Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?

This is a discussion on Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by NY27 I've often thought about this. Luckily, I don't think that I could make it through the combo on my gunvault in ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I've often thought about this. Luckily, I don't think that I could make it through the combo on my gunvault in my sleep.
    +1...I was just thinking the same thing.

2. Remove Ads

Jus

This just happened to ME!

It happened over 24 hours ago and I am still beside myself with anxiety and grief just THINKING of what could have happened. And it wasn't just a gun-it was a SHOTGUN. A double-barrel, sawed-off shotgun to be exact. All I know is I heard the gun go off, it was in my hands and my boyfriend was telling me to give him the gun. My heart was beating so fast it felt like it was about to explode.
    The gun was always kept loaded and under the bed on his side. He said I jumped up from the bed and ran around to his side, reached under the bed, grabbed the gun and pointed it toward the hallway outside my bedroom door. He said he asked me what I was doing, and that I told him there was somebody out there. No sooner than he jumped up to take the gun from me, I apparently pulled the trigger, because the gun did go off.
    I've had bad sleepwalking incidents before. I once injured myself so badly while sleepjumping, I had a bruise that literally lasted a full year. I wouldn't have thought that was possible, but it sure is.
    I am so thankful no one was hurt. Now I've been searching online to see if this has ever happened before, and I'm so VERY thankful to learn a sleepwalker should never keep a loaded gun. I'm an intelligent person, but it never occurred to me that I could possibly shoot the gun while I was asleep!
    Now this is really going to rub gun people the wrong way. I had never shot this shotgun before. I had only seen it fired by a big friend of mine. Since seeing the amount of kick-back while HE was holding it, I've been afraid of firing it ever since.
    Every sleepwalking incident I've had, I always wake up in an enormous state of fright. I pulled that trigger on a shotgun I was afraid to shoot. My boyfriend said I was holding it hip-level. I think it's amazing I didn't lose my grip on that gun, but it is a testament to the white-knuckle fear behind my grip at that time.
    One good thing has come from this. I've learned that a loaded gun should not be in the same house as a sleepwalker. I'm here to tell you I traveled more than a few steps before leveling that shotgun and pulling the trigger. I answered appropriately when my boyfriend asked me a question. He said he could not tell I was asleep (it was dark so he can't say if my eyes were open or closed, if that matters). It can and did happen to me. I sure hope it never happens to any of you. I've learned my lesson the hard way, but I praise God it wasn't much, much worse.
    Thank you for having this thread, because I have learned important safety measures I should have learned long ago. This should never have happened.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links