.380 ACP in the woods - Page 4

.380 ACP in the woods

This is a discussion on .380 ACP in the woods within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; thanks for relevant posts...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .380 ACP in the woods

thanks for relevant posts
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Moderator
    You mentioned bear Thanis.

Lets talk about that.

The last bear that I shot was with a .50 caliber rifle. A blackpowder rifle actually. So you dont think that blackpowder is considered weak, I shot the bear with a 370 grain TC Maxiball as it was running away. It went right through the hip, traveled longways through the bear and exited through his chest, perfectly centered. That bear ran over 100 yards before it collapsed.

Now lets say you happen upon a bear or even worse, a bear with cubs and she see you as a threat. Now she charges you and you have a .380 pistol. I do agree that shooting into the ground is useless. She percieves you as a threat to her cubs and she wants to make sure that you are no threat. She only understands killing you. She wants to kill you to keep her cubs safe.

You are shooting the standard 90 grain load...that probably wont even make it through that first layer of fat on that bear.

Having been in on bear kills and tracking wounded ones, I can testify that you need to carry the biggest caliber that you can. Having seen them shot with .270's.30-06s, .308s and even 7mm mags and still having them run off I know that they can be hard to put down. No one that I know of even carrys less than a .44 magnum when they carry a pistol with them.

It only makes sense to carry a gun that is sized to the maximum threat. Since you mentioned bears, I would use that as a standard.

With that being said, the 9mm would be better than the .380, but I consider that pretty light for a bear if she ever had to shoot.

I know for a fact, that most people carry a gun that is comfortable and light...but they are carrying expecting NOT to shoot in self defense.

That that will have to shoot at some point in time will carry a full sized caliber with lots of ammo. No one that ever had to shoot in self defense ever wished for a smaller caliber.

Yeah...she might carry it for 20 years and never fire a shot. If that day does come, I sincerley hope that she is armed with enough gun to do the job.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You mentioned bear Thanis.

Lets talk about that.

The last bear that I shot was with a .50 caliber rifle. A blackpowder rifle actually. So you dont think that blackpowder is considered weak, I shot the bear with a 370 grain TC Maxiball as it was running away. It went right through the hip, traveled longways through the bear and exited through his chest, perfectly centered. That bear ran over 100 yards before it collapsed.

Now lets say you happen upon a bear or even worse, a bear with cubs and she see you as a threat. Now she charges you and you have a .380 pistol. I do agree that shooting into the ground is useless. She percieves you as a threat to her cubs and she wants to make sure that you are no threat. She only understands killing you. She wants to kill you to keep her cubs safe.

You are shooting the standard 90 grain load...that probably wont even make it through that first layer of fat on that bear.

Having been in on bear kills and tracking wounded ones, I can testify that you need to carry the biggest caliber that you can. Having seen them shot with .270's.30-06s, .308s and even 7mm mags and still having them run off I know that they can be hard to put down. No one that I know of even carrys less than a .44 magnum when they carry a pistol with them.

It only makes sense to carry a gun that is sized to the maximum threat. Since you mentioned bears, I would use that as a standard.

With that being said, the 9mm would be better than the .380, but I consider that pretty light for a bear if she ever had to shoot.

I know for a fact, that most people carry a gun that is comfortable and light...but they are carrying expecting NOT to shoot in self defense.

That that will have to shoot at some point in time will carry a full sized caliber with lots of ammo. No one that ever had to shoot in self defense ever wished for a smaller caliber.

Yeah...she might carry it for 20 years and never fire a shot. If that day does come, I sincerley hope that she is armed with enough gun to do the job.
    Thxs Hotguns. Your post had me thinking, and then it hit me. Instead of talking guns with her, I just bring up a blip of conversation regarding different wild animals I've seen on the family's acreage when she talks about hiking or camping out in the back field. It makes the safety decision a shared responsibility, I forgot I did te same when she was desiding to get a ccw or not. I stated that I need someone who protect me as much as I felt the need to protect her.

She was right to take my thought with a grain of salt. She walks and hikes more then I do (I prefer to be doing something like clearing a trail). Her experience has been make it simple and light so you can enjoy the hike, and avoid potential problrm fro being to incumbered. It has merit. I'm a hunter of limited experience. Far from a expert, but enough to be more aware and concerned with the things we don't always see unless silent, but must often us. I desided I need to share the experience, not the opinions.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Moderator
    Thats a start Thanis. It sounds like a good plan. Learning from the experiences of others is alway a good thing and it tends to make people see things a bit more clearly.

Good luck with that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links