How many have lied about performance?

This is a discussion on How many have lied about performance? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would tend to judge a machine by design and quality of parts.... Not a track record. With proper maintenance almost any machine can be ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How many have lied about performance?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I would tend to judge a machine by design and quality of parts.... Not a track record. With proper maintenance almost any machine can be 99% reliable... But there is no way someone can say a gun will never fail.

Things can happen. Like the first time I ever found a round of ammo with its primer installed backwards... Ever get a can of soda out of a pack that was empty? I have... A few times. Nothing is perfect even with great QC. One in a thousand can happen.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I agree, it's frustrating when people lie/exaggerate about their guns capabilities or reliability. But hey I guess that's the internet, the place where you can be that alter ego you always wanted to be.

The two semi's I have:
    Bersa 380: A couple of jams early in it's career, but once I settled on blazer ammo or SD ammo no problems.
    Ruger LCP: Multiple FTE's (15? 20?) through about 300-400 rounds, different ammo. Immediately took it to Ruger (they are about 2 min away) and they immediately put a new extractor in and I had it back and shooting flawlessly in a week. I was very impressed with my one Ruger CS experience.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I don't think it's lying, probably lack of recall of a particular incident. Truthfully, how many people go to the range with a pad and pencil and jot down notes about each and every round fired?

Out of the thousands of rounds fired how many people recall exactly what happened with every round?

Unless there are controlled tests being conducted I chalk it up to perception. If hundreds of people have a perception that a particular firearm is reliable, then I'll probably look into one.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Well....I see where your coming from, but I think the point is that its a very "selective" lack of recall that tends to bother folks. Everyone wants to be able to promote the guns they personally own, and sometimes in doing that, certain - objective - things get left out.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

We I cant tell a lie My p22 tarus was a huge hunk of

Thats why I took it back and got a refund

I see no reason to inflate my gun's performance.

Since I started keeping round counts for my newer pistols I am better able to keep track of and report any malfunctions.

SR9c 2030 rounds no malfunctions
    LC9- 1440 rounds with 3 FTE
    LCP- 1300 rounds with 2 FTE

older guns
    P90- not sure of round count and since I've really started shooting more the last few years no malfunctions.
    MKIII- not sure of exact round count but 5,000 to 7,000 rounds. No clue how many malfunctions but hardly any, but nothing irregular for shooting bulk .22 ammo. I did have to send it in to Ruger once for sear spring repair.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Moderator
    If I'm gonna lie about something, it dang sure wont be about a gun and how it performs...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If I'm gonna lie about something, it dang sure wont be about a gun and how it performs...
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    • My Glock 19C (Gen 2) Has only malfunctioned once since I've had it (over 10 years). It was a stove-pipe.
    • My Taurus TCP 738 has never malfunctioned (owned 1.5 years).
    • My Walther P22 almost always fails to feed on the first round in the magazine. It has also failed to eject one time. (owned 6 months)
    • My Wife's Walther PK380 has never malfunctioned that I know of (owned 1 year)
    • My Wife's Sig Sauer P238 has never malfunctioned (owned 2-3 months)
    • My Browning Buck Mark 22 had failure to eject on at least 10 occasions. (Owned it 10 years, but recently sold it)
    • My Sauer & Sohn 38H fails to feed constantly.. need to get it fixed.
    I guess this is murphy's law.. I said my Taurus TCP has never malfunctioned before. But the day after I posted this, I went to the range and it had a failure to feed. Not sure why. Anyway.. I guess it is still pretty reliable, though.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

This is a really strange thread in some ways. Just the posting of it implies that the expectation is that people will deliberately misinform.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    This is a really strange thread in some ways. Just the posting of it implies that the expectation is that people will deliberately misinform.
    No, don't say it.

I think there is a lot to be said about where the failures stem from. Like has been suggested already nimrod errors or new shooter errors can be readily identifiable. Magazine failures are a bit harder to chase down, especially if one doesn't have ready access to replacements or such.

Ammo can be easy to identify as a problem if you have other stuff there at the range to swap to. When I have FTF or FTE on my reloads when I am purposely loading at the very bottom of the charts it isn't the guns fault. My wanting a round that is just enough to make the gun function doesn't mean the gun fails because I loaded .1 of a grain under what the gun requires to run smoothly.

So if I say I have had no issues with my Taurus 24/7 for instance, (I know some won't believe it) that doesn't necessarily mean I have never had a failure. It means that the gun has never had an issue, because I traced the failure to something else, like my reloads or the person limp wristing, or they were riding the safety and that didn't allow the trigger to reset. None of that is a failure of the gun. By the same token, when a person shoots my wifes G19 and they limp wrist it and have a failure that isn't the gun, because if she or I can take the same gun, same ammo/mag ect and run it with out the same failure it definately is the operator that caused the issue.

I guess when we discuss a guns performance, we need to be sure we are talking about the gun, not anything else. However, some may disagree with my approach or thinking.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My full size Baby Eagle, has to have over 7k rounds through it since 2007. The only problems that I have had were my own home cooking (reloads). the first 2k or 3k were either factory new or factory reloads of various manufacturers. Nary a problem of any sort.

My brandy new Baby Eagle full size polymer was FTFeed right out of the gate. Not the ammo, not the mags, not the shooter. Barrel issues. Currently still at the gunsmith getting corrected (ramp and throat fluff and buff).

I suspect there are just as many buggy guns as there are failure free in the same make and model. You'd be surprised what .001" can do to screw your world.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    No expectations from anyone. Just a simple question asked of the members.

I SUSPECT that some lie in order to protect or boost the reputation of their particular gun, brand or model, but i do not EXPECT that many do this, or will admit to it.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I tell the truth, even if its one malfunction in a pistol I really want to work. I will try to figure it out, whether ammo or gun.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    We all have FTF/FTE incidents at some time. I find that in my semi-auto pistols it comes down to the quality of ammo most of the time, or in the case of my MK III, if I didn't go over it and clean it pre-range trip after a couple of months then it will jam after 150-200 rounds. Happens every other spring to me after sitting in the case over cold winter/spring months up here in the northwoods.

My RIA has had one FTE once, and that was with a new clip that was bent slightly causing it to jam. A pair of pliers and a small tweak, and no more issues with it.
    Whaaaa? you mean mag?. Sorry pet peeve. I have had a few FTF and FTE and FTNF in my life. FTNF Failure to not fire. Anyhoo, self abuse aside, I have had no issues with my revolvers except the ejection rod on my 629 came a little loose. My 1911 had some bad federal ammo in it during the recall, but Federal replaced that with four boxes of premium ammo since the box was a recall and it jammed my gun up before the recall came out. I love good customer service. My XDM has had maybe 4 failures since I got it a year ago and thats maybe one every 300 rounds. So far, I have been very lucky. My AK on the other hand jammed every few hundred rounds till I switched to Tapco mags, failure to load. I rack and tap and away we go.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links