At the range: "Can I see your gun?"

This is a discussion on At the range: "Can I see your gun?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would be less likely to remove my carry gun (yes I carry at the range also), i usually do not shoot whatever I am ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: At the range: "Can I see your gun?"

cmb
    I would be less likely to remove my carry gun (yes I carry at the range also), i usually do not shoot whatever I am carrying that day, now any others I have out I'd be ok with...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Sounds like some of you don't shoot your carry firearm when at the range. Why is that? As I only have two currently, I pack up ammo & extra mags for both & alternerate between them when at the indoor public range where I have a membership.

BadgerJ, I'd feel the same way as you did with a stranger coming up & asking to "see" your carry, especially when the range was empty. I can't see ever asking a stranger to let me hold any of their firearms...I'd wait to be asked.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Sounds like some of you don't shoot your carry firearm when at the range. Why is that? ..... .
    Oh, I do shoot my carry firearm. I just have a few, and the one that I have concealed hopefully isn't getting shot that day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post

He didn't have his gun(s) out at the time and just had driven up and parked. Normally, I'm pretty friendly but I didn't relish the idea of giving my personal carry gun to a stranger.
    Under these circumstances, I would not have let him handle my gun(s) either.
    I have no problems with people approaching me at the range to make small talk, or even ask to see/shoot my guns. But I use the information I have in making the decision to let them or not. I have told people no, I have also let people shoot my M16 A1 on FA.......just depends on the person, and the vibe.
    mprp likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Sounds like some of you don't shoot your carry firearm when at the range. Why is that?
    I'll rotate my carry guns for range time, but I try to have one loaded with the correct ammo at the ready. IMO a gun range is a perfect place for unstable people, whom otherwise would not have access to firemarms, to rent guns and commit suicide.

Shoot Straight range halts firearms rentals after 3rd shooting death - Orlando Sentinel

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I'll rotate my carry guns for range time, but I try to have one loaded with the correct ammo at the ready. IMO a gun range is a perfect place for unstable people, whom otherwise would not have access to firemarms, to rent guns and commit suicide.

Shoot Straight range halts firearms rentals after 3rd shooting death - Orlando Sentinel
    I also carry a firearm that I don't shoot during that session, just in case.

There were several gun range suicides last year in Utah, but I haven't heard of any yet this year.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I welcome it myself, its a gun range, people there like guns. Maybe he was in the market for a new carry piece.

To each their own, but I would have been a little taken back if someone acted like you did. Not like you were at a department store.
    Gotta say I'm with Thunder.
    It's no big deal.

It's really sad to see so many people now-a-days who do not know how to make new friends.
    I personally like meeting new potential shooting buddies. I also find that making new "gun" friends helps me expand my knowledge and improve skill levels.

Like WHEC said, I'm not giving a loaded firearm to a stranger either. (This is just plain ol common sense; and is good gun "safety" practice.)

I also carry at least "two" firearms when I go to the range. That way I always have a "loaded" firearm available.

If I plan on practicing with my PCW, I CC a "loaded" bug. If I'm out to plink, I keep my PCW concealed. If I'm going to do some dynamic drills with both my PCW & PBUG, I usually have an extra CC bug. Mainly, because when I'm doing practice drills, I only "load" the number of rounds the drill calls for me to use.

(Again, the point being, I always have a loaded firearm available; even at the range; and I can maintain the most optimal gun "safety" practices.)

-

-

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    My range is a private club, but very isolated (well, everywhere is isolated where I live) 90% of the time, I am the only person there. We lock the gate behind us, but folks can climb over the barbed wire.

If I am shooting my EDC or the alternates, I will dry practice for a while, drawing from concealment, presenting and dry firing, then will transition to live fire. When I do this, I ALWAYS stick a full mag of hollow points in an easily accessible pocket, just in case. However, most of the folks at our range are friendly and we chat and shoot the breeze about guns and what we are shooting.
    Attached Images
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    IMO a gun range is a perfect place for unstable people, whom otherwise would not have access to firemarms, to rent guns and commit suicide.

Similar tragic situations have happened at two of our local public ranges. The one that rented handguns stopped doing range rentals for a while.

I don't loan guns or let people use my guns. I'm not going to assume liability if they screw up and hurt themselves with it. If somebody wants to see what I'm shooting, I'll clear the weapon for them, leave the slide locked open and let them see it.....but I hang on to the magazine.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I dunno, I've let other people see and shoot my guns on the range. Even provided the ammo sometimes. I suppose it depends on the totality of the circumstances... are they typical range critters, new CCWers, etc, or some shifty dude who didn't bring his own guns?
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I will not hand a loaded weapon to a stranger.

That said, I've had this happen before. I generally am nice to just about everyone I meet. I'll clear the firearm and let them handle it under a cautious eye, with a quick reminder if they are careless with the muzzle.

I'm not worried about fingerprints, I'm more concerned about idiots.

I also always carry concealed at the range.
    That's how I handle it as well. I recently had a power company worker out on my property to fix some lines. I stopped and asked how it was coming (power had been out for two days and I was desperately waiting for the AC to come back) when he noticed my PT140 and asked me what kind of gun it was. I told him and he said he had just ordered the same model and asked if he could see it, so I cleared it and handed it to him. Turns out he had never handled one and was curious about the internal quality. Not everybody is out to get ya, some people are just curious. As long as you clear it, I see nothing wrong with letting them see or handle it.

OD*
    Ever since Michael Platt and William Matix murdered Emelio Briel while he was target shooting, for his car and weapons, I'm always a little hinky when a total stranger ask to see my guns. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, I never show them my CCW.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Yeah,sure,you can see it,but only the dummy end,the smart end is reserved for me!

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    . He didn't have his gun(s) out at the time and just had driven up and parked.
    If that's how it went down, then I totally agree with the way you handled it. No way I'm handing any of my guns to someone at a open range that just drove up and parked then tries to spark up a conversation outa the blue without even being on the line with his own firearm. Something very odd about that in itself IMO. If he was offended tough, he brought that one on himself.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links