UGLY: 27 "Assault Rifles Stolen From the Army

This is a discussion on UGLY: 27 "Assault Rifles Stolen From the Army within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 27 Rifles Stolen From Fort Irwin FORT IRWIN, Calif. -- More than two dozen assault rifles have been stolen from a Southern California military base, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SpencerB

Thread: UGLY: 27 "Assault Rifles Stolen From the Army

Exclamation UGLY: 27 "Assault Rifles Stolen From the Army

27 Rifles Stolen From Fort Irwin

FORT IRWIN, Calif. -- More than two dozen assault rifles have been stolen from a Southern California military base, and investigators sought the public's help as they looked to arrest suspects and recover the weapons, federal officials said Friday. Twenty-six AK-74 assault rifles and one Dragunov sniper rifle were stolen from a supply warehouse at Fort Irwin in San Bernardino County on July 15, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives says in a statement.

~SNIP~

ExSoldier's note:

I'd say these were "REAL" Assault Rifles, as in being select fire and not your run of the mill "media-assault rifles" aka the semi auto AR15's we're all familiar with!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    ~SNIP~

ExSoldier's note:

I'd say these were "REAL" Assault Rifles, as in being select fire
    I want real good odds before I bet against you.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    Anyone wanna bet they show up in Mexico?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That's a good bet, especially since the site of the theft is in Kalifornia!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I see that bet, and raise you an "Anyone wanna bet the BATF is already tracking them in Mexico as part of operation "fast and furious?"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Whoever took em better hope he covered his tracks well,I remember back in 1977 somebody grabbed an ammo can out of the back of a SP vehicle at the chow hall,it held 18 HE 40mm grenades,they found the ammo can off base but no grenades,they had a composite pic of a possible suspect,The guy saw the pic in an entry gate guard shack and it looked almost exactly like him,he drove over to the LE headquarters and turned himself in,he buried the grenades when he saw what he had.his next assignment was Fort Leavenworth Ks.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I thought you were guarding the weapons man????
    jwhite75 and Guest1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Whoever took em better hope he covered his tracks well,I remember back in 1977 somebody grabbed an ammo can out of the back of a SP vehicle at the chow hall,it held 18 HE 40mm grenades,they found the ammo can off base but no grenades,they had a composite pic of a possible suspect,The guy saw the pic in an entry gate guard shack and it looked almost exactly like him,he drove over to the LE headquarters and turned himself in,he buried the grenades when he saw what he had.his next assignment was Fort Leavenworth Ks.
    It got a lot looser in the 80's. I remember the 2nd Ranger Bn at Ft Lewis lost an M60 machinegun in the Nisqually River during a river crossing op and they didn't even drag the river. The kid who lost it had to pay for it and that was that. I think he got a wrist slap because he didn't have a dummy cord tied to the weapon and then to HIMSELF, but the evidence of that would have been a drowned Ranger at the bottom of the river when the 25 pound gun and all his other gear took him down .... blub-blub-buhBYE! There was also a rash at Ft Lewis then of Biker gangs supposedly ripping off M16s from unwary platoons not so deep in the woods and near public lands. But as much as I heard about stuff like that and we had constant base briefings on it from the G2 guys and the MP's, I never could verify any actual cases. Probably because the folks it happened to would have been unmercifully ribbed for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Then there was that guy in San Diego in '95. You know. The one that stole the tank.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Then there was that guy in San Diego in '95. You know. The one that stole the tank.
    That was from a National Guard base and he ran it down the highway until he high centered it on the concrete highway divider. Then a cop ran up and fired his sidearm down into the drivers bay thus demonstrating in action the principle of TRADE UP whereby a firearm of lesser caliber can be used by indigenous forces to secure larger weapons! What a demonstration.

Links