Rock Island Armory 1911 Vs. Taurus 1911 (9m)

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory 1911 Vs. Taurus 1911 (9m) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pretty much trying to decided between two 9mm 1911's. I currently have a BUNCH of 9mm ammo still stock piled after my recent sale of ...

View Poll Results: Which budget 9mm 1911?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rock Island Armory

33 76.74%
  • Taurus

6 13.95%
  • Other...Please Post Suggestion!

4 9.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rock Island Armory 1911 Vs. Taurus 1911 (9m)

Pretty much trying to decided between two 9mm 1911's. I currently have a BUNCH of 9mm ammo still stock piled after my recent sale of my Glock 19...just didn't fit my hand so well. Wanting a house gun and range toy. My current defensive ammo of choice is 124 Gr. Federal HST +P so the pistol MUST be at least +P rated. I want to stay with the 5" size because I've read any smaller than that can cause reliability problems. The only upgrades I plan on doing per say is possibly changing the grip's and sights.

Also looking on a budget...

API RIA 1911 A1 FS Tact 8: $438

Novak style fixed, front and rear sights. Dove tail front sight. Ambidextrous safety, beaver tail, skeletonized trigger, commander hammer and smooth wood grips.

Taurus: $484

I've owned everything but a revolver and a 1911, so this is what I've decided to try...also looking for other budget 1911 options in 9mm ONLY please. Would really appreciate comments on reliability and trigger pull.

Get the RI. I don't do Taurus.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Between the two I would choose the RIA. They have a good reputation for being a good gun at a great price. The Taurus, not so good of a reputation.

I know you didn't ask this but IMO there are better platforms out there for the 9mm in your price range. The 9mm doesn't seem to always work well in the 1911 platform (though it does seem to work best in the full size guns). The .45 and the 38 Super are a good bit longer than a 9mm and the platform was designed around these catridges. Many 1911s just seem have feeding problems in 9mm. That's why you don't see all that many of them.

Also you are shopping for the bottom of the barrel when it comes to 1911s. If RIA and Taurus made the best pistols nobody would be shelling out big bucks for the high end stuff. This is just my opinion, but to me the combination of a cheap 1911 in a caliber known to not always feed well is a recipe for disaster. If it were me I wouldn't buy either.

I'd like to suggest another pistol or two to you if you would be interested.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Having had experience with customer service at both companies the RIA is the better choice. I used to have a RIA compact that the recoil assembly came apart, sent it back to RIA and it was back in two weeks repaired and with a letter of apology. The ambi-safety came apart on the Taurus, sent it back and took three months for them to repair it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My brother-in-law has had great luck with a Taurus 1911 he bought some years ago when they were first brought out. My son has had great luck with his Rock Island he got in about 2008. Me? I like the Colt.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm on my thrid RIA--I started out with a GI model, shot the snot out of it, upgraded it to a tactical, shot the snot outta that one, and traded that for their new 2011 Tactical.

I think they are superb pistols for their pricing.

In other words--I highly recommend the RIA...
    BigD193 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Administrator
    RIA. Not even worth discussion IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

RIA, Actually the choices should be 1) the taurus 2) anything else

1) 1% of people
    2) 99% of people
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I've had excellent results with my PT1911, .45 ACP.

I would buy a 9mm version if the price was right.

But... I would rather save my money and get a Hi-Power, if it was my money YMMV
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Buy the R.I. and put a thousand rounds of hardball thru it. Clean and lube and your good to go.

OMO

bosco

I have the RIA 1911 FS 9mm. Great gun for the price. I had to replace the extractor after over 3500 rounds. Put in a WC BP extractor. It's good to go. Best I could do at 25 yds was about 4" but still within my tolerance.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Another vote for RIA. I have the mid/commander-size M1911A1. Very reliable and their customer service is great. I had an out of spec slide lock lever that wouldn't lock the slide back on empty about 50% of the time. I swapped a slide lock from one of my Kimbers and it functioned 100%. Emailed Armscor (RIA) about it and received a free replacement in the mail in a matter of days.

I highly recommend the RIA. I've got the full size GI model and the compact officer. Both have been flawless with FMJ and Golden Saber JHPs. They both love Mec-Gar mags.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I highly recommend the RIA. I've got the full size GI model and the compact officer. Both have been flawless with FMJ and Golden Saber JHPs. They both love Mec-Gar mags.
    Do you have a picture of either with the mags? If there is one thing I do not like about the RIA's is the way the bottom of the factory magazine sticks out. I see Mec-Gar makes 7 and 8 round magazines...

As much as I'll defend Taurus, RIA is the way to go in this case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links