Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?

This is a discussion on Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We've all heard of people sleep walking, cooking and eating in their sleep and even driving in their sleep. Have any of you ever heard ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ever Heard of Anyone Shooting a Gun in Their Sleep?

We've all heard of people sleep walking, cooking and eating in their sleep and even driving in their sleep. Have any of you ever heard of someone shooting a gun or even carrying a gun in their sleep?

Justified likes this.

Breaking news... April of this year.

Plant City man who sleeps with a gun under pillow for safety accidentally shoots off fingertip

Quote Originally Posted by ABC Action News
    ...The 78-year-old man, who deputies have not named yet, told deputies he's slept with a Smith & Wesson .357 under his pillow for 40 years. Deputies say the man went to bed Tuesday night with the handgun in place.

"He told us he had a bad dream," said Sheriff's Captain Frank Baker. "When he woke up his finger tip was gone."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have never heard of this happening.

It would be interesting to know if medication played a role in either of these instances. I still recall the post about the relevance of doctors inquiring if there were guns in the household.
    DoctorBob likes this.

You guys have never took ambien and gone to the range?! It is just too much fun, but I never remember how I did....
    Harryball likes this.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    I used to sleep walk whenever I was really tired and stressed. I once tried to relieve the helm of my ship in my underwear - I had even called up to the lookout, collected contact info, taken down heading and speed, etc. prior to doing so.

For some reason, it stopped as I got older. Even so, my guns stay in safes at night.

VIP Member
    I actually know a guy who fired a .357 revolver in his sleep. Apparently he was having a very vivid dream, IIRC of someone breaking into his house. The next morning he got up, happened to remember the dream, went over and decided to check his gun and found it had an empty cartridge !!!! He began looking and also found the hole it made through his house.

FWIW this is an elderly guy, lives alone, no drugs/no alcohol. Other than being elderly he's a stable guy in good shape for his age. Interesting (and scary) that it happened to him. When my Dad got older he began having very vivid dreams, though he never fired a gun in his sleep.
    Last edited by ppkheat; August 3rd, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

This is why most experts say to not keep a gun within arms reach of your bed. make sure you at least have to stand up and take one or two steps to grab it. Saw a case one time where a guy woke up and saw a shadow moving at the foot of his bed. He shot at the movement and blew half of his foot off.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Thank God I haven't shot a gun while sleepwalking, but last night I had a dream and there was a lot of shooting involved against some home invaders. They did not like my Mossberg!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Senior Moderator
    While I personally have not heard of anyone shooting in their sleep I wouldn't be surprised if it happened (and according to some articles, it has).

When JD got back from Iraq he would sometimes wake up while looking for his rifle. My sister used to be a HUGE sleep walker and while we didn't necessarily pick up guns or anything dangerous she would do some pretty odd things and spook us in her behavior.

I think anyone with a history or tendency to sleep walk should be very careful about having a firearm close by at night or whenever they sleep. The likelihood of them hurting themselves or someone they love WAY outweigh the risks of being attacked in their sleep.

As far as I know the craziest thing I've ever done is talk in my sleep.

...The 78-year-old man, who deputies have not named yet, told deputies he's slept with a Smith & Wesson .357 under his pillow for 40 years. Deputies say the man went to bed Tuesday night with the handgun in place.

"He told us he had a bad dream," said Sheriff's Captain Frank Baker. "When he woke up his finger tip was gone."
    You know, they didn't say whether he woke up immediately after he shot himself, or if he woke up as he regularly did the following morning and then discovered the missing finger.

If he woke up several hours later after the incident, I gotta say, he's one hell of a sound sleeper!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Many murders have been committed while sleep walking. One case the guy actually drove his car then beat his girl friend to death and drove back home. He was found not guilty because, after all, he was asleep.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I've often thought about this. Luckily, I don't think that I could make it through the combo on my gunvault in my sleep.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Well, ahem, I must confess. A number of years ago I was sitting on the couch fondling my Warthog and watching TV. My dog was next to me. I woke up to a loud BANG and saw brass on the floor. I checked myself and then the dog (who was looking at me with a "WDF?" expression).

There were two casings on the floor. Evidently I had cocked and pulled the trigger and the recoil fired off another round.

All turned out OK, (long story, but I'll tell it if you PM me) but it gave pause to me watching telly again with a firearm in hand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links