Rock Island Armory 1911 Vs. Taurus 1911 (9m) - Page 2

Rock Island Armory 1911 Vs. Taurus 1911 (9m)

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory 1911 Vs. Taurus 1911 (9m) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Foo909 Do you have a picture of either with the mags? If there is one thing I do not like about the ...

View Poll Results: Which budget 9mm 1911?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rock Island Armory

33 76.74%
  • Taurus

6 13.95%
  • Other...Please Post Suggestion!

4 9.30%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rock Island Armory 1911 Vs. Taurus 1911 (9m)

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Do you have a picture of either with the mags? If there is one thing I do not like about the RIA's is the way the bottom of the factory magazine sticks out. I see Mec-Gar makes 7 and 8 round magazines...
    There are two types of basic magazines for standard sized 1911s. 7 and 8 rounders. The 7 rounders are flush with the bottom of the mag well and look just like a GI M1911A1. The 8 rounders will stick out of the bottom just a bit. Most people prefer these because they are easier to insert in the gun and you get an extra round.

However, I prefer the 7 round mags. Here is a picture of my compact/officer RIA 1911 with a flush fitting 6 round mec-gar magazine (officer mags hold one less than full sized 1911s)

Attached Images

I have both RIA's and Taurus 1911 style pistols and have had no problems with either, though I tend to lean towards the RI. That being said, both of my guns are in .45 ACP so I can't say how the 9mm performs. OTOH, I'm a fan of the 9mm and agree with another poster about the problems that seem to pop up when using 9mm ammo in a gun specifically designed around the .45 ACP. That's why I prefer a platform other than the 1911 in my 9mm pistols.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I had the RIA you have pictured, nice gun and fired every time (except for some JHP I tried perhaps too soon). Very accurate, manageable, and fun to shoot. Take down is pretty easy as well, as are most 1911's I believe.

Hard to beat it for the money, I ended up trading mine for a CZ P-01 however.

I don't know anything about the RIA but I was NEVER very pleased with my PT1911. Quite honestly the gun said "cheap"...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I know you said budget but, the first thing that came to mind was... Philippines vs. Brazil
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

How much ammo did you say you have in 9mm? Seems like you should just go all in and get the 45 and be done with it, you'll be much happier in the long run. And less to worry about in the permance issues. RIA all the way.

Taurus is a very reliable gun IMO, for the 1911's at least. One of my co-workers even uses one of them for his duty gun. I like the feel of them and they are very accurate also!

Matthew
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Here`s Two reasons to go RIA. Both in .45ACP and have over 3,000 rnds through them with NO problems. I do clean and lube after each session though. They are Excellent weapons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links