I opened my big mouth

This is a discussion on I opened my big mouth within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "You have a Benelli" "I have a what?" "That box over there?" "Oh, what's it for? Some _______ came in that as a Christmas present ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I opened my big mouth

JD
    Administrator
    "You have a Benelli"

"I have a what?"

"That box over there?"

"Oh, what's it for? Some _______ came in that as a Christmas present from my brother."

2. Remove Ads

I understand the precautions that some people have about letting strangers into their home, but sometimes you have to sell something big and there is no way around it. In college, I sold some stuff on craigslist and there weren't any problems. Keep your head on a swivel.

Bought a new leather sofa to put in my bedroom. When it was delivered, three guys brought it up the stairs and into my bedroom. I had completely forgotten that I keep three rifles on my bedroom gun rack above the bed...an AR-15, a shotgun, and a .22 rifle. These guys had been eyeing the house as they moved through it and I could immediately see that their three sets of eyes all found my artillery at the same time. One asked, "Are you a hunter?" I replied, "No." "Then what are those guns for?" What out missing a beat, I blurted out, "Those are my anti-theft devices." Unless I buy more furniture, I don't believe I will have to worry about seeing those guys show up uninvited.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that he's a teacher, should give you some peace of mind. Also that the little girl knew what a Benelli was is a good sign to me (he's teaching his kids right) I probably would have tried to put together a trip to shoot some clays, I'm always looking for someone to shoot/hunt with.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it, unless the Jr. High teacher is also a trained safe cracker, and his two daughters are 'break-in' buddies.

I'm with ret,^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guy sounded as if he was an average honest joe, with two kids, a wife and a work a day life.

He don't want your stuff.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Hey, you learned a lesson via a little girl and her teacher daddy. Next time you'll know to be more cautious, but I'm 99 & 44/100th sure you got away clean on this one. Sleep well...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

ret has it spot on. They even named the family pooch Benelli.......gotta love it.

Yes, be a little more careful in your forethought as to who comes over to your home, but a middle-skool teacher with two young'uns in tow isn't a red-flag IMO.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that he's a teacher, should give you some peace of mind. Also that the little girl knew what a Benelli was is a good sign to me (he's teaching his kids right) I probably would have tried to put together a trip to shoot some clays, I'm always looking for someone to shoot/hunt with.
    I agree with this as well.

I find it ironic that you're worried about this one person who paid you full in cash but you have no hesitations about sharing the same info with thousands of other strangers on this forum.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    I agree with this as well.

I find it ironic that you're worried about this one person who paid you full in cash but you have no hesitations about sharing the same info with thousands of other strangers on this forum.
    HAHA, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Thats funny

Pretty much anyone can find out for example that I am an instructor for the MN carry permit. After all I advertise to drum up busniess. That said it pretty much means I own and probably carry guns. It goes with the territory and I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. It's never been an issue.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

But, you know he has a NOVA. LOL.

But then, we all know now too.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

uhmmmmboy a benelli where abouts do you live bubububuuuuu-deeeeee?

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I'm with ret,^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guy sounded as if he was an average honest joe, with two kids, a wife and a work a day life.

He don't want your stuff.
    Not to mention a dog named Benelli. How cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My wife doesn't understand why I say absolutely not to having a garage sale. Yeah, I'm going to let people come into my garage and stake it out so they can buy old kids clothes for 50 cents. I don't think so. Garage sales are like window shopping for crooks.
    If someone wants to steal my garbage cans and a couple of half empty bottles of windshield wiper fluid they can have at it. :) If/when I have a garage sale, I put things I don't want people to see or I don't want to sell elsewhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links