Defensive Carry banner

New 9mm purchase advice.

4K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  lordhamster 
#1 ·
I decided to buy two 9mm. First I want a ccw and a full sized home defense gun. I have no idea about the Ccw, but the full size I am thinking a Bowning BHP. Help a brother out. What do you think? What about laser sights and flashlight attachments and carry rig for each.

#2 ·
Shoot several guns at a range and see what is comfortable for you. Browning makes a nice gun, no doubt about it, but nothing compares to actually shooting weapons before buying. Everyone is different, they prefer different grip angles, triggers etc.... get a quality firearm your comfortable shooting.

I have never been a laser fan. They can fail, fixed sites do not. Anyone learning should be proficient with fixed sites. As for lights, that is personal preference. Some prefer mounting them on the weapon, others prefer to hold a light to the side for obvious reasons, I'll leave that to you.

#3 ·
Rent as many as you can and put the bullets down range. If you are new to shooting take a basic pistol course and invest in learning how to shoot.

Now if you want a list of possible guns start with this thread I posted on another forum.
The $400 NIB 9mm Roundup

This leaves out several Glocks, CZs, and the Browning High Power. It is a good starting point though.

#4 ·
I like the idea of a flashlight on your home piece, I've had a Glock 22 with a surefire light on the front, it will blind your BG and if (at close range) you shoot the middle of that light your gonna hit what your aiming at. Ive been CHL for 3 years now, and theres one thing i look for in any weapon i carry. Weight. the more you put on it the more you have to carry, the more you have to pull out of a holster. Most lasers are crap. I have one built in to my S&W Bodyguard, i tried it out once, for one - durring the day cant see the damn thing, at night sure, but how often do you get to zero your laser at night when you can see it??? Just food for thought. Heres another - if its for your house, consider a shot gun. Its often said around gunslingers - use your pistol on the way to your rifle. Also there are several shot guns you can put a light on the front of, point the light at the BG and pull the trigger, no more BG. Keep it simple. Carry Rig- Ive been looking at the forums, there are many great sugestions, I carry a Uncle Mikes made for my J Frame, it also happens to fit my Kel-Tec nicelyand keeps it low. I carry kind of a cross draw ap style right next to my crotch when i carry my smaller ones, and it works better that anyother holster i have. and I think it only cost me 7 bucks. Get what works best for you and your presentation of the firearm, along with accesability. Just a few Hummble Sujestions.

#5 ·
Choosing a self-defense weapon is NOT something to do on a recommendation. You really need to put in the time and effort to test the weapon "system"... that is, you and a particular gun. If you don't have a good rental range near you, it would be well worth even a long day trip to get the opportunity to test several platforms. Money spent testing out guns is NOT a waste. That is, unless you want a safe full of "experiments", not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

Most people like smaller and lighter for carry. I like consistency. My carry piece is my home defense piece. A larger weapon can be carried almost as easily as a smaller one in most cases. The old saying, "Where there's a will, there's a way." comes to mind. This would leave you with more in the budget for a single handgun instead of two.

As for holsters, I suggest you read the forums and see just how much is out there and learn from the mistakes of others before you shell out good money.

Lights, lasers ..... Personally, I like my light off the gun. It is just one more thing to mess with in most cases. If I need a light, I usually have one in my pocket. You have to train with it that way, but I think it is more versatile. I know those that swear by their lasers, but can't hit the broadside of a barn without them. Learn to shoot without a laser first, then experiment with one. Some folk find them useful and others decide they don't really need them.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your journey.

Stay safe.

#6 ·
There is a lot to be said for choosing a full size and compact version of the same basic gun for these roles. For instance a Glock 19 for CCW and Glock 17 or 34 for the home. Or an M&P full size for the house and a M&P compact for carry.

That way, you have the same manual of arms for both guns, can use the larger gun's magazines in the compact, have the same trigger in both, etc.

If you have two completely different types of firearms (say a Hi-Power and a Glock), there is a possibility of confusing the operation of the two (safety and mag release positions, etc) under stress.

That said, there is a lot of merit to what RoadRunner71 has said. Using the same gun for both roles is completely possible. I'd suggest buying one quality firearm to fill both roles (the Glock 19 is always a perennial favorite, and the M&P9c is also excellent), and using the money you would have spent on the other gun to take some high quality training. Training > new toy every time.

Matt

#8 · (Edited)
The Browning Hi Power is an awesome firearm. IMO, the BHP and the 1911 are two of the best semi-autos ever made. And both of them are easy to carry.

Laser sights are nice, but knowing how to use the iron sights is more important. I rather have night sights; e.g. Meprolight or Trijicon.

I do not like having a flash light attached to my CCW. Good luck :hand10:

#11 · (Edited)
+1 +1 +1

I think a G26 and a G19 would make a great combo. You can carry the 26 in any outfit and any weather. If it is cold out and/or your attire will accommodate a larger model you can carry the 19. If you are caring the 26, you can carry a mag from the 19 as a backup for additional rounds as they are interchangeable. Both guns have a very similar feel, sight picture and shoot the same.

If you G19 is going to be on the nightstand and you want to through a laser/light combo on it that would be fun but I always just have a flashlight next to my gun at home. Another plus about this combo is that any quality holster you get for CCW will work for both guns.

#12 ·
I too in you instance would second the magazine compatibility, also agree with the XDMc for carry and it comes with a extended mag... I would definitely second training from an experienced SD person, read some books from Gabe Suarez, Mas Ayoob, and practice with what you are using... then also, depending upon your home situation, consider a shotgun for the house...

there are a lot of variable here consider them carefully and do your reasearch, rent and see what you like and what likes you!

#13 ·
You've been offered some sound advice here, especially concerning common platforms. As noted by others, you really need try to shoot some of those you are interested in to see what "fits" you. Also, for home defense, don't ignore looking at shotguns; they are intimidating and under stress conditions help overcome poorly placed shots from a pistol. I'm not big on lasers or light rails. Laser batteries can go out at the worst possible time and, from what I've seen, many people end up chasing the dot rather seeing the front sight and pulling the trigger. Also, I think you are better off with training in the use of a hand-held light. A little internet searching can get some information on the pros and cons of mounted vs. handheld lights for SD to help you make your own decision on that one.

#16 ·
Like the others said, take your time - go to a range that has a wide selection of rentals, and start from there. Yes, this may be a little expensive, but it's worth it in the long run. Holding a gun in the store is like sitting in a car on the showroom floor. Actually putting rounds downrange with it is like taking the car for a test-drive. You wouldn't buy a car without a test-drive, would you? :smile:

If there's no ranges near you that offer rentals or if finances prohibit, try your friends and/or join your local concealed-carry community: most of the time, "gun people" are very, very helpful, and will go out of their way to assist. And since you've mentioned getting your CCW/CHL license, there are also many schools/instructors who rent common defensive pistols for their students to try, and this is another resource you should make use of.

Don't rush in. That's a very common mistake of those who are new to concealed-carry.

Best of luck! :smile:

Oh, and I also wanted to add: if you're newer to firearms, like at least one member above has mentioned, please do consider sticking to one "platform" - getting a Compact/Sub-Compact variant of the same full-sized pistol for concealed-carry, while keeping the larger for home-defense and range/class-work. This can make things a lot simpler to begin with, and can significantly decrease the slope of your learning curve.

And don't worry too much about lights/lasers and other accessories (even if you started out with inexpensive ones, there's still the potential that such money can well be wasted). Instead, take that money and get yourself to some training classes: there, you'll not only get trained on the proper techniques to help you survive a confrontation, but you'll also start to figure out what accessories are right for you.

#17 ·
For what Browning Hi-Powers are selling for these days (as you can see by my avitar I own and love a Hi-Power) you can come close to getting both a Glock 17 and a Glock 26.

My EDC's are Glocks 95% of the time and my house handgun is a Glock 100% of the time.

As others have said try as many guns as you can before deciding.

Good luck.

OS

#18 ·
Having shot everything twice or several times, I keep coming back to 9mm. Why? Muzzle control. Multi-taps and follow up shots are spot on. Ballistics. 9mm passes all requirements. Capacity. I can easily ford 45 rounds of 9mm on my EDC. Reliability. My g26 and my Smith 908 never hiccup. Control is the bomb.
Fore go the attachments. Learn to shoot: Point shoot, offhand shoot, closed retention, etc. All are better performed with 9mm.
Get a decent belt/holster combo. Makes all the difference. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Trial and error is 10X better than an internet advice post.

#22 ·
I am so glad I asked in this post. You are all so helpful and gracious. I thought I get hecked over the 9mm decision. I grew up a ******* with my own shotgun at age 8. I am now 54, and have an earned doctorate. So what? Here's what I think I heard you alkl say. First, get training. Other than vietnam era US Army Infantry training; I have had no formal training. You have all sold me on that. I agree 100%.

I have fat hands, so I can't shoot glocks. They bite me bad. I have preferred older Beretta's over the years, and have considered the Storm platform with a subcompact and full sized, but I have unexplained internal aprehensions about them. That brought me to the Browning BHP. That brings me to the second thing I heard and agree with. Never cut corners on your sidearm. That is whay I am so concerned about the ccw gun. Most seem so much like made by Mattel. Remember, you can tell its Mattel its swell toys. The ccw guns seem so light and for me hard to trust because of the toy-like feel. I saw a pink Keltec yesterday!

My concern for lights and lasers come from the industry push on those products. In an age when 50 year old men often fail to keep up with good technologies advances, I did not want to miss out. As far as iron sights are concerned, if I can see it I can hit it. But, I see the techniques used on the various videos, and there is much I can learn there.

I can see the great emphasis on shotguns at home, would anyone care to address the shot spread issue. My question stems from the thought that the damage and uncontrolled pattern will make me very much less likely to take the shot. Maybe thats a good thing. Perhaps, it is a very good thing.

Finally, I learned I need a good range. Wow, what a dismal thing. So few. We have one that rents, but not anything I'd want to buy.

Alltogether, I gleaned I agree with almost everything offered, and I'd love to meet you all. Really, I am going to buy the Browning, and go to some classes before I decide on the ccw. Really, that is the weapon for which I have the most concern and may well be the one I need to research the most.

Godspeed!

#29 ·
I can see the great emphasis on shotguns at home, would anyone care to address the shot spread issue. My question stems from the thought that the damage and uncontrolled pattern will make me very much less likely to take the shot. Maybe thats a good thing. Perhaps, it is a very good thing.
Godspeed!
Heres a thought on shotguns for the home. Walls tend to stop pellets. However a high cap 45 will go through most walls. I was noticing that if you look straight through my bedroom door, there is a wall, on the other side of that wall is where my daughter is sleeping ( well the wall is after the hallway). I would hesitate to fire with my 45, but im confident my shot spray would not go through the wall. Also, and a close range your shot gun is pretty tight, you can tell this at the range at say 50 meters with regular bird shot, full choke. So the idea that the pattern is uncontrolled goes out the window, i patern my shot gun every year before turkey season, you can do the same with bird shot. as far as the damage they make, walls can be patched. Just my 2 cents.

#23 ·
The BHP is one of the finest handguns out there. If you are set on it, go for it.

Frankly, that BHP would make a fine carry piece also. Whatever you do, don't underestimate its versatility. With the heavier guns a good gun belt and well constructed holster will make all the difference in comfort when carrying.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

#25 ·
I personally believe for the minor size difference when the pearce extension is added to a G26 for better control you are better of with a G19 & G17. I like my G26 but I would not purchase one if I had realized how close the G19 is in size with my added accesories.

Long story short all the Glocks are great guns. Go check'em out.:scratchchin:

#26 ·
This brings up something I have been trying to research for a couple days. Does anyone know the specs on the G26 and the G19 magazines, particularly the height? I am due for a couple new mags and was contemplating G19 mags for my 26.

#28 ·
Check out the Rugers and Glocks. Most other things and you may have problems. The Browning HP are nice, but most gunsmiths in my area won't touch them with a pole as they are quite difficult to do a trigger job on and they usually come with one that feels like two pieces of sandpaper grating together. Beyond that, if you can get a good trigger job on it, they are "very nice". Personally I like the old Ruger P95DC as it's reasonable, built like a tank, magazines are cheap and it's very accurate for a great price. All edges on the P95DC rounded off and light weight (heavy duty) long-strand polymer/fiberglass design make it easy to carry all day. It's not blocky like those Springfield XD's (yep-shot one and beyond 15yds accuracy sucks and feels like a big brick).

#31 ·
I love the idea of using a shotgun in a home defense situation. Accessibility is my issue. My EDC is with me 90% of the time. It is what I train with the most. And while I am sleeping it goes right by me. My shotgun is considerably larger and would not fit on my night stand. The shotgun lives in a safe to keep little fingers off of it and I don't leave my house without locking up all firearms.

I am sure there are super neato devices that can mount under my bed to lock the shotty up but aside from the little lady cramming tupperwares full of things under there; I would still then have to deal with some type of electronic device. I like my EDC to be my home defender due to accessibility, familiarity, and performance.

#34 ·
the shotgun is a *very* specific tool that fits a *very* specific purpose/scenario. For me, it's not about the "spread," but rather, the absolute devastation to the target
That's my thinking on the subject. I have the Mossberg 500 persuader, and even with the 18-inch barrel, my pattern testing at the range shows that out to 40 feet or so the spread is still compact - about a fist-width in diameter. For in-the-home use, distances will be generally shorter than that.

This raises an important point: Some people imagine that the shotgun spread will compensate for approximate aiming - spray-and-pray. In fact, it'd be pretty easy to miss, even at close range. So practice and and a stock are important. While I originally thought a PGO would be fine for HD, a few range outings sold me on the value of a stock.

For added safety, I mounted a tac-light to the barrel and got it aimed, so if I light something up at night, the hottest part of the beam is where the pellets should be going. That reduces concern with collateral damage.

Reactions: TSiWRX
#35 ·
^ +1.

It's very important to know how your shotgun(s) pattern, as so many things can change it. It was a lesson that's both highly stressed by the Magpul DVDs (yeah, yeah, go ahead, I'm tacticool! :lol: - but seriously, they've been excellent preparation for any of the training classes I've taken, so I consider them good investments) and in virtually any good training class that you'll take at the "beginner" level.

And also just like you said, the misconception that "you can't miss with a shotgun" is a very dangerous one for anyone who intends to use it as a defensive weapon. You can indeed miss, and what's more, that miss can cause tremendous unintended damages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.