tailed it into the woods when I got back, then no harm no foul. Well, he was headed over towards camp. I'm generally a live and let live guy with snakes. But there was no room in camp for my kids and a copperhead.

The flashlight froze him. One shot just below the head and another in the head while holding the light on him.

About 15 minutes later I shot another one, a bit smaller, that came through the middle of camp. His fate was the same. Needless to say, after we all got bedded down no one got back up last night. I was hanging safely in the hammock. I had both pistols on a plastic tote under me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice shooting, but did you eat them. They do taste good...:smile:

#7 ·
It seems here in the South, more people are bitten by copperheads than any other poisonous snake. Most bites are not fatal, but then some of are!

That picture looks like the aftermath of a meeting with the Fat Lady in B.C. comic strip.

#11 ·
Dunno yet, he's being salted as we speak.

Dude, your flashlight's lanyard is almost as big as the snake!!!!!!! :smile:
Yeah, keeps me from digging around in my pocket for it. That is funny though.

Nice shooting, poor camp site selection.:rofl:
Nah, campsite was a beauty.

#12 ·
Great campsite! I think you did the right thing to protect your family, since the snake was headed directly to the campsite and a copper head snake bite can be lethal if not treated quickly. I'm glad that the flashlight paid off.

#14 ·
Nice choice of campsite. Poor choice of travel route by the snake. My most recent snake encounter was just a garter snake on a running trail around here. He was having a hard time getting off the trail and there's a lot of bicycles. I helped the little guy off the trail so he wouldn't get run over.

Good shots on your part!

#17 ·
nice campsite, makes me jealous with our bone dry ground, no trees, no rain, and 100 degree day......again, we really need that tropical storm to flood Texas....slightly

way to dispatch of the slithering devils, that 3 footer would make a nice hat band

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.