At the range: "Can I see your gun?" - Page 4

At the range: "Can I see your gun?"

This is a discussion on At the range: "Can I see your gun?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Firearms 'show and tell' is the norm at our range, and any one with simething new or different or super powerful would likely feel insulted ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: At the range: "Can I see your gun?"

Firearms 'show and tell' is the norm at our range, and any one with simething new or different or super powerful would likely feel insulted if you don't take them up on their offer to let you shoot it.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    If i don't know you you are not touching my firearms. Now I also shoot on my own property so if someone came up to me to ask to shoot it they would also be trespassing and better have a good reason for being there. The guys I shoot with if they want to try one of my firearms out no problem.

If I went to public ranges I may feel different depending on the feeling I get about the person asking and I'd probably have wathched them shoot already and would have an idea if I thought they handled a firearm properly.

You're at a range. I'll make the assumption that they have their own firearms there. You're really worried about someone who's into the same hobby as you checking out your firearm at the absolutely most appropriate place for that question? Really? Seriously now, use common sense (don't hand them a loaded firearm, etc) but you should be welcoming the discussion. You think someone up to no good would ask? At a range, with their own firearms there and being a registered club member (where they should be displaying their membership card)? Can't live on yellow forever, my friend.
    shockwave likes this.

It depends,usually there are several people shooting,and I am a friendly guy and help people,the other day noticed two guys trying to sight in an AR15 with a red dot to co witness the irons,I managed to get them on target without them shooting up a buncha ammo.
    If some guy is walking around an empty range and doesn't have any guns but wants to see mine I'm probably gonna say NO,first of all you need to be a member to get thru the gate,and number 2 is who joins a gun range with no guns.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thats what some people do at the range...They seek knowledge and Information. Be nice, be cautious, and try to help as much as you can. It gives us gun people a good name.
    357and40, OD* and sigmanluke like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    My range is a private club, but very isolated (well, everywhere is isolated where I live) 90% of the time, I am the only person there. We lock the gate behind us, but folks can climb over the barbed wire.

If I am shooting my EDC or the alternates, I will dry practice for a while, drawing from concealment, presenting and dry firing, then will transition to live fire. When I do this, I ALWAYS stick a full mag of hollow points in an easily accessible pocket, just in case. However, most of the folks at our range are friendly and we chat and shoot the breeze about guns and what we are shooting.
    What a GREAT looking spot...makes me miss the mountains in Alaska!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I live in New York State. With very few exceptions you must have a NYS Pistol License to handle a handgun. My first reaction would be to politely say no. If it were someone I had observed at the range before and we had engaged in small talk I would ask to see his license and then I might.
    NYS could charge me with a felony if I handed a handgun to a felon or someone who is not licensed. People at a range in NYS who are licensed should know this and understand when you say no.

I was a member of a private club for a year where the guys were mostly friendly. Even if it is a fairly common rifle, my M91/30 always caught people's eyes. I've traded trigger time with that for time with a SBR Thompson, various ARs and AKs, and an M1 Garand.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I really find it ridiculous how many people on here will go to a gun range in public and not be willing to share the experience with others, strangers or no. Many of my favorite range trips have included me shooting what others have brought and them shooting mine. I extend invitations to people to shoot my stuff in order to let them try something new, in exchange I ask to shoot their guns. I have let Marines, civilians, cops, firefighters, and anyone who asks nicely handle and shoot my weapons at the range as long as I am extended the same courtesy. To just ask to shoot my gun with no offer in return, I would decline unless they had ammo in that caliber
    Justified and thephanatik like this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I really find it ridiculous how many people on here will go to a gun range in public and not be willing to share the experience with others, strangers or no. Many of my favorite range trips have included me shooting what others have brought and them shooting mine. I extend invitations to people to shoot my stuff in order to let them try something new, in exchange I ask to shoot their guns. I have let Marines, civilians, cops, firefighters, and anyone who asks nicely handle and shoot my weapons at the range as long as I am extended the same courtesy. To just ask to shoot my gun with no offer in return, I would decline unless they had ammo in that caliber
    Agree. I am all about helping to bring moe people into the fold
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I don't have a problem with it, even supplying the ammo, then I know what they are shooting in my gun. Assuming I don't perceive them as a ding or someone else equally undesirable. I always carry a separate strap in addition to whatever I'm shooting.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I do also, and noone shoots my carry piece of the day.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

With any luck, no one even knows I have it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    [QUOTEWith any luck, no one even knows I have it. [/QUOTE]

I would know just by your presence.

Someone asked me awhile back if I was carrying. I said, "I'm here aint I?". They figured it out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

At the public range I usually wait before inviting conversation. If I see unsafe gun handling then I inform the staff. It might be time for me to go home. When the "neighbors" demonstrate good muzzle discipline then I enjoy chatting with them. But I don't discuss anything I am carrying.

Let somone shoot one of my guns? SURE... after I place the gun, action locked open, on the bench in font of them. Safe shooters respect this. Anyone who doesn't will not be using any of my guns.
    shockwave likes this.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links