Glock Carbine Conversion Kits

Glock Carbine Conversion Kits

This is a discussion on Glock Carbine Conversion Kits within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im interested in a CAA Tactical carbine kit for my Glock 19, but not prepared to spend the crazy $500USD for it for what essentially ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glock Carbine Conversion Kits

  1. #1
    Member Array heylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    394

    Glock Carbine Conversion Kits

    Im interested in a CAA Tactical carbine kit for my Glock 19, but not prepared to spend the crazy $500USD for it for what essentially is a nice looking plastic stock with some picatinny rails glued onto it.

    Im wondering if the Airsoft version (Wii Tactical) would work ? The only difference I can see is the CAA is made from aluminium reinforced polymer and the airsoft is aluminium reinforced ABS.

    The recoil is all managed by the pistol itself with the only slide contact being the cocking clip that goes on the back of the pistols slide to interface with the external cocking mechanism.

    So all being equal is the strength of polymer vs ABS a deal breaker ? how about heat from muzzle flash ?

    Links below

    Airsoft Version - $98US
    Wii Tactical RONI Glock Carbine Kit for Marui/KSC G17 Black [AS3079] - $98.99 : Airsoft-Club.com, Online Shop for Airsoft Parts & Tactical Gears

    Real Version - $500US
    CAA Tactical | RONI: The Pistol-Carbine | RONI-G1
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,739
    Deleted
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array Ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    545
    well, unless you pay a 200$ SBR stamp, this would get you a ticket to club fed...

  4. #4
    Member Array heylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    well, unless you pay a 200$ SBR stamp, this would get you a ticket to club fed...
    Not really we have different rules here, under our laws this would be classed as a pistol accessory since the unit itself contains no barrel or any critical parts required for operation of the firearm.

    So back to my question, would it work ? bar the material difference ? ABS\Nylon Reinforced Plastic seems to be pretty strong and high operating temp as well (melting of 210 deg C)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array canav844's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    589
    Are you talking range toy, or so you can have a more accurate less recoiling home defense type weapon? If it's a range thing, go through 5 of the airsoft ones and if it breaks, oh well it's still cheaper than the $500 one; if it was to be employed in a defensive manner, I'd be paying the $500.

    I will also say that when I took my armorers course they had one and a few Glocks for us to drop in and play around with it a little (no ammo though so we couldn't use the range and actually shoot it); it's a quality item and if it wasn't so expensive (from what I've been told it's the 500 for the RONI, another 500 attributed for a Glock that can't travel out of state and the 200 SBR stamp) to do here in the US I'd be willing to jump through the paperwork hoops to get one.

    Glock Certified Armorer

  6. #6
    Member Array heylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Are you talking range toy, or so you can have a more accurate less recoiling home defense type weapon? If it's a range thing, go through 5 of the airsoft ones and if it breaks, oh well it's still cheaper than the $500 one; if it was to be employed in a defensive manner, I'd be paying the $500.

    I will also say that when I took my armorers course they had one and a few Glocks for us to drop in and play around with it a little (no ammo though so we couldn't use the range and actually shoot it); it's a quality item and if it wasn't so expensive (from what I've been told it's the 500 for the RONI, another 500 attributed for a Glock that can't travel out of state and the 200 SBR stamp) to do here in the US I'd be willing to jump through the paperwork hoops to get one.
    Fun range toy, mabey 1000 rounds per year tops. Thing is if its going to last 1000 rounds then its going to last indefinately.

    Mabay I should ask on the airsoft forums and find out how sturdy they are. I can see why a high strength polymer would be needed for something that simply holds the gun frame in place.

    The slide and all its associated recoil is contained in the slide since nothing on the roni unit (bar the cocking level) moves with the slide or contacts the slide.

    My biggest worry would be the heat from muzzle and wether or not the ABS\nylon plastic would be affected (vs polymer).

    I just cant see how CAA can justify the price tag, its not exactly a percision item at the end of the day, its a plastic case for your pistol.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,786
    6mm airsoft part on 9mm gun.


    Hmm, what could go wrong there?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array canav844's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    Fun range toy, mabey 1000 rounds per year tops. Thing is if its going to last 1000 rounds then its going to last indefinately.

    Mabay I should ask on the airsoft forums and find out how sturdy they are. I can see why a high strength polymer would be needed for something that simply holds the gun frame in place.

    The slide and all its associated recoil is contained in the slide since nothing on the roni unit (bar the cocking level) moves with the slide or contacts the slide.

    My biggest worry would be the heat from muzzle and wether or not the ABS\nylon plastic would be affected (vs polymer).

    I just cant see how CAA can justify the price tag, its not exactly a percision item at the end of the day, its a plastic case for your pistol.
    It's not just the slide that recoils, the frame of the Glock flexes from the recoil and the whole gun kicks up, the real Roni locks into the rail on the frame (does not work with subcompact Glocks) to help further absorb the recoil and transfer it to your shoulder for dead accurate shooting I'm not even sure if the Wii has that in the desgin.

    The slide of my Glocks does get really hot as i get into a range session, I could see that being an issue if the parts aren't the right fit. The Colt .22lr M4 is made by an airsoft company and rebranded, there's been issues with tolerances on parts, and durability and quality control; because the standards are different than that of a full blown firearms product manufacturer. If that slide is rubbing I can see it melting. I've got an outdoor range here that I may visit at 110F in the sun in the summer or -10F in the snow and wind in the winter; ABS is great around room temperature, but it may be too brittle and crack in the extreme cold or more prone to melting in the heat, polymer has a much broader temperature range. Now I'm working on an assumption here, but from what I know about NZ, it does seem to be a more tempered climate so it's probably not as big a concern for you.

    Do you want an iPod or a chinese knockoff, do you want a firearm weapon accessory, or an airsoft toy?

    Glock Certified Armorer

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    1,644
    Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    My biggest worry would be the heat from muzzle and wether or not the ABS\nylon plastic would be affected (vs polymer).
    Not to nit pick, but ABS and nylon are both polymers. Essentially anything that we consider plastic, resin, synthetic fabric, glue, or even wood are all polymers. I am not so worried about melting temperature. After a long firing session, only the barrel gets really hot and the slide gets a little hot. The Glock grip never gets that hot. I assume the airsoft carbine kit does not contact the slide at all (or else the pistol would not cycle) so I don't see a lot of potential for melting.

    My biggest concerns would be if the airsoft kit properly fits the frame (to securely hold it and give proper clearance for magine latch and ejection...) and if the general build quality is decent and safe. There is no real way to test these things without one in hand and putting a Glock in it.

    I have never really seen anything like these in person because of the short barreled rifle legal issues here in the USA.

    I can't see myself spending $500 on what is a $475 (around here at least) new in box pistol...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

  10. #10
    Member Array heylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    394
    Well the airsoft ones are designed for the Tokyo Marui and KWA Glocks which are 1:1 replicas right down to rail, trigger, blow back operation etc, so based on that I wouldnt see size tolerances and mounting being an issue.

    I also noted the Airsoft version is aluminium reinforced, so picking that the Nylon\ABS coats alloy plates undeneath which add weight and strength to the frame.

    I did find a You Tube vid today of someone who had fitted a Wii Roni to a real glock and a post on a forum stating someone had done it + fired many many rounds with no issues, only the screws needed some thread locker to cope with the added recoil.

    Hmmmmmm Im half tempted to get one and be a guinea pig as on close inspection the airsoft version seems to be ticking all the boxes. The fact that the CAA Tactical one is made of polymer means there isnt percision machining involved, its simply a cast item, provided the mold is true all copies should be fine and any minor slide rubbing could easily be solved with a dremel tool.

    Only thing I cant see in the pics online is how the cocking mechanism attaches, but assume one could by the CAA tactical part for cheap.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    I would go ahead and try the airsoft stock (wii?). For a hundred bucks, two things will either happen. It will work just fine, or it won't.

    If it doesn't work, but doesn't damage the airsoft stock, you could probably just sell it in an online forum to an airsoft guy and recoup most your money. If it does destroy your airsoft stock, well... you're only out $100.

    Disclaimer: I am addressing our friend who lives in New Zealand. For those who live in the USA, all NFA rules would apply for manufacturing an SBR.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  12. #12
    Member Array heylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I would go ahead and try the airsoft stock (wii?). For a hundred bucks, two things will either happen. It will work just fine, or it won't.

    If it doesn't work, but doesn't damage the airsoft stock, you could probably just sell it in an online forum to an airsoft guy and recoup most your money. If it does destroy your airsoft stock, well... you're only out $100.

    Disclaimer: I am addressing our friend who lives in New Zealand. For those who live in the USA, all NFA rules would apply for manufacturing an SBR.
    Sounds like you guys have silly firearms legislation as well :)

    I can just picture a criminal with a stolen rifle cutting the barrel down and saying, oh I better go get my SBR permit before I go and (rob this bank, do a drive by, go on killing spree)

    Best deterrant would be to ditch the permit rule and make a law that say if you commit a crime with an SBR you serve minimum 10 years jail with no parole

    Thats a different topic and thread though :)
    iamdougm likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

  13. #13
    Member Array heylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Not to nit pick, but ABS and nylon are both polymers. Essentially anything that we consider plastic, resin, synthetic fabric, glue, or even wood are all polymers. I am not so worried about melting temperature. After a long firing session, only the barrel gets really hot and the slide gets a little hot. The Glock grip never gets that hot. I assume the airsoft carbine kit does not contact the slide at all (or else the pistol would not cycle) so I don't see a lot of potential for melting.
    I checked today the Airsoft one is Nylon, may not be Nylon-6 like Glock Polymer but looking at strength and heat figures for the various nylon based polymers\plastics used from Airsoft to Automotive to Glocks, they are all close to the same properties.

    I cant see why it would need to be as strong as the pistol frame itself as its just a clip on accessory, if it was really that harsh then things like tactical lasers and flashlights on the glock rail would be destroyed as well.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

  14. #14
    New Member Array orbit1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1

    why has noone tried this forreal



    i would really want this to work forreal there are too many variables someone needs to post some pics or something i want to see if its real

    WII RONI-G1 with Glock 19c - YouTube


  15. #15
    New Member Array G23Father's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1

    Glock carbine conversion

    I was just curious, since the "real version" says that a single model will fit both the G23 and the G17 does that mean that the airsoft version would also fit a G23... seeing as it is made for a G17 replica?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

glock 19 carbine
,
glock 19 carbine conversion kit
,

glock carbine

,

glock carbine conversion

,

glock carbine conversion kit

,

glock carbine kit

,
glock rifle
,

glock rifle conversion

,
glock rifle conversion kit
,
glock rifle kit
,
glock sbr conversion kit
,
roni glock carbine kit
Click on a term to search for related topics.