The long, hot summer

This is a discussion on The long, hot summer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's now August and (believe it or not) it's even hotter here in E. Texas than it was in July! I know many other areas ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The long, hot summer

The long, hot summer

It's now August and (believe it or not) it's even hotter here in E. Texas than it was in July! I know many other areas of the country have been under the heat wave recently but with a hand full of exceptions it's been around 100 F or higher since early June in most of Texas. That's WAY too hot even here for so long and especially for so early in the summer. OTOH it read 111 degrees - actual temp, not heat index - in my yard today and the forecast is for 105-110 for at least the next two weeks. I now know the TRUE meaning of the phrase "Long Hot Summer".

Anyway, I've observed that on the few times I've braved the heat this summer and gone to my local outdoor range, there were almost no other shooters where there's normally at least a dozen and usually more. I know I've cut back on my time there and it seems others have as well. For those who've had to deal with the oppressive heat as well as me, what do you do to compensate for your reduced range time or do you just suck it up, sweat it out and endure the miserableness!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

I either suck it up and go to the range, or go to an indoor range. Just because it's hot doesn't mean I can slack in my training

Senior Moderator
    Right now it is 108 here and it is 6:22 PM. Last night it never got below 92.

I shot an integrally suppressed rifle that I built to check zero and make sure it functioned as it should before I gave it to the guy I built it for. I had to wear a bandana on my head just so I could see through the scope. I was soaking wet when it was over.

Its hard to get ambitious and shoot when sweat is in your eyes burning. You set a gun in the sun for a few minutes and when you pick it up it's too hot to shoot.

I hate the heat. My body functions best at 55 degrees, something that doesnt happen enough here in Arkansas.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You set a gun in the sun for a few minutes and when you pick it up it's too hot to shoot.
    No kidding. When I went to the range yesterday I left my bag of guns in the back of the car while we met some relatives at a restaraunt afterwords. When I got home and pulled the guns out of the bag, I think I got 1st degree burns in some places.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Luckily there are several indoor ranges in the Dallas area.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    No kidding. When I went to the range yesterday I left my bag of guns in the back of the car while we met some relatives at a restaraunt afterwords. When I got home and pulled the guns out of the bag, I think I got 1st degree burns in some places.
    Buy some shooting gloves

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I lived in San Antonio for 5 years, so I completely understand you and feel your pain with regards to the heat. It can get so unbearable that you just want to stay indoors all day with the A/C blasting. One time I had to move to a new apartment during the middle of the summer and I lost 10 lbs of body weight in 1 day from all the sweating. I almost passed out twice!

Don't forget to stay cool and drink lots of fluids so you don't overheat or dehydrate. Oh, and try to find an indoor range for God's sake!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Honestly I throw my MentalGear wrap on my head, bring along at least a liter of water, and suck it up. I prefer indoor ranges when it's this hot and bright (special thanks to the Florida sun for that one), but I still head outdoors for a bit of practice.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I too suffer E Texas heat--over 33 days straight over 100. I don't really like our only local indoor range and am too tight (been told I squeek when I walk) to pay to shoot when I have a range here at the farm and a larger one that is free 10 minutes away. The grandkids and I go and shoot early when we do and we don't shoot as long. The all day gatherings at the range with friends is put off until fall/winter/spring. I air conditioned my machine shop and that is where I want to spend my time--guess I need to convince SHMBO that I need an indoor, ac equipped range.

Its cooling off here. It's almost 10 oclock and its down to 95.

It's 95 here at 10:15 PM. I just heard the weather on TV and tomorrows high is set for 109-112. Suppose to be that way for the next two weeks. Just had a nephew return from Iraq for two weeks and he said these temps are what he's been dealing with over there. He had been looking forward to some "cool" East Texas weather in the low-mid nineties. OUCH!!

BTW, my way of dealing with the heat is to shoot later in the day (after 7PM if possible), spend more time reading my gun rags that tend to accumulate and spend more "hands on" time with my guns. That means cleaning, dry firing, doing minor projects that I've been putting off, reviewing my handling and safety procedures, etc. It's not range time but I consider it quality time. Actually, I consider ANY time I spend with my guns quality time!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I use the heat to train. In MI the humidity has been so bad, its not funny. I figure its like training in the winter. You never know when youll need that skill set.

You may be in a gunfight when its 105-115,you need to know what its like to have sweat in your eyes,have sweaty hands and try to maintain a proper grip,use this as free training,it could come in valuable,just remember its better to prepare for something you might have to respond to than to respond to something your not prepared for.(K.D.C.1st Recon).

Yep, while 105F or higher is possible on any given summer day here in Texas, it's the long, unrelenting string of them that becomes dismal. East Texas is more humid than west central Texas where I live so the misery is amplified.

I'm going to the range from 8:00 to about 10:00 in the morning. It's still pleasant under the awning in the shade as long as the humidity is low and the temperature is half-way reasonable.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

FWIW, the thermometer was showing 114 at 2:30 PM today and that's in the shade. I was at Wally World yesterday afternoon around 4 PM. When I got in my car to come home the cars thermometer said the temperature in the lot was 121!

I understand the need for realistic training scenarios but there's NOTHING about temps in excess of 110 for months on end that's realistic unless you're in Iraq! Like bmcgilvray said, it not the occasional heat wave but weeks and weeks on end of triple digit heat, then throw in humidity for good measure, that eventually wears you down.

It's bad enough when you're forced to deal with this heat because of your job or out of necessity but I can't see being miserable and uncomfortable by choice. Besides, temperatures this high are a real danger, even for those who are use to it and can properly deal with it. Sadly, most don't and that's when heat stoke, stress and exhaustion kill. For anyone that wants to tough out this miserable hot weather we've had to endure since June, you have my greatest respect... and sympathy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links