Shooting Trap - Going to Start Wednesday

This is a discussion on Shooting Trap - Going to Start Wednesday within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At a recent family reunion the owner setup a trap station and we had a little competition, I did OK (final 5) but most importantly, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Trap - Going to Start Wednesday

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

At a recent family reunion the owner setup a trap station and we had a little competition, I did OK (final 5) but most importantly, it was a lot of fun and I forgot how much I enjoy shooting my shotgun.

At my local club they do trap nights every Wednesday and I'm going to start up next week - just looking for any tips/suggestions. I'll be using my Remington 870 pump action, no plans on buying a $1000+ trap gun at this point.

I'll try and remember to swap the 18" barrel out for the stock one before I go.

I think the hardest part will be to not get discouraged, these guys shoot 97/100 and aren't at the top. If the reunion was any indicator, I'll be shooting 60/100 to begin with. In fairness to myself, I wasn't shooting with my own gun and it was one that I wasn't used to (pretty hefty semi-auto).

Guess I'll need a shell bag of some sort, other than that I think I'm OK for gear (eyes, ears, gun, ammo).

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Sounds fun enjoy. Before dove season we have our own little trap shooting get togethers and they can be a blast.

Interesting timing. I just joined a gun club and shot my first round of skeet in twenty five years last Tuesday, trap is tonight. I'm embarrassed to admit this but, my first round I shot 3 for 25. It was brought to my attention by a club member I was using full choke top and modified under on my over and under. My second round I went 18 for 25 after changing choke tubes, big improvement. It was 102 degrees with 50% relative humidity and sweat was constantly dripping inside my shooting glass's making the clays blurry and distorted. My shoulder is very sore but I think I'm going to love it. Just ordered a "skeet" in-vector choke tube for my over/under

Trap is how I learned shooting and gun safety. I was 12 years old on my families ranch shooting hand thrown clay pigeons with a 20 ga.

To date it is still my most favorite and relaxing time at the range.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!

I've only shot trap a handful of times, but have done a fair amount of pheasant hunting - sadly I haven't shot in quite some time (~20 years). I learned to pheasant hunt with a single shot, bolt action .410 shotgun - one chance.

From last weekend and watching them briefly last night I'm at least familiar with the rotation and general pace they try to keep. Shooting with both eyes open is hard to get used to (been practicing that with my handguns as well).

Just picked up a cheap nylon shell bag from Walmart and some Federal trap loads, should be all set for my first embarrassing outing!

Yeah you're set. I'm not an expert, but you might find it helpful to remember to follow through with the stroke after the shot. That is, don't pull back after the shot and look to see if you hit the bird. You'll know. Lean into it and pivot with your trunk, not your arms. This makes it smoother. Anticipate fast birds when on stations 1 and 5, and stand with your feet appropriately placed. Practice, practice, practice.

This is a good read if you want to check it out. Amazon.com: Trapshooting With D. Lee Braun and the Remington Pros: A Remington Sportsmen's Library Book (9780875020693): Robert Campbell: Books
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Trap & skeet are significantly different games. In trap, all the shots are going away (although at slightly different angles),whereas in skeet you have almost incomers at a few stations and crossing shots at several. Back when I shot both I only had a 20 gauge - not real good for trap - and an open choke like skeet or IC was good for skeet but I needed modified for trap.

If you look at trap guns, you'll see high ribs and high combs on the stock. Since you want to get your shot off while the bird is still rising, those features allow the shot pattern to be rising relative to your line of sight. Using a regular hunting gun, you want to make sure your front bead covers the bird, rather than having the bird on top of the bead. In pistolero terms, go for the center hold rather than a six o'clock hold. Most beginners shoot under the bird (or shoot late, when the bird begins to fall).

Lastly, don't over-think the shot. Get gun moving and the bead on the bird in one fluid motion and slap the trigger... sorta like sweeping the bird with the muzzle. Keep an open mind and ask your squad mates to critique what you're doing - most will be happy to help a fellow shooter. And have fun!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    No need to be embarrassed. Everyone started where you are at one time or another. I have had the pleasure of shooting with some great folks on the trap field. The biggest things are to be safe and have fun. Don't worry so much about how many you break or miss, but instead, focus on the rythm of the squad. Once you get the hand of it the score will go up pretty quickly.

The 870 is an excellent gun for trap. I knew a fellow who even shot doubles very well with one. I shot with one for years before getting my first over and under. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated!

I've only shot trap a handful of times, but have done a fair amount of pheasant hunting - sadly I haven't shot in quite some time (~20 years). I learned to pheasant hunt with a single shot, bolt action .410 shotgun - one chance.

From last weekend and watching them briefly last night I'm at least familiar with the rotation and general pace they try to keep. Shooting with both eyes open is hard to get used to (been practicing that with my handguns as well).

Just picked up a cheap nylon shell bag from Walmart and some Federal trap loads, should be all set for my first embarrassing outing!

cmb
    I love skeet, sporting clays and trap, it is a literally a blast... it's been so hot I haven't been for almost 2 months now... a lot of the guys I shoot with use a pump, i don't like them cause it is aggrivating to load for me, I use a stoeger SxS and the make an O/U and now there are several reasonably prices O/U & SxS by other makers for less than 400$ if you get into on a weekly basis it may be worth the investment (i got mine on sale around Christmas time for like 270$) I like the look of SxS and mine has double triggers and I knew i would only be getting one shotgun for a while so i compromised...

My main flaw is follow through... remember to get on it (or slightly ahead or above, or below in some instances) pull trigger and keep gun moving in that direction...

Have fun with it clay shooting is great!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Administrator
    No need for embarrassment, embrace your noobness. Its the fellers that act like they're olympic masters when clearly they are not that get embarrassed and nobody is willing to help. Just be honest about your experience and skill levels... you'll make some new friends and learn an awesome sport in the process.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks!

Figured I'd shoot with the 870 to see how it goes first... I typically get into a hobby and buy all the stuff, then lose interest shortly after. Going to try and ease into this one. :)

The other reason I want to use my 870 is because it's my pheasant hunting gun and home defense shotgun, so getting better with it would be more beneficial all around.

Many years ago when I was in my early teens I shot about once a week. The weekend "turkey shoot"s kept my family very well fed in turkeys and hams. I shot an 870 with a trap barrel. It was a wonderful gun. Then I found cars and girls. Couldn't afford those and trap both so I sold the gun. Wish I had the gun back now. lol

Well it went pretty good... I only shot 1 round (25 clays) and got 18/25. The guys were really helpful and gave me some tips for next time, so hopefully that will bring my score up a little.

18 for 25 is purty darn good shooting for a first-timer!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks, I was pretty happy with it - I envisioned a lot more full clay's hitting the ground. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links