Problems with Sig (only)

Problems with Sig (only)

This is a discussion on Problems with Sig (only) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I have been trying out several models of semiautomatics that are available at our local range. For some reason, my wife seems ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problems with Sig (only)

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Question Problems with Sig (only)

My wife and I have been trying out several models of semiautomatics that are available at our local range. For some reason, my wife seems to have a problems with the two different model Sig 9mm that she has tried, a P229 and P239. If it were just the one gun, I would chalk it up to being a problem with that piece, but it is with both of them. The problem she is experiencing is usually failure to eject the casing properly in that it winds up stuck horizontally in the pin. She has also had one stick in the barrel with one being pushed up from the magazine. In almost all cases, removing the magazine and re-racking the slide solves the problem. The instructors have worked with her on making sure that she has a firm, high, grip and sufficiently locking her arms out to avoid absorbing the recoil, but the problem persists.

Today, we tried a couple dozen rounds in various models of 9mm, including a Glock, Beretta, Kahr, and the Sig. Again, the Sig gave her problems, but surprisingly it was the only one. I thought this was unfortunate, because construction wise I like the Sig and they seem to be good quality. Does anyone have any ideas as to why they could be posing such a problem for her?

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    The problem she is experiencing is usually failure to eject the casing properly in that it winds up stuck horizontally in the pin. She has also had one stick in the barrel with one being pushed up from the magazine. In almost all cases, removing the magazine and re-racking the slide solves the problem.
    Not quite sure what you mean by "stuck horizontally in the pin." Can you be more descriptive?

Sounds like you hit the "daily double" of two rental guns (which just happened to be Sigs) that are ready for spring replacement and/or minor overhaul. Sigs are among the most reliable pistols on the market, at least the 'traditional' models you've played with. Weak recoil springs and magazine springs can cause the types of malfunctions you describe, and also a tired extractor may have caused the failure to eject.

Do you have any friends with the Sig models you're looking at who'd be willing to let you try theirs?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Did the problem happen to anyone else with the same guns?

Could be a common problem known as "Limp Wrist" Usually seen with people who have weaker hand strength.
    HotGuns, SIGguy229 and sigmanluke like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Not quite sure what you mean by "stuck horizontally in the pin." Can you be more descriptive?
    Showing my ignorance here, I am not familiar enough with the parts terminology to know what the part would be called. IFrom parts diagrams, I think it is the back-end of the barrel actually. Fortunately, ignorance is curable
    I have attached a jpg image of a p229 and drawn an arrow and circle where the casing usually sticks. It would be oriented such that the axis of the shell would be towards the viewer of the picture, rotated 90 degrees from the angle at which it would be fired, pretty much like the circle is drawn.

My thought too was limp wristing, except that she has tried other autos and not had this problem and the fact that the instructors have worked with her a couple of times with these guns. She does have weaker hand and wrist strength, though, I have used both the P229 and P239 that the range rents and never had a problem. Until she tried other models successfully, I was becoming somewhat concerned because she seems to have a preference for autos over revolvers and I just know that if she had these guns in an SHTF scenario, that the first shot would both miss and fail to eject. (Note: I made the mistake of putting a titanium j-frame .38 in her hands. She shot it twice, got a red, sore hand and said no more. Guys - learn from my mistake and don't do this to your girls).
    Attached Images

OK, from your description, I'd say the round got stuck in the "ejection port" (a half teaspoon of cure for you).

There's also a chance that if teh range sold you reloaded ammo, if they were relatively light loads, together with a degree of non-rigid support from your wife's wrist and arm it may have created an opportunity for malfunction. I'd try to repeat the experiment with (a) you shooting, and (b) full-power factory ammo (both of you shooting) to see if the problem can be re-created.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

It's gotta be her grip. I have a considerably weaker grip on double stacks like the P229, and this very thing happened to me last week. I was shooting my husband's P229 and had a couple FTE's. Even though the P2022 very similar, I had less issues with that, and I've never had this problem with full size single stack weapons.

I would definitely suggest trying a single stack and letting her choose a revolver. Good luck to your wife and let her know she's not alone.

The ammunition was Mag-tech (made in Brazil) 9mm and I am rather certain it was the 9A 115 gr. Based upon the look of the box, bullets, very good reputation of the range, and number of empty boxes, I doubt they sold reloads, but I also think that they are going for value. What I would consider plinking ammo. One of the rules is that when you use their guns, you buy their ammunition, which I will say is reasonably priced. I have used noth the P229 and P239 that they have and I haven't had this problem with them. Normally, we trade off ever 25 rounds or so.

I am reasonably certain that weak wrist action is at least partially the cause. We are in the process of "the long wait" for our permits, after which we will buy our first gun. Except for the problems with the Sig's, we have both been quite partial to them. In fact, if we had our permits, we would have likely bought a used P229 that we saw on Saturday that looked like it had been lightly used and well cared for.

Just a thought, but you might want to try a pair of shooting gloves also. I use a pair of fingerless weight lifting gloves myself. The padded palms make a difference when you are doing a lot of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Just a thought, but you might want to try a pair of shooting gloves also. I use a pair of fingerless weight lifting gloves myself. The padded palms make a difference when you are doing a lot of shooting.
    That might work at the range,but in a SD situation theres a pretty good chance you won't have a glove on.It's extremely important that you carry a firearm that you put 100% faith in.I have a SA 1911-A1 and was shooting an IPSC course with,I have an injury and can't balance well,one target I liyterally had to rotate the gun sideways in my hand and when I fired the recoil instead of being inline with my arm caused my wrist to rotate back which caused a stovepipe everytime.The gun shoots 100% during a normal grip,If she has trouble shooting a Sig but doesn't have trouble with other makes,then you need to look at buying a gun she can shoot 100%
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That might work at the range,but in a SD situation theres a pretty good chance you won't have a glove on.It's extremely important that you carry a firearm that you put 100% faith in.I have a SA 1911-A1 and was shooting an IPSC course with,I have an injury and can't balance well,one target I liyterally had to rotate the gun sideways in my hand and when I fired the recoil instead of being inline with my arm caused my wrist to rotate back which caused a stovepipe everytime.The gun shoots 100% during a normal grip,If she has trouble shooting a Sig but doesn't have trouble with other makes,then you need to look at buying a gun she can shoot 100%
    I agree buddy, but hopefully in a self defense situation you won't be firing fifty to a hundred rounds at a sitting. The first few rounds are a piece of cake. It's the constant pounding that starts to wear on me after awhile.

I really like Sigs, but they may not be for everyone. I wouldn't fret too much, and move to something that she shoots well.

Quote Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
    I really like Sigs, but they may not be for everyone. I wouldn't fret too much, and move to something that she shoots well.
    +1 on liking the Sigs. I have already been teasing her by calling her "Glock Girl" and telling her I am going to get her a t-shirt with that printed on it since she did well with the Glock 19. In fact, I was watching holes appear in the the silhouette target in the red X and 9 point ring. Some of her best shooting so far. In actuality, we both did fairly well with it. The range owner suggested we also try the Walther PPQ that they have seeing as we did well with the 19.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Sounds to me like the issue is with the wife not the Sigs.

A P239 is a single stack gun with one of the smallest grips that Sig makes. This leads me to believe she is having a grip induced problem. Not everyone can shoot a Sig, everyone just wishes they could.
    sigmanluke likes this.

You may also want to try the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. It comes in compact and full frame, but either choice comes with three sets of grips that allow you to choose whichever offers the best fit for your hand. I shoot a Sig 226 .40 and absolutely love it, but it isn't as good a fit for my wife's hand. Fortunately, we have an excellent shooting range and firearms dealer nearby and we were able to try everything from a Sig 250 to the Glock 19, as well as many subcompact guns like the Ruger LC9, Kimber Solo, and Kahr (can't remember the model). She loved the Glock 19 as well as the S&W M&P9, but finally decided on the S&W M&P.

Good Luck!
    Hibby

Kimber Ultra Covert II (LG) .45 ACP Sig Sauer P226 Elite .40 Smith & Wesson 686 Stainless .357 Magnum
    Smith & Wesson Compact M&P 9mm Sig Sauer Mosquito .22

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links