Chiappa firearms owners or potential customers....FYI

This is a discussion on Chiappa firearms owners or potential customers....FYI within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Chiappa adding RFID Chips to their guns. MKS suggests concerned consumers “wrap the revolver and their head in aluminum foil” | The Firearm Blog I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Chiappa firearms owners or potential customers....FYI

Chiappa firearms owners or potential customers....FYI

Chiappa adding RFID Chips to their guns. MKS suggests concerned consumers “wrap the revolver and their head in aluminum foil” | The Firearm Blog

I am not the conspiracy around every corner type or one to wear a tin foil hat but I dont want anything able to be tracked on my guns, regardless of the intent or reasoning for it.

That couple with their condescending reply to concerns about the new usage of this chip is enough to make me not buy anything from them...period.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I would presume the chip can be removed.

I do not like Ruger for their complicity with the Clinton administration era gun ban and restriction legislation, but I think this is a little different. If your weapon is stolen this will be a Godsend. If the government is using chips to track weapons on law abiding citizens I would not like it. It is definitely a double-edged sword that could be wonderful or horrible.
    shooterX likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

How is this different from a tracking with a serial number, other than it can be read at a distance?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

On their end for manufacturing, it's a great idea, but not so much for the end user.

I wonder if the magnetic pads that stores use to deactivate security tags would work in this situation?
    jem102 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    How is this different from a tracking with a serial number, other than it can be read at a distance?
    Tracking with a serial number would require somebody to hold the gun and visually inspect it to get the serial number. Plus the recievers used to pick up the RFID tags are not exclusively available to governments or manufacturers. Thieves have been known to pick up RFID signals off passports to steal personal information. I wouldn't want any potential thief or BG to know I am carrying or if I have guns in my house.
    jem102 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    From a satellite perhaps?
    Guest1 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Another manufacturer added to my "DO NOT EVER BUY" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    From a satellite perhaps?
    No chance. We're talking a few feet, tops.

EDIT: OK I stand corrected. This test however requires highly specialized equipment.

http://www.tombom.co.uk/extreme_rfid.pdf
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

It can be removed easily as it is glued on. It is typically read with a scanner from a few feet away. It is proven however that these chips with a proper antenna can be read from as far as 30 meters. They are in the new passports and have been used for ID theft before. The ease of removal is no big deal, but the fact that they took a very condecending tone with people (ie: customers) is what makes me put the final nail in the coffin of NEVER buying from them ever.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Well that's one gun maker I have never purchased from and now never will. While I understand what they want to accomplish, at least in writing, their attitude and (in my mind) what they are not telling us has voided that out.
    Easily removed is simple enough but unless they have something that can reach the center of a tightly packed pallet of weapons their measurement of a few inches can not be accurate. Even a warehouse has to do inventory I would think.

I guess I'll be scratching that Chiappa Rhino off my wish list absent any information debunking this report.
    jwhite75 likes this.

Regardless of wether or not you think RFID in your guns is a bad idea the condescending attitude of this company towards their customers (American gun owners) is despicable. I would never by anything from them.

MKS is the distributor of Hi-point, Chiappa, and Tuff1 grip covers.

I think they made a grievous error in not only their stance but their decision, this has gone viral all over the net and firearm owners all are reacting the same. Nothing like alienating your customer base. Great job MKS, I was actually going to buy a Rhino just to say I did and shoot it..... I changed my mind.

I heard that they will render you impotent and you will only be able to shoot blanks in the future....LOL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I heard that they will render you impotent and you will only be able to shoot blanks in the future....LOL
    That's just if you hold them close to your ear while shooting for long periods of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links