.380 ACP in the woods

.380 ACP in the woods

This is a discussion on .380 ACP in the woods within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The real concern is white tail who are acting a little aggressive (early rut?) an often spotted bear, and a badger. While I was prepping ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .380 ACP in the woods

.380 ACP in the woods

The real concern is white tail who are acting a little aggressive (early rut?) an often spotted bear, and a badger. While I was prepping some trails (the weather has been great for the shrubs and weeds that clog my go to trails) I'll be using during deer / rifle season, my wife wanted to take some strolls. She owns a 9mm and a .380 acp. I asked that she arm herself with the 9mm, she would only take was the .380 acp (lcp), as she wanted to stay light

There are rarer elk, wild hogs, and yes even a few cougars (no, not the mid-life types), along with the uncommon tresspasser. I don't really carry much better vs woods (a .357 sig glock 31), but it would penetrate and sting with rounds to spare most of my woods worries.

So, she is armed, and wants to be armed, but to a limit. So I'm thinking of buying her a better quality OC holster for the 9mm or start talking about a not yet purchased 45 acp she talks about buying. She shot a brother-in-laws 45 a year or so ago, and she like that type of recoil more than 9mm, .40 acp, etc. She does not like revolvers.

Looking for some thoughts on anything related. Is the difference between .380 acp and 9mm +P in the woods not much to consider, or should I push for the 9mm carry by getting her involved in holster hunting (she really likes shopping). Or should I just move past and get into the .45. Or, is it all pointless, and none of them really do the trick, and the .380 is fine?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

What does she say about carrying the .45 while on the trail? Would she be comfortable with the extra weight while walking? Bottom line is that this is something you are asking her to carry and she needs to want it and be comfortable.

I can understand wanting to carry the LCP, so my suggestion is for her to look at the compact 9mm's on the market. I really love carrying my LC9 and it's comfortable when I am active.

If all she wants to carry is the LCP, I would suggest using Buffalo Bore in it.

The biggest threat is likely from the 2-legged predators, and for them the .45 ACP is great medicine, no matter whether you load ball, lead SWCs or JHPs. For black bear, something more substantial is in order, but you have to weigh the odds and plan accordingly. Realistically, though, a .380 falls way short of my idea of a trail gun. I'd suggest a Commander-length 1911 in .45, maybe an alloy frame, and a good OWB holster such as from Milt Sparks or Simply Rugged.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    The difference between the .380 and a plus P 9mm are great. They arent even in the same league.

Consider the fact that no police agency around here even allows a .380 caliber for a backup gun...due to repeated failures to stop.

Having shot lots of deer, there is no way that I would even consider a .380 as being adequate.
    WonderBra likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I guess it beats a stick. Sometimes that's all I can get my wife to carry. I did manage to get her to take the 9mm on the last trip though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have seldom heard anybody that needed a gun say I sure wish I would have had a smaller caliber,but I do know people that when they needed a gun in the wilderness sometimes wish they had a bigger caliber
    jarhead74 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I think you should be looking into the .45. .380 and 9mm are not "woods" guns. I doubt a deer or elk would attack her but cougar and bear yes, possibly stray dogs, coyotes etc. Good reason to purchase a new firearm

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    In my area coyotes and wild hogs are a growing problem along with an occasional black bear. No problems with the bears so far though. The hogs can tend to get agressive and charge in your direction so it's best to be prepared. I don't think I would like my odds armed with a .380 in this situation if I needed to defend myself, but it's better than throwing rocks I guess.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

RKM
    I wouldn't trust even a .45 to stop a bear. MAYBE an angry deer. I'd carry at bare minimum a 10mm or .357 magnum. Better yet, 12 gauge loaded with slugs, but that's probably a bit much for a leisurely stroll. I carry a .380 in my pocket when I'm forced to stay extremely concealed (work), but when I have a choice and can carry more freely, my G30 is always with me along with the .380. I wouldn't rely on a .380 in the woods. It may work on small varmints, even up to coyote, but it's better to have some thing bigger.

.380's work ok on people. Just "ok". It's a "better than nothing" option. But it shouldn't be a preferred option, ever.

Of course there's always "bear spray" which is probably more effective than a .380
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

If she insists on a small caliber, I would make a suggestion. For the four legged predators, I would use the sound, muzzle blast and a shot near them in an attempt to scare them off rather than shooting at/hitting them and making them mad, shooting at them only as a last resort.
    Inspector71 and Bark'n like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    It is not ever wise to attempt to perforate and eliminate potentially dangerous animals with sub-effective handgun calibers.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Looking for some thoughts on anything related. Is the difference between .380 acp and 9mm +P in the woods not much to consider ?
    The difference is considerable.
    The .380 gets a 90 grain bullet out at 800-900 fps depending on the gun.
    The 9mm+p will get a 125 grain bullet at 1200 fps.

JMO, but for a woods gun, my list is a short one... .357 magnum in 4" with the heaviest grain bullet I can get my hands on. That will take care of most any woods creature that I'll happen upon.
    ksblazer likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I would be ecstatic if my wife was willing to carry a gun at all! As someone mentioned, her most realistic threat is from a human, not an animal, and a .380 in the hands of someone confident enough to use it will do wonders at making a BG go away.

If a 9mm (what kind does she have?) is too heavy for her then it seems unlikely she will be able to carry a gun chambered in a caliber effective enough to be a good animal defense gun. What about a Glock 36? It's a slimline single stack .45acp. Looks pretty doable.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links