How many have lied about performance? - Page 2

How many have lied about performance?

This is a discussion on How many have lied about performance? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can't remember any FTF/FTE issue I've had that hasn't been either ammo or mag related. WWB ammo has been a pain for me for ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How many have lied about performance?

I can't remember any FTF/FTE issue I've had that hasn't been either ammo or mag related. WWB ammo has been a pain for me for years. I won't even buy it anymore. I only use Corbon ammo in my TCP because so far it works each and every time. I don't even fire practice ammo in it.

I had a mag for my Ruger MK1 that fell apart and was unrepairable. And a couple of aftermarket Glock mags that drove me nuts until I rebuilt them with Glock parts.

The only gun that I had a problem with that I couldn't trace to a mag or ammo was a S&W Sigma 9mm I had. That gun would fire 2 rounds with one pull of the trigger about once every 500 rounds. That gun went bye-bye real fast.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    When I read such reports, I try to find at least 10 different reports and then I read between the lines. I never trust entirely what is on the Internet. Nonetheless, when I test out a gun and I do happen to encounter failures, I disclose them since this might help someone make a better decision on which gun to carry and probably help them save their lives.

I have an HK USP Compact that after 3,000 rounds has had only 2 FTE that was ammo related. A Walther P99AS that after 1,000 rounds has had 0 FTF/FTE, a S&W 442 that had problems but was related to lead ammo (forgot to see this in the user manual). All of my other weapons (shotgun, rifles and AR) have been very reliable.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If I have an issue with a firearm, I WLL mention it where ever I can simply to help educate or warn someone else. I thnk it is incumbent on all of us to be factual about firearms and if you got a less than steller piece, man up.
    Tzadik, TSiWRX and deadguy like this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Im to much of an A-hole to lie about the guns I prefer. Face it, we have all had some problems with our weapons systems. A good example would be my last training session. My smith had one double feed, and one failure to go into battery. They both happened later in the day, after about 2000 rounds. That really isnt something to knock the gun about (we all know the gun was dirty). Like others have said, you have to read between the lines on a lot of these reviews...
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

"Also many gun malfunctions can be caused by " greenhorn" or "nimrod" error, and not the gun itself."

This is the most insightful thought of this thread! By a huge margin this is the problem with most malfunctions It is painfully obvious to observe when one is on a busy public range.
    farronwolf likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I bought a Glock 22 11 years ago because of their reputation for being so durable. Less than 500 rounds and my guide rod broke. Besides that, no ftf so far.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I've never had a reason to lie about how any of my firearms perform. It seems pretty pointless to me. What do I care about what anyone else thinks about what I shoot or how it performs? The only thing that matters is whether or not I KNOW it works!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    We all read how so and so gun performed perfectly right out of the box at the first range session. Then we read that 10,000 rounds later it is still malfunction free. How much of it is true? Dont we all want our fellow forum members to think we have the perfect gun and it could could do no wrong?

I've even said it before. Even though there was that one time in the first 100 rounds that it didnt feed correctly or eject correctly. Just blew it off as a break in issue and acted like it never happened when giving the review.

I realize there are true break in issues but sometimes it really is a malfunction.

Anyone else want to admit to it?????
    Sure, I've glossed over minor issues on the few reviews I've posted.

It all has to be taken with a grain of salt, & impressions of the author based on other readings.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I wonder if some lie about it on public forums out of brand loyalty. We've all seen the folks that bash certain brands. Along comes someone else that has one of those particular brands or models, or buys one, and will swear up and down that it has been flawless from the time the first mag was inserted. Some folks, I believe, will give false reviews just to try shutting people up and bad-mouthing their favorite gun. Then again, they could be telling the truth. They could also be a 1500lb man that has never gotten out of bed much less shot a gun. Glad we don't have webcams attached to forums.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I wonder if some lie about it on public forums out of brand loyalty. We've all seen the folks that bash certain brands. Along comes someone else that has one of those particular brands or models, or buys one, and will swear up and down that it has been flawless from the time the first mag was inserted. Some folks, I believe, will give false reviews just to try shutting people up and bad-mouthing their favorite gun. Then again, they could be telling the truth. They could also be a 1500lb man that has never gotten out of bed much less shot a gun. Glad we don't have webcams attached to forums.
    Some do lie, but I would like to believe that the folks in the gun community would be a better sort....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Some do lie, but I would like to believe that the folks in the gun community would be a better sort....
    Same here.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I have never lied or exaggerated about my gun's performance. I remember every single malfunction I've ever had because I find them disturbing, to say the least. However, what makes my stories different is that I don't have any idea how many rounds I've gone through. I don't keep track of it. Generally when I go to the range I put 50 to 100 rounds through each gun that I happen to bring that day. And I go to the range about once or twice a month.
    • My Glock 19C (Gen 2) Has only malfunctioned once since I've had it (over 10 years). It was a stove-pipe.
    • My Taurus TCP 738 has never malfunctioned (owned 1.5 years).
    • My Walther P22 almost always fails to feed on the first round in the magazine. It has also failed to eject one time. (owned 6 months)
    • My Wife's Walther PK380 has never malfunctioned that I know of (owned 1 year)
    • My Wife's Sig Sauer P238 has never malfunctioned (owned 2-3 months)
    • My Browning Buck Mark 22 had failure to eject on at least 10 occasions. (Owned it 10 years, but recently sold it)
    • My Sauer & Sohn 38H fails to feed constantly.. need to get it fixed.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let's see. . .
    Glock 30: FTE'd on the second mag fired. This I'll chalk up to nimrod as I'd only fired a semiauto once before (1911 some thirty+ years earlier) and I knew I'd limp-wristed it as it caught me by surprise with its short reset. Had some issues with 200 grain lead SWC reloads in an aftermarket barrel. Works fine with 230 LRNs and factory barrel. So no issue with the Glock and its factory parts.

S&W 4566: Used cop gun. Eats everything I load into it. Never a hiccup, reload or factory.

S&W 6906: Used cop gun. Only one box of factory thru it so far, no problems. Trying some LRN reload next time out.

Honestly!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The para I normally carry failed today... But it was due to a flat spring I had installed... Honestly the last time I trust "professional gun show gunsmiths"...

I replaced the ruined spring with the stock one. I don't know how many rounds have been fired with my edc. But I do fire mostly reloads with 200 grain lead safe flat nose.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If you have so much ego invested in your firearm's perfect performance...

Don't ever shoot it.

I've had a Glock 19's slide lock spring break on me, Dry fired/live fired a J-frame into needing a gunsmith, had an AR-15 barf on me due to lack of lube and blown the muzzle break off it...

And those are the guns I've kept because they are reliable. They were used hard, and when that happens, things go down.

If you can't accept it, don't shoot.
    Harryball likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links