New 9mm purchase advice. - Page 2

New 9mm purchase advice.

This is a discussion on New 9mm purchase advice. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like the others said, take your time - go to a range that has a wide selection of rentals, and start from there. Yes, this ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New 9mm purchase advice.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others said, take your time - go to a range that has a wide selection of rentals, and start from there. Yes, this may be a little expensive, but it's worth it in the long run. Holding a gun in the store is like sitting in a car on the showroom floor. Actually putting rounds downrange with it is like taking the car for a test-drive. You wouldn't buy a car without a test-drive, would you?

If there's no ranges near you that offer rentals or if finances prohibit, try your friends and/or join your local concealed-carry community: most of the time, "gun people" are very, very helpful, and will go out of their way to assist. And since you've mentioned getting your CCW/CHL license, there are also many schools/instructors who rent common defensive pistols for their students to try, and this is another resource you should make use of.

Don't rush in. That's a very common mistake of those who are new to concealed-carry.

Best of luck!

Oh, and I also wanted to add: if you're newer to firearms, like at least one member above has mentioned, please do consider sticking to one "platform" - getting a Compact/Sub-Compact variant of the same full-sized pistol for concealed-carry, while keeping the larger for home-defense and range/class-work. This can make things a lot simpler to begin with, and can significantly decrease the slope of your learning curve.

And don't worry too much about lights/lasers and other accessories (even if you started out with inexpensive ones, there's still the potential that such money can well be wasted). Instead, take that money and get yourself to some training classes: there, you'll not only get trained on the proper techniques to help you survive a confrontation, but you'll also start to figure out what accessories are right for you.

For what Browning Hi-Powers are selling for these days (as you can see by my avitar I own and love a Hi-Power) you can come close to getting both a Glock 17 and a Glock 26.

My EDC's are Glocks 95% of the time and my house handgun is a Glock 100% of the time.

As others have said try as many guns as you can before deciding.

Good luck.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by DrPastor View Post
    I decided to buy two 9mm. First I want a ccw and a full sized home defense gun. I have no idea about the Ccw, but the full size I am thinking a Bowning BHP. Help a brother out. What do you think? What about laser sights and flashlight attachments and carry rig for each.
    Having shot everything twice or several times, I keep coming back to 9mm. Why? Muzzle control. Multi-taps and follow up shots are spot on. Ballistics. 9mm passes all requirements. Capacity. I can easily ford 45 rounds of 9mm on my EDC. Reliability. My g26 and my Smith 908 never hiccup. Control is the bomb.
    Fore go the attachments. Learn to shoot: Point shoot, offhand shoot, closed retention, etc. All are better performed with 9mm.
    Get a decent belt/holster combo. Makes all the difference. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Trial and error is 10X better than an internet advice post.

Ruger makes a great full size and compact 9MM; the SR9 and SR9C. Ruger® SR9® Centerfire Pistol Models and Ruger® SR9c™ Compact Centerfire Pistol Models.
    I purchased an SR9C special; the gun, a 10-round mag, a 17-round mag, speed loader, lock and good carry case for $425.00, with a Davidson's 100% replacement guarantee.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Try a combination of either a G26 + G19. Or G26 +G17 or G19 +G17.
    Or just one Sig P229.

Awfully hard to beat a G19 + G26 combo.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I am so glad I asked in this post. You are all so helpful and gracious. I thought I get hecked over the 9mm decision. I grew up a redneck with my own shotgun at age 8. I am now 54, and have an earned doctorate. So what? Here's what I think I heard you alkl say. First, get training. Other than vietnam era US Army Infantry training; I have had no formal training. You have all sold me on that. I agree 100%.

I have fat hands, so I can't shoot glocks. They bite me bad. I have preferred older Beretta's over the years, and have considered the Storm platform with a subcompact and full sized, but I have unexplained internal aprehensions about them. That brought me to the Browning BHP. That brings me to the second thing I heard and agree with. Never cut corners on your sidearm. That is whay I am so concerned about the ccw gun. Most seem so much like made by Mattel. Remember, you can tell its Mattel its swell toys. The ccw guns seem so light and for me hard to trust because of the toy-like feel. I saw a pink Keltec yesterday!

My concern for lights and lasers come from the industry push on those products. In an age when 50 year old men often fail to keep up with good technologies advances, I did not want to miss out. As far as iron sights are concerned, if I can see it I can hit it. But, I see the techniques used on the various videos, and there is much I can learn there.

I can see the great emphasis on shotguns at home, would anyone care to address the shot spread issue. My question stems from the thought that the damage and uncontrolled pattern will make me very much less likely to take the shot. Maybe thats a good thing. Perhaps, it is a very good thing.

Finally, I learned I need a good range. Wow, what a dismal thing. So few. We have one that rents, but not anything I'd want to buy.

Alltogether, I gleaned I agree with almost everything offered, and I'd love to meet you all. Really, I am going to buy the Browning, and go to some classes before I decide on the ccw. Really, that is the weapon for which I have the most concern and may well be the one I need to research the most.

Godspeed!

VIP Member
    The BHP is one of the finest handguns out there. If you are set on it, go for it.

Frankly, that BHP would make a fine carry piece also. Whatever you do, don't underestimate its versatility. With the heavier guns a good gun belt and well constructed holster will make all the difference in comfort when carrying.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

go glock 17

I personally believe for the minor size difference when the pearce extension is added to a G26 for better control you are better of with a G19 & G17. I like my G26 but I would not purchase one if I had realized how close the G19 is in size with my added accesories.

Long story short all the Glocks are great guns. Go check'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I personally believe for the minor size difference when the pearce extension is added to a G26 for better control you are better of with a G19 & G17. I like my G26 but I would not purchase one if I had realized how close the G19 is in size with my added accesories.

Long story short all the Glocks are great guns. Go check'em out.
    This brings up something I have been trying to research for a couple days. Does anyone know the specs on the G26 and the G19 magazines, particularly the height? I am due for a couple new mags and was contemplating G19 mags for my 26.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    This brings up something I have been trying to research for a couple days. Does anyone know the specs on the G26 and the G19 magazines, particularly the height? I am due for a couple new mags and was contemplating G19 mags for my 26.
    There is litterally 1/8" or so difference at the front of the magazine with the + 2 pearce grip extension on the G26, however the back of the magazine is closer to 3/4" longer on a G19.
    Justified likes this.

Check out the Rugers and Glocks. Most other things and you may have problems. The Browning HP are nice, but most gunsmiths in my area won't touch them with a pole as they are quite difficult to do a trigger job on and they usually come with one that feels like two pieces of sandpaper grating together. Beyond that, if you can get a good trigger job on it, they are "very nice". Personally I like the old Ruger P95DC as it's reasonable, built like a tank, magazines are cheap and it's very accurate for a great price. All edges on the P95DC rounded off and light weight (heavy duty) long-strand polymer/fiberglass design make it easy to carry all day. It's not blocky like those Springfield XD's (yep-shot one and beyond 15yds accuracy sucks and feels like a big brick).

I can see the great emphasis on shotguns at home, would anyone care to address the shot spread issue. My question stems from the thought that the damage and uncontrolled pattern will make me very much less likely to take the shot. Maybe thats a good thing. Perhaps, it is a very good thing.
    Godspeed!
    Heres a thought on shotguns for the home. Walls tend to stop pellets. However a high cap 45 will go through most walls. I was noticing that if you look straight through my bedroom door, there is a wall, on the other side of that wall is where my daughter is sleeping ( well the wall is after the hallway). I would hesitate to fire with my 45, but im confident my shot spray would not go through the wall. Also, and a close range your shot gun is pretty tight, you can tell this at the range at say 50 meters with regular bird shot, full choke. So the idea that the pattern is uncontrolled goes out the window, i patern my shot gun every year before turkey season, you can do the same with bird shot. as far as the damage they make, walls can be patched. Just my 2 cents.

Senior Moderator
    There's really not much of an issue with shot spread at the distances we're talking about for home defense. The longest shot I can see anyone making in a typical home would be less than 30 feet. The pattern with proper home defense loads at that distance is going to be at most 10 inches, and probably significantly smaller.

The key here is proper home defense loads. Which means a number between 00 and 4 followed by the word "buckshot".

No birdshot need apply.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links