I opened my big mouth

This is a discussion on I opened my big mouth within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was selling a desk on Craig’s List. A buyer came by to look at it. He was in his 30s and had his two ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I opened my big mouth

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I opened my big mouth

I was selling a desk on Craig’s List. A buyer came by to look at it. He was in his 30s and had his two daughters (7, 10) with him. He arrived in this honking pick up. In our conversations, he told me that he was a junior high school teacher, he and his wife need a new desk for their home office and various other chit chat. He looked at the desk and decided to buy it. Paid cash.

As we were loading it, one of his daughters came out to use my bathroom. She returned to the garage as we were disassembling the desk to put it in his car. Then she said, “you have a Benelli?” This took me off guard as my shotgun was locked away in my safe.

“Huh?”, I replied brilliantly.

“You have a Benelli shotgun”, she said. Then she pointed to the box the shot gun came in which was inadvertently displayed in a prominent place in my garage. She only mentioned it because they have a dog they named Benelli.

Then the dad asked which one I own. I said the M4. “Oh, a GOOD one. I have the little Nova. My friend has…blah blah blah”.

I am thinking to myself, “what did I just do? I just told a complete stranger I own a very expensive shotgun.”

That was pretty much the end of that thread of the conversation. The loading of the desk went well and he drove away happy with the new purchase. I am a little nervous I offered this info to a stranger, although he seemed nice enough.

Comments.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't worry about it, unless the Jr. High teacher is also a trained safe cracker, and his two daughters are 'break-in' buddies.
    JDE101 and oneshot like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It happens, but I wouldn't worry too much. At least he (and anyone he tells) knows that you have a means to use deadly force in your home.
    sigmanluke and Erick46590 like this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    It's a risk you run every time you allow a stranger to come to your home. I always said I wouldn't but my wife posted her push-mower (yes, it's really hers) on Craigs list, and within two hours, a nice young Navy officer and his wife & newborn came by to pick it up. However, I did have it sitting in my driveway waiting for him, with the garage doors closed.

You're probably fine. I never let a stranger in my house though, not even the garage. I'm doing yard work as we speak (came in to cool off), and my garage doors are closed.

I usually don't let 'em in my garage:
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I clearly recall my Uncle in California (well to do doctor) back in the early 80's. We were visiting and his wife was working on cutting up and burning the box their hew color TV came in using the fireplace. They explained you did not want to put out the box out for garbage pickup as the BG would know what you had and break in to take it. To this day I'm careful about how I dispose of the boxe4s for high end items. Especially my guns and ammo. Not unlike those magazines some of you may be getting in a brown paper wrapping only in reverse. LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Chill out; you'll be ok

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about it much. It's locked up, and the guy sounded decent. If he owns a Benelli, he isn't likely to come take yours...after all, he doesn't have the sense not to overpay for a shotgun!
    canav844 likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Relax. If the guy's a teacher, he is probably clean. I needed several state and federal background checks just to be allowed near high schoolers as a short term instructor for a band camp. He also knows you have at least a shotgun, and most people don't get $1,500 shotguns without a few less expensive guns before it.
    DefConGun likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Gotta watch where & how you store boxes you might keep. I always turn the identifying sides in or cover them with something.

As for putting them on the curb for recycling, I turn them inside out - or if cutting them down to size per requirements, bundle them with the top & bottom panels turned inside-out.

Don't worry about confirming what may have been obvious, it seemed innocent enough...although I can understand how you were caught off guard. (My Benelli?!? )

Bet you didn't notice that the little girl stole your piggy bank! (JK!)
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Not to worry. It would have been worse if you didn't own one.

PS Did the little girl also look inside your medicine cabinet?

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Wonder if he's feeling the same about you after telling you about his shotgun? Maybe he got a big face palm when he got home.

You did'nt do bad, I know it suprised you when she ask about the shotgun & you knew it was in the safe locked up

Then she pointed out the box in garrage I keep boxes of purchases for the 30 day return & then cut em up as target
    for my range ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Frankly, I am surprised you let someone to your house at all. I realize that a desk is hard to sell off site and that I am a paranoid freak. :) I have NEVER had a craigslister to my house. never ever. I will jump through hoops and hoops to avoid that.

That being said. If your spidy sense wasn't tingling I bet everything is ok. Go online and check and see if that is really what he does. If so, no worries. Just another dude.

My wife doesn't understand why I say absolutely not to having a garage sale. Yeah, I'm going to let people come into my garage and stake it out so they can buy old kids clothes for 50 cents. I don't think so. Garage sales are like window shopping for crooks.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links