1911 and it's role in the fading old west

This is a discussion on 1911 and it's role in the fading old west within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since I have come back to the 1911, I have just finished an armorers course on the complete disassembly of the firearm. My goal is ...

Thread: 1911 and it's role in the fading old west

Since I have come back to the 1911, I have just finished an armorers course on the complete disassembly of the firearm. My goal is to become highly proficient in it as possible.

For me, a big part of that goes in learning it's history. I am pretty familiar with the military history of the design, but am curious as to it part in the time period of the transition from the last days of the old west.

I have found some old pics of a Texas Ranger who was holstering one while the rest carried peace makers.
    Additionally, I have read that the design was meant for mounted Calvary , and this lead to some added features we have today.
    Any comments or history on this by anybody?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    In the book Packing Iron Gunleather Of The Frontier West by Rattenbury there are a couple of nice, genuine, antique Cowboy Gunleather Colt 1911 holsters shown.

Time to buy or rent "The Wild Bunch", a great Peckinpah movie with more than a modest amount of historical accuracy in spite of the fictional story line. The Mexican generals are greatly interested in acquiring the new American military weapons, such as the 1911s William Holden and his gang carry.

Dang, I had a photo of AZ lawmen from right around AZ statehood days and although most carried wheelguns, there were two with 1911s and even one with a Luger!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Additionally, I have read that the design was meant for mounted Calvary , and this lead to some added features we have today. Any comments or history on this by anybody?
    The US Calvary requested a safety of some sort be incorporated into the weapon system so that our mounted troopers would not have to let go of the reins to place the M1910 (M1911 w/the safety) into a safe condition, Browning/Colt designers came up with the thumb safety (the pistol had a grip safety since the Colt Model 1907 U.S. Military Trials .45 ACP)

An old lawdog carrying Mexican (IIRC, from 1936).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Links