.380 ACP in the woods

This is a discussion on .380 ACP in the woods within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by QKShooter It is not ever wise to attempt to perforate and eliminate potentially dangerous animals with sub-effective handgun calibers. I agree. I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .380 ACP in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It is not ever wise to attempt to perforate and eliminate potentially dangerous animals with sub-effective handgun calibers.
    I agree. I think it would be best if she genuinely understands the difference between 2 legged predators encountered on the street vs. 4 legged predators likely to be encountered in the woods.

You should have a frank discussion with her regarding why a heavier bullet with deeper penetration is imperative to have in the woods and not just an option you might consider for street defense. Carrying the extra weight is just something she should learn to tolerate as opposed to having someone else carry her body out of the woods.

When in remote locations and facing a variety of potential animal threats which vary in size, weight, thickness of skin, and aggressiveness, it's better to convince her of the seriousness of the potential for defense than to let her wander around in the woods with a pea shooter.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    The difference is considerable.
    The .380 gets a 90 grain bullet out at 800-900 fps depending on the gun.
    The 9mm+p will get a 125 grain bullet at 1200 fps.
    Applying Newton's second law: Force = mass X acceleration

.380 gets 72K force units, 9mm gets 150K force units. Yes, the difference is considerable.

Administrator
    I'm not Newton but, I do know (for a fact) that if she does end up taking a few "less than lethal" .380 shots at a bear or a bobcat & she "gets lucky" & the animal "takes off"....you are now left with a wounded animal roaming around that is potentially far more dangerous and irrational to the next human that it happens upon.

With regard to predatory humans - we shoot to stop the immediate deadly threat.
    When threatened by a four legged animal we have an additional human moral responsibility not to just wound, cripple, or maim.

I'm not Newton, or a scientist of any sort. But I do know that biggger heavier bullets consistantly make a bigger splash when fired in mudholes than smaller ones.

I call this the hillbilly " bang/splash " observation theory.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I don't want to upset anyone but I've fished/backpacked to high lakes in the Rockies for over 50 years from New Mexico to British Columbia and never had a need for a gun. Most of this was by myself. Predators have only been a problem between trips. (two legged types)

Security for me in the mountains was getting back to the trailhead and knowing that 44 mag was in the truck. Of all things that can kill or injure you in the wilderness, large mammals are one of the lesser worries.

I hate contradicting the discussion above but thought I had a worthwhile contribution.

Thanks, CDP2

With all due respect.... Being lucky enough to not have required protection for whatever period of time, doesn't negate the prudent measure of being armed in the event the firearm was needed. IMO, it’s kinda on the reckless side to push the boundary of mans domain into the deep woods with no form of protection. The deep woods belong to everyone and everything. To think you are superior in that environment without any means of defense is a careless and egotistical mindset IMO. Kinda reminds me of the poor fellow that thought he could hang out with the Grizzlies and be just fine... If I recall, he found out that to just about any predator, man is just an invader and even a possible meal if need be.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i'm thinking that if her chosen woods carry is a 380
    that part B of her plan is that she can run faster than you.

-----------------

for me to OC in the woods it would be a 4" 357 ( my S&W 66) or a full size 1911.
    what is important--besides being able to hit well with what you carry, is that the holster
    fits you proper and carries the weight all day with no discomfort.
    and it has a over the hammer strap with snap retention.

i re-stitched a double mag leather carry so now it holds one magazine and my large size leatherman
    darn but if I'm gonna have to shoot it, I'm gonna skin it to.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

With all due respect, superior, egotistical, and careless are hardly indicators of a successful wilderness experience. Your brain is the best defense. Take your chances with a wounded griz.

I've only been on this forum for a week or two and I get name-calling from a VIP?

Good luck all, sincerely....

Quote Originally Posted by CDP2 View Post
    With all due respect, superior, egotistical, and careless are hardly indicators of a successful wilderness experience. Your brain is the best defense. Take your chances with a wounded griz.

I've only been on this forum for a week or two and I get name-calling from a VIP?
    Wow! Wasn't trying to tick you off guy.... And for the record; I wouldn't wound a griz, I'd put it down if I need be and only if I felt my life was in danger.

I don't want to upset anyone but I've fished/backpacked to high lakes in the Rockies for over 50 years from New Mexico to British Columbia and never had a need for a gun. Most of this was by myself.
    Relax man.... It wasn't meant as an insult.... You just come off as Bear Grills or what ever and all and I pointed out that just cause you made it through the 50 plus years of challenging the elements from New Mexico to British Columbia with just your brains and skill; all by yourself I'll add. I just pointed out that, IMO you got off very lucky to have done all that ALL BY YOURSELF without any mishaps, that's all. Everyone knows it's a very bad Idea to go off into the deep woods for any length of time alone, or they should at least. You made it sound like folks that choose to be prudent by arming themselves for the situation are somehow being overly cautious, or it's somehow overkill or what ever. I say again, not to be prepared for the deep woods and what lives within is IMO careless/reckless, but that's just an opinion and again I'm not trying to insult you, you simply feel that way because you don't think any of the adjectives I used to describe the post fit your situation.

Hang in there, we're all on the same side here... Just strikes me as funny how some folks come to a gun forum and then post about not needing or using one... Kinda odd don't ya think.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I think it's just kinda odd that people still post questions about:
    a) How big a gun to carry in the woods? (4000 unarmed walking trail miles and still ticking...)
    b) Is .380 a decent round for ___________? (The answer is still always "No".)
    c) What's the best round for ___________? (Hint: The biggest you can carry)

Back when I did a lot of hiking/walking in county parks, I relied on my trusty dog (a lot grayer around the muzzle, but still willing and eager), and a Glock 21 and three mags stoked with 185grn Cor-Bon +P hollowpoints. Don't hike anymore, but if I did, my choice would be the same. For your wife, I agree with the Glock 36 idea. Small and light, but still quite potent. Just make sure to carry extra mags.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Yeah, I'm sure this poor lady thought it was safe as well....
    Hiker Meredith Emerson / Gary Michael Hilton

I wonder how many miles she got under her belt before the monster happened upon her.

Humans are weak in general. There are many arguments about what is the right weapon of choice for defense and most of the time, we're talking about the 2-legged sort. IMO just about any firearm out there has the potential of stopping a human. Now that we're talking about wild animals, it's a whole different story.

Consider this: Most hunts are executed broadside, the most effective and humane way of harvesting an animal where the heart is the intended target. Even with a perfectly placed round, an animal may still go 100+ yards before it stops. (even with rifles) Defending against a predator coming at you head-on, it's simple. You want something with the most penetration that does the most damage that you can possibly carry. The odds of getting in that ideal one-shot kill is very slim and you're still likely to end up in physical contact with them anyway if it is aggitated enough. Unlike humans, wild amimals are incredibly resilient to pain and do not stop because of it. In fact, they are the opposite as they become more aggressive and dangerous. So when you're talking about defense in the woods, a 2-legged threat is easy to deal with compared to wild animals, even in the smaller calibers. But lions and especially bears, do yourself a favor and go big and hardest hitting as you possibly can if you suspect that you could run into one.

Defense in the woods for me = .357 mag. or .44 mag. I would rather curl up in a ball and play dead than to be the cause of it's irritation with a .380.

$.02
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Humans may be at the top of the food chain, but it is because we have higher intelligence to be able to make and use things like firearms. Other animals depend on things like speed or brute strength to give them a survival advantage. We have neither (although a healthy human can often outrun many other animals from a pure endurance perspective - but then, how many of us are in perfect health? I know I can't run more than a 1/2 mile before I'm winded). When you're in the woods, you are in "their" territory. Remember you are just another critter out there. Make use of your natural advantages and stay safe.

I don't really carry much better vs woods (a .357 sig glock 31), but it would penetrate and sting with rounds to spare most of my woods worries.{quote} Thanis.........

You carry much better than the .380.

With the right load I could feel comfortable with the .357 Sig round if that is the best I had.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=124

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links