Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?

This is a discussion on Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gigamortis I'd like to have the name and number of the lawyer that got him off on that one! That's a good ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    I'd like to have the name and number of the lawyer that got him off on that one! That's a good lawyer!
    Here you go...

STEVEN STEINBERG CASE

"In 1981 a Scottsdale, Arizona man named Steven Steinberg was accused of murdering his wife, Elena, with a kitchen knife. She was stabbed 26 times. The trial took place in Maricopa County Superior Court in 1982. Steinberg acknowledged the murder, claimed he did it while sleepwalking, and therefore was not sane at the time. Dr. Martin Blinder, a California psychiatrist, testified that the murder was committed under a scenario of "dissociative reaction," when Steinberg stabbed repeatedly stabbed his wife.

Steinberg didn't deny the fact that he had killed her, but he pleaded 'not guilty' because he claimed not to remember the crime. He was sleeping, and must have been sleepwalking at the time. Steinberg was found innocent by the jury, on the ground he was temporarily insane when he killed his wife. He walked away a free man.

Should Steinberg have gone to jail? Whether or not he remembered the act, he had murdered his wife. Was the fact he did it while asleep a rational defense? Was it even true? Diana Lindstrom-McClure, part of Steinberg's legal team, believed him. In a newspaper article she was quoted as saying she doesn't feel that he pulled the wool over anyone's eyes. "He was just a nice guy," she said.

Members of the jury were quoted as stating they made the correct decision. Even though they knew they were letting a murderer go, they felt they had no choice. They believed Steinberg was sleep walking and therefore not responsible."
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

I never heard of it, but I scared myself once.

I used to leave my gun, next to my bed, within arms reach when I am just laying there. In other words, I could be laying in bed, and just reach my hand down to the ground, and grab it. Well one night, I wake up and find my flashlight in my hand, which was kept next to the gun. It kind of freaked me out, and since then I keep my gun under the bed, where I have to get out of bed to grab it. If I would have reached 2" over, it could have been my gun, and who knows what would have happened.

Moral of the story, keep gun out of arms length when sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Sleepin meds, ambien,
    I personally know two people who crashed vehicles while taking Ambien.
    Neither remembered leaving the house. One crashed his motorcycle, but had no memory of the event.
    One minute he was in his living room, and when he opened his eyes, a doctor was looking him over in the hospital.
    The second wrecked his car a block from his home, and found a vodka bottle empty in his sink.
    He doesn't drink vodka.

Please spread the word about the dangers of these dangerous meds.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I knew a guy who when he got extremely intoxicated would mistake his bedroom closet for the bathroom. NO it wasnt me. I always used the kitchen sink. Just kidding.

Mine's in a lock box, so that my mind has to be engaged enough to open the lock box with the keypad and know the numbers.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

A LEO I worked with in early '70s was back from Nam less than a year, he kept his duty weapon within an arms reach in bed. He told me that he was having dreams of Nam most nights. One night the dream was very vivid and he woke with his revolver in his hand pointed at his wife who was coming back from the bathroom.

Since then I always keep my weapon at least far enough away as to be reasonably sure I'm awake when I get to it.

Had a roommate in college who woke up kinda loopy and shot the chair in his room. He thought it was an intruder.

My strangest sleep walking incident happened when I was 13. I had a dream where every towel in my house was on fire. So naturally I had to gather all of them and put them out

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

But unfortunately, none of the sinks in the house worked. So I brought all the towels down to the whirlpool pump and used a vacuum cleaner to bash it open. As soon as the freezing cold water hot my face I snapped out of it, and sat there thinking WDF! So I walked, soaking wet, upstairs to my parents room and knocked. My dad asks what happened and I explain what I was doing. Why??!! He asks. I shake my head, "Dad, I have

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

No idea.

Sorry my phone keeps making me submit early

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Know a soldier who fell asleep behind his M-249 while on the squad assault course. Woke up thinking someone had told him to fire, and let of a 3 round burst.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

SLEEP FIRINg

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Well, ahem, I must confess. A number of years ago I was sitting on the couch fondling my Warthog and watching TV. My dog was next to me. I woke up to a loud BANG and saw brass on the floor. I checked myself and then the dog (who was looking at me with a "WDF?" expression).

There were two casings on the floor. Evidently I had cocked and pulled the trigger and the recoil fired off another round.

All turned out OK, (long story, but I'll tell it if you PM me) but it gave pause to me watching telly again with a firearm in hand.
    I recently fell asleep as well with my side arm, I placed my pistol to the side of me and all I remember was waking up to a hole and pain to my right hand from a 9mm Glock Holow point ! What a nightmare I could not and still can't believe it took place ! Long story short all is well my hand is intact with a few months of hand therapy and surgery, never again will I leave my pistol next to me no matter how tired i am nor do i recommend anyone doing so no matter how good of a sleeper you may think you are, just think of that 1 dream you had that seamed so real and you got up and moved something or said something while sleeping , well it can become a reality ! take it from me its a bad experience and would not wish this on anyone! I am blessed that nothing serious happened that no one was accidentally hit and lost there life god forbid LESSON LEARNED no matter what, lock your pistols away people take it from me I have been around guns all my life and well now I have invested in a few safes! I hope this is helpful for someone and as embarrassed as i am I hope I can prevent someone from making the same mistake as myself !

Darwin award Winner
    Midnight Special
    1992 Darwin Awards Winner
    Confirmed True by Darwin
    (21 December 1992, North Carolina)
    Ken Charles Barger, 47, accidentally shot himself to death
    in December in Newton, when, awakening to the sound of
    a ringing telephone beside his bed, he reached for the phone
    but grabbed instead a Smith & Wesson .38 Special,
    which discharged when he drew it to his ear.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My Mistake

Hey guys, I just wanted to say something about shooting a gun in ones sleep.
    It is possible, I did it, at this moment I am very freaked out about guns and don't know how this happened.
    I awoke this morning to a gun shot, only to find my singleshot .410 I keep beside my bed in my hands, I had fired it.
    Put a pretty good hole through my roof, I am glad I wasn't aiming at anything in particular, because this is the most scared I have ever been in my life. Plus I'm only 19 and still live with my parents so my father is not happy to say the least, he thinks I was playing with it I guess. Just wanted to through this warning out there, if anyone has vivid dreams and keeps a loaded gun beside their bed, please be careful.
    Bark'n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Hey guys, I just wanted to say something about shooting a gun in ones sleep.
    It is possible, I did it, at this moment I am very freaked out about guns and don't know how this happened.
    I awoke this morning to a gun shot, only to find my singleshot .410 I keep beside my bed in my hands, I had fired it.
    Put a pretty good hole through my roof, I am glad I wasn't aiming at anything in particular, because this is the most scared I have ever been in my life. Plus I'm only 19 and still live with my parents so my father is not happy to say the least, he thinks I was playing with it I guess. Just wanted to through this warning out there, if anyone has vivid dreams and keeps a loaded gun beside their bed, please be careful.
    Levi, Welcome to the forum. And thanks for posting this!

I hope you didn't join the forum just to make this one post. This is the best gun forum on the internet and you are welcome here anytime.

As you said, those who have vivid dreams, and/or a propensity for sleep walking, needs to be very concerned with having loaded weapons at their bedside.

Everyone wants to have a means to defend close by and accessible. Especially at night when an intruder may already be inside the home by the time you wake up. But if you are a person who has vivid life-like dreams or nightmares, and or a person who walks in their sleep, you have an added risk of having a loaded weapon right next to your bed.

For people such as yourself, you may need to consider having a bedside gun safe for handguns and for a shotgun or rifle, you may need to consider having a gun lock or trigger lock on the weapon.

It may not be as immediately accessible, but you need to weigh the increased risk of having immediate access to a loaded firearm considering your dream-state. You don't want to kill or maim a loved one (family member) or yourself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links