Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep? - Page 2

Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?

This is a discussion on Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by NY27 I've often thought about this. Luckily, I don't think that I could make it through the combo on my gunvault in ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I've often thought about this. Luckily, I don't think that I could make it through the combo on my gunvault in my sleep.
    I'd have to wonder about that...I've grown to instinctively 'finger in' the combo of mine that it's almost like second nature.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've always had lifelike dreams and have been known to react appropriately to scenes and threats. No way would I have a loaded firearm within arms reach while I sleep. I've never been know to sleepwalk, so all firearms are within walking distance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I do occasionally sleepwalk but have never fired a gun while doing so thank goodness.

The worst or weirdest thing I do is take a bath towel from the bathroom (I must he thinking about showering for work) and then I am found later in my guest bedroom sound asleep spooning the towel.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I used to sleep walk quite a bit when i was very very tired and stressed, one time i was hanging out with a friend a my girlfriend, i fell asleep watching tv and they asked me a question as they didn't know i was asleep. long story short i ended up getting angry and started yelling at them as i was convinced that i was at work fixing something and the more they laughed, i stood up because i was so mad and was gonna fight my buddy. then he stood up to stop me and once he touched my arm i woke up so i try to keep the gun out of arms reach when i am sleeping i just dont trust myself in my sleep

VIP Member

From the Darwin Awards.

Confirmed true by Darwin................

Midnight Special
    1992 Darwin Awards Winner
    Confirmed True by Darwin

(21 December 1992, North Carolina)
    Ken Charles Barger, 47, accidentally shot himself to death
    in December in Newton, when, awakening to the sound of
    a ringing telephone beside his bed, he reached for the phone
    but grabbed instead a Smith & Wesson .38 Special,
    which discharged when he drew it to his ear.

1992 Darwin Award: Midnight Special
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    So based on these responses, I guess the fiance wins the no guns in the house argument? ???
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=ppkheat;1995493]I actually know a guy who fired a .357 revolver in his sleep. Apparently he was having a very vivid dream, IIRC of someone breaking into his house. The next morning he got up, happened to remember the dream, went over and decided to check his gun and found it had an empty cartridge !!!! He began looking and also found the hole it made through his house.

FWIW this is an elderly guy, lives alone, no drugs/no alcohol. Other than being elderly he's a stable guy in good shape for his age. Interesting (and scary) that it happened to him. When my Dad got older he began having very vivid dreams, though he never fired a gun in his sleep.[/QUOTE

I don't care how old or how heavy of a sleeper you, are firing a .357 mag would wake your ass up. It would not be guessing and looking for a bullet in the morning.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    So based on these responses, I guess the fiance wins the no guns in the house argument? ???
    As per my post, just let her answer the phone!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Many murders have been committed while sleep walking. One case the guy actually drove his car then beat his girl friend to death and drove back home. He was found not guilty because, after all, he was asleep.
    I'd like to have the name and number of the lawyer that got him off on that one! That's a good lawyer!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I don't care how old or how heavy of a sleeper you, are firing a .357 mag would wake your ass up. It would not be guessing and looking for a bullet in the morning.
    The actual gun shot became part of, and anticipated, in his vivid dream. I hear what you're saying and a gun shot would more likely wake him up if he weren't dreaming about firing a gun. I know the guy very well and I believe what he told me, anyone spending some time with him would quickly learn he's a credible guy. He admitted what happened and has nothing to gain or lose about whether it woke him up or not.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    It would be interesting to know if medication played a role in either of these instances. I still recall the post about the relevance of doctors inquiring if there were guns in the household.
    There are a number of reasons why taking a thorough history, including firearm exposure/use, is important before prescribing any of a number of medications.

Sleepin meds, ambien, Lunesta, etc. have stern warnings about the likelihood of unusual behaviors including sleep driving, etc. I almost NEVER prescribe these meds for these and other reasons and in the rare event that I do write such a prescription, it is always for a very short time period and with underlined warnings.

It is important that acccess to firearms be restricted to times when people are alert and awake. A gun safe that requires several steps (e.g. a combination, a key) might help eliminate some of the risk.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    A few years ago, a man I met shot a burglar in the hand that had broke into his bedroom and was stealing his watch; it was his own hand he shot also. Part of the finger was gone and it was a common knowledge story around town. Woke him up real fast.

Only when I was a lot younger!

Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?
    No, but Groucho Marx once shot an elephant in his pajamas.
    I'm dating myself
    "How it got in there I'll never know."

Seriously, I keep snap caps in my bedside gun. and a full magazine on the nightstand.
    I spend so much time fondling a new firearm, and pulling the trigger on a snap cap,
    that I'm afraid I'll shoot a hole in the ceiling by mistake.

I have never heard of it happening until now and have not even thought of it honestly. I use a level three holster for my side of the bed (retired holster from work) while it's still easy enough to get to quickly I hope it's difficult enough to prevent me from drawing in my sleep.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links