Practicing with a flashlight pays off

This is a discussion on Practicing with a flashlight pays off within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pics are a bit gory, so you are warned. I can't say I've done it extensively. And I don't need to hold a BG at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Practicing with a flashlight pays off

Practicing with a flashlight pays off

Pics are a bit gory, so you are warned.

I can't say I've done it extensively. And I don't need to hold a BG at gunpoint after dark on a regular basis. But I've done it occasionally to make sure I can operate a handgun while holding my flashlight on target.

Well it came in handy last night. We were wrapping up the day in camp, putting up the food and I was generally cleaning up the campsite for the night. I was walking back to the van when a copperhead about 3' long crossed the trail in front of me. The thought crossed my mind to take him with my G19. But I had my Ruger Mk II in the van, so after he gave me enough room I went and grabbed the Ruger. I figured if he had high tailed it into the woods when I got back, then no harm no foul. Well, he was headed over towards camp. I'm generally a live and let live guy with snakes. But there was no room in camp for my kids and a copperhead.

The flashlight froze him. One shot just below the head and another in the head while holding the light on him.

About 15 minutes later I shot another one, a bit smaller, that came through the middle of camp. His fate was the same. Needless to say, after we all got bedded down no one got back up last night. I was hanging safely in the hammock. I had both pistols on a plastic tote under me.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Nice shooting, but did you eat them. They do taste good...

You can put 2 notches in the handle ! Good shot.

I really hate poisonous snakes,That reminds me of the time there was a 6 foot copperhead outside the Base PX,he didn't survive either
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nice shooting, poor camp site selection.
    BaconHunter and Cory1022 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Got bit by a copperhead on the ankle when I was 10 hurt like hell for a long time as I can remember even after the hospital. Needless to say I can't stand the rascals.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Got bit by a copperhead on the ankle when I was 10 hurt like hell for a long time as I can remember even after the hospital. Needless to say I can't stand the rascals.
    It seems here in the South, more people are bitten by copperheads than any other poisonous snake. Most bites are not fatal, but then some of are!

That picture looks like the aftermath of a meeting with the Fat Lady in B.C. comic strip.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

And just as the copperhead was trying to turn his life around and get his GED.

What, no pepper spray/seasoning first?
    JDE101 likes this.

A pair of hatbands in the making?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Dude, your flashlight's lanyard is almost as big as the snake!!!!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A pair of hatbands in the making?
    Dunno yet, he's being salted as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Dude, your flashlight's lanyard is almost as big as the snake!!!!!!!
    Yeah, keeps me from digging around in my pocket for it. That is funny though.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice shooting, poor camp site selection.
    Nah, campsite was a beauty.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Great campsite! I think you did the right thing to protect your family, since the snake was headed directly to the campsite and a copper head snake bite can be lethal if not treated quickly. I'm glad that the flashlight paid off.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Good shoot'n!! Two Copperhead's playing around a campsite! Not a good thing! Glad you saw them, and took care of the problem so well.

Nice choice of campsite. Poor choice of travel route by the snake. My most recent snake encounter was just a garter snake on a running trail around here. He was having a hard time getting off the trail and there's a lot of bicycles. I helped the little guy off the trail so he wouldn't get run over.

Good shots on your part!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

OD*
    Now there's a good snake.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links