GASP!! I met a knowledgeable LGS employee today

This is a discussion on GASP!! I met a knowledgeable LGS employee today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It happened. I swear my life on it. Guy knew his stuff up and down. Knew 1911's, Glocks, Springfields, etc. In 10 minutes he told ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: GASP!! I met a knowledgeable LGS employee today

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

It happened. I swear my life on it. Guy knew his stuff up and down. Knew 1911's, Glocks, Springfields, etc. In 10 minutes he told me more and knew what he was talking about than most of the others all combined.

One thing he did that upset me, though...he let me hold a Ruger 1911, and....a new Colt CCO. If they weren't $200 higher on each than what I can find online I would have walked out with both. I'm never going back there again.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I always wonder when I see threads like this:

1. Does knowledgeable mean they agree with your point of view?
    2. Does knowledgeable mean they actually know what they are talking about and you walk away with some additional knowledge yourself?

In this case it seems to be #2, which is great! Now go back and buy that gun from him, you may just get that $200 back in free education.

As a SCUBA diver I tried to buy from a place that I trusted, even if it was more expensive that online (almost always is). The relationship and knowledge gained was well worth the difference I paid at the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    One thing he did that upset me, though...he let me hold a Ruger 1911, and....a new Colt CCO. If they weren't $200 higher on each than what I can find online I would have walked out with both. I'm never going back there again.
    I held the Ruger 1911 and I was actually impressed. It was $699 when my LGS let me hold it. I haven't seen it there since.

What Colt CCO were you looking at? Ideally, my next 1911 is a Colt CCO, but Cabelas let me hold a Dan Wesson V-Bob ... I haven't washed my hands since.
    Last edited by WonderBra; August 4th, 2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: clarification
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

VIP Member
    Lemme guess. You were talking to Chuck. I was in there yesterday, and I knew better than to ask to hold the SR-1911.

At the time, he was reeling off regs on how many modifications (no matter how simple) can be made on an AK before it becomes illegal. He was quoting verse and scripture while doing it. Maybe he was bluffing, but I was amazed at his recall abilities.

Thunder it was definitely more #2 than #1. Although there was alot of #1 in the conversation too. He carries a G36 so he gets points for packin' a .45. Sorry, but i'm a size queen when it comes to caliber.

Glad I walked in there today. Problem is, I have a relative that should have handguns stocked in his new store next week. He is also going to give me the best price he can on ordering what I want (if he can get them of course). Can't go against family ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Lemme guess. You were talking to Chuck. I was in there yesterday, and I knew better than to ask to hold the SR-1911.

At the time, he was reeling off regs on how many modifications (no matter how simple) can be made on an AK before it becomes illegal. He was quoting verse and scripture while doing it. Maybe he was bluffing, but I was amazed at his recall abilities.
    Chuck is very knowledgeable for sure, especially on long guns and AR's. This time it was Adam. The dude knows his stuff. I was impressed today. And yes, it's a good thing you didn't hold that Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    I held the Ruger 1911 and I was actually impressed. It was $699 when he let me hold it. I haven't seen it there since.

What Colt CCO were you looking at? Ideally, my next 1911 is a Colt CCO, but Cabelas let me hold a Dan Wesson V-Bob ... I haven't washed my hands since.
    The new CCO. I can still smell her...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    The new CCO. I can still smell her...
    I fear that I'll be back to look at it. My no-gun-purchase resolution for 2011 is not going so well... Chuck can sense when I'm feeling weak, and will drop his price when my guard is down.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I fear that I'll be back to look at it. My no-gun-purchase resolution for 2011 is not going so well... Chuck can sense when I'm feeling weak, and will drop his price when my guard is down.
    Thank goodness he was talking with a LEO while I was in there. He always tries to knock it down a notch or two when I show interest. He has a nose for weakness right??

The CCO is on the bottom shelf to the left of the sr1911 behind the Colt Defender and in front of the Citadel which is beside the RIA

VIP Member
    I thought the anniversary Citadel was flat ugly (nice theme, but poor execution).
    deadguy likes this.

You have to be careful with Chuck as he typically doesn't feed you the BS and lets the guns sell themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    You have to be careful with Chuck as he typically doesn't feed you the BS and lets the guns sell themselves.
    Very true. I'm glad that those guys know their guns. The small shop knowledge around this area (not just that place) makes the bigger box store folks look silly.

I don't have the means to pay much over the cheapest price I can get but go out of my way to visit and buy the smaller stuff from a locally owned gun shop. All the folks there are very knowledgeable and when asked a question they aren't sure of will ask one of the others. I do not stand there and tell stories or ask about guns I'll never own but they helped me make up my mind on my PM9 but at the time they couldn't get one. I felt bad to buy it somewhere else.

You guys need to start a place of worship for this Chuck guy,where you can meet and tell stories of his gun awsomeness
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You guys need to start a place of worship for this Chuck guy,where you can meet and tell stories of his gun awsomeness
    They'd rather squeal with glee when they see him and throw their panties at him.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links