New 9mm purchase advice.

New 9mm purchase advice.

This is a discussion on New 9mm purchase advice. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I decided to buy two 9mm. First I want a ccw and a full sized home defense gun. I have no idea about the Ccw, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New 9mm purchase advice.

New 9mm purchase advice.

I decided to buy two 9mm. First I want a ccw and a full sized home defense gun. I have no idea about the Ccw, but the full size I am thinking a Bowning BHP. Help a brother out. What do you think? What about laser sights and flashlight attachments and carry rig for each.

Shoot several guns at a range and see what is comfortable for you. Browning makes a nice gun, no doubt about it, but nothing compares to actually shooting weapons before buying. Everyone is different, they prefer different grip angles, triggers etc.... get a quality firearm your comfortable shooting.

I have never been a laser fan. They can fail, fixed sites do not. Anyone learning should be proficient with fixed sites. As for lights, that is personal preference. Some prefer mounting them on the weapon, others prefer to hold a light to the side for obvious reasons, I'll leave that to you.

Rent as many as you can and put the bullets down range. If you are new to shooting take a basic pistol course and invest in learning how to shoot.

Now if you want a list of possible guns start with this thread I posted on another forum.
    The $400 NIB 9mm Roundup

This leaves out several Glocks, CZs, and the Browning High Power. It is a good starting point though.

I like the idea of a flashlight on your home piece, I've had a Glock 22 with a surefire light on the front, it will blind your BG and if (at close range) you shoot the middle of that light your gonna hit what your aiming at. Ive been CHL for 3 years now, and theres one thing i look for in any weapon i carry. Weight. the more you put on it the more you have to carry, the more you have to pull out of a holster. Most lasers are crap. I have one built in to my S&W Bodyguard, i tried it out once, for one - durring the day cant see the damn thing, at night sure, but how often do you get to zero your laser at night when you can see it??? Just food for thought. Heres another - if its for your house, consider a shot gun. Its often said around gunslingers - use your pistol on the way to your rifle. Also there are several shot guns you can put a light on the front of, point the light at the BG and pull the trigger, no more BG. Keep it simple. Carry Rig- Ive been looking at the forums, there are many great sugestions, I carry a Uncle Mikes made for my J Frame, it also happens to fit my Kel-Tec nicelyand keeps it low. I carry kind of a cross draw ap style right next to my crotch when i carry my smaller ones, and it works better that anyother holster i have. and I think it only cost me 7 bucks. Get what works best for you and your presentation of the firearm, along with accesability. Just a few Hummble Sujestions.

VIP Member
    Choosing a self-defense weapon is NOT something to do on a recommendation. You really need to put in the time and effort to test the weapon "system"... that is, you and a particular gun. If you don't have a good rental range near you, it would be well worth even a long day trip to get the opportunity to test several platforms. Money spent testing out guns is NOT a waste. That is, unless you want a safe full of "experiments", not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

Most people like smaller and lighter for carry. I like consistency. My carry piece is my home defense piece. A larger weapon can be carried almost as easily as a smaller one in most cases. The old saying, "Where there's a will, there's a way." comes to mind. This would leave you with more in the budget for a single handgun instead of two.

As for holsters, I suggest you read the forums and see just how much is out there and learn from the mistakes of others before you shell out good money.

Lights, lasers ..... Personally, I like my light off the gun. It is just one more thing to mess with in most cases. If I need a light, I usually have one in my pocket. You have to train with it that way, but I think it is more versatile. I know those that swear by their lasers, but can't hit the broadside of a barn without them. Learn to shoot without a laser first, then experiment with one. Some folk find them useful and others decide they don't really need them.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your journey.

Stay safe.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPastor View Post
    I decided to buy two 9mm. First I want a ccw and a full sized home defense gun. I have no idea about the Ccw, but the full size I am thinking a Bowning BHP. Help a brother out. What do you think? What about laser sights and flashlight attachments and carry rig for each.
    There is a lot to be said for choosing a full size and compact version of the same basic gun for these roles. For instance a Glock 19 for CCW and Glock 17 or 34 for the home. Or an M&P full size for the house and a M&P compact for carry.

That way, you have the same manual of arms for both guns, can use the larger gun's magazines in the compact, have the same trigger in both, etc.

If you have two completely different types of firearms (say a Hi-Power and a Glock), there is a possibility of confusing the operation of the two (safety and mag release positions, etc) under stress.

That said, there is a lot of merit to what RoadRunner71 has said. Using the same gun for both roles is completely possible. I'd suggest buying one quality firearm to fill both roles (the Glock 19 is always a perennial favorite, and the M&P9c is also excellent), and using the money you would have spent on the other gun to take some high quality training. Training > new toy every time.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'd rethink the two 9mm purchase and consider getting a revolver for the home defense gun.

GM
    The Browning Hi Power is an awesome firearm. IMO, the BHP and the 1911 are two of the best semi-autos ever made. And both of them are easy to carry.

Laser sights are nice, but knowing how to use the iron sights is more important. I rather have night sights; e.g. Meprolight or Trijicon.

I do not like having a flash light attached to my CCW. Good luck
    Last edited by GM; August 5th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Buy one Springfield Armory XDM Compact 3.8, it's both worlds... a compact and a fullsize.

Try a combination of either a G26 + G19. Or G26 +G17 or G19 +G17.
    Justified and ConcealedG30 like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Try a combination of either a G26 + G19. Or G26 +G17 or G19 +G17.
    +1 +1 +1

I think a G26 and a G19 would make a great combo. You can carry the 26 in any outfit and any weather. If it is cold out and/or your attire will accommodate a larger model you can carry the 19. If you are caring the 26, you can carry a mag from the 19 as a backup for additional rounds as they are interchangeable. Both guns have a very similar feel, sight picture and shoot the same.

If you G19 is going to be on the nightstand and you want to through a laser/light combo on it that would be fun but I always just have a flashlight next to my gun at home. Another plus about this combo is that any quality holster you get for CCW will work for both guns.
    Last edited by Justified; August 5th, 2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Horrible spelling again
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

cmb
    I too in you instance would second the magazine compatibility, also agree with the XDMc for carry and it comes with a extended mag... I would definitely second training from an experienced SD person, read some books from Gabe Suarez, Mas Ayoob, and practice with what you are using... then also, depending upon your home situation, consider a shotgun for the house...

there are a lot of variable here consider them carefully and do your reasearch, rent and see what you like and what likes you!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

You've been offered some sound advice here, especially concerning common platforms. As noted by others, you really need try to shoot some of those you are interested in to see what "fits" you. Also, for home defense, don't ignore looking at shotguns; they are intimidating and under stress conditions help overcome poorly placed shots from a pistol. I'm not big on lasers or light rails. Laser batteries can go out at the worst possible time and, from what I've seen, many people end up chasing the dot rather seeing the front sight and pulling the trigger. Also, I think you are better off with training in the use of a hand-held light. A little internet searching can get some information on the pros and cons of mounted vs. handheld lights for SD to help you make your own decision on that one.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The Browning Hi Power is a fine pistol, but good luck finding one with an attachment rail for lights or lasers...
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    The Browning Hi Power is a fine pistol, but good luck finding one with an attachment rail for lights or lasers...
    The BHP does not have a light/laser rail, but you can get laser grips: Laser Sights For Browning Pistols | Crimson Trace Laser Grips
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links