At the range: "Can I see your gun?"

This is a discussion on At the range: "Can I see your gun?" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's how gun sharing works on a good day... Some young buck comes in with his attractive date, and his biggest, baddest magnum beast. He's ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: At the range: "Can I see your gun?"

Here's how gun sharing works on a good day...

Some young buck comes in with his attractive date, and his biggest, baddest magnum beast. He's gonna teach her how to shoot. C'mon, I know you have all seen this! A few rounds later, she has had enough!

Now it's time to make introductions and uncase my heavy-barrelled Ruger MkII and a brick of .22LR. He stays in his lane, looking cool and making lots of noise. I spend the afternoon with his girl-friend!!!
    CowboyColby and Wolfrage like this.

2. Remove Ads

When I belonged to a private gun club it was very common to walk the line and check out each others guns and to test them out. Nowadays I shoot at a public indoor range and very seldom do the other shooters even have a conversation. However if someones interested, polite and friendly I'm more than happy to let them try out my guns. Going to the range and meeting other shooters is part of the experience.
    Question Everything!

The outdoor range I shoot at is semi-private and well managed, so anybody there will probably be an enthusiast. Members fall into recognizable categories:

1. Attractive gal with a bag full of high-power handguns
    2. Father and son
    3. Pals out for some shooting
    4. Suburban guy getting time in
    5. Two ex-military types with their XDs and Glocks
    6. Group of kids with more tattoos than guns
    7. Married couple sending a few boxes downrange

And various permutations thereof. During breaks in shooting, I might exchange a pleasantry with a fellow shooter. If he or she is shooting something interesting or a gun I'm interested in, we might talk about it. And vice versa. Seems like the standard rule is for the owner to ask, "would you like to try it?" But nobody ever asks to try a firearm uninvited.

I don't go to the range to socialize - I go there to shoot. But I'm not averse to making friends. If I'm comfortable with a fellow shooter and can tell they want to try something I have on the table, it's helpful for me to see how the gun handles from an observed perspective. I can see the muzzle flip, watch the ejection path, and gauge the report. It's a learning opportunity.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The outdoor range I shoot at is semi-private and well managed, so anybody there will probably be an enthusiast. Members fall into recognizable categories:

1. Attractive gal with a bag full of high-power handguns
    2. Father and son
    3. Pals out for some shooting
    4. Suburban guy getting time in
    5. Two ex-military types with their XDs and Glocks
    6. Group of kids with more tattoos than guns
    7. Married couple sending a few boxes downrange

And various permutations thereof. During breaks in shooting, I might exchange a pleasantry with a fellow shooter. If he or she is shooting something interesting or a gun I'm interested in, we might talk about it. And vice versa. Seems like the standard rule is for the owner to ask, "would you like to try it?" But nobody ever asks to try a firearm uninvited.

I don't go to the range to socialize - I go there to shoot. But I'm not averse to making friends. If I'm comfortable with a fellow shooter and can tell they want to try something I have on the table, it's helpful for me to see how the gun handles from an observed perspective. I can see the muzzle flip, watch the ejection path, and gauge the report. It's a learning opportunity.
    I wanna come to your range to meet number 1
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    As people we all have the ability to sense if someone is a "mouth breather" or another like-minded guy at the range. Usually one of the first things I do at the range is look through the glass and see who is shooting what. I hate to see some young G-uint kid trying to teach his girl how to shoot because I am always wondering how much safety training have they had because I will be standing next to them
    I wear baseball and basketball jerseys sometimes so no one can just judge someone's competency by looking at their clothes alone. What really matters is how professional are their behavior at the range and their safe, professional gun handling. If anyone is shooting gangsta style, that is not a sign of a pro.
    As for me, I prefer the outdoor range which has more mature shooters there and also allowed the leeway to practice combat shooting and rapid firing. However, I will go to the indoor range only for practicing one handed shooting w/ my semiautomatic pistols.
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Had a person come up to us at the range and initiate small talk, asked what guns we had. I didn't want to discuss what I'm carrying with a complete stranger, but he persisted. Then he comes up next to me, it's an outdoor range and nobody else there, and says 'Can I see it'.

I was taken aback a bit, and muttered 'No'.

Am I out of line? Why would someone expect to handle stranger's HG, get their prints on it and soforth?

Thoughts?
    NO!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Had a person come up to us at the range and initiate small talk, asked what guns we had. I didn't want to discuss what I'm carrying with a complete stranger, but he persisted. Then he comes up next to me, it's an outdoor range and nobody else there, and says 'Can I see it'.

I was taken aback a bit, and muttered 'No'.

Am I out of line? Why would someone expect to handle stranger's HG, get their prints on it and soforth?

Thoughts?
    You have your reasons. It's your gun. In CA, it is against the law for me to loan someone my favorite guns because without a mag safety they are not safe according to the gun grabbers at our DOJ and their infamous ‘safe gun list’.
    PC 12125. (a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
    As it stands, at a CA firing range, I can't legally give to, lend to, or let a friend shoot my S&W M&P without a mag safety or any other safety because California has deemed the pistol, "unsafe" in "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale" law,
    the Cal Penal Code 12126(c), (d) says:
    has no safeties to prevent accidental firing... and magazine disconnect mechanism - that prevents a semiautomatic pistol that has a detachable magazine from operating to strike the primer of ammunition in the firing chamber when a detachable magazine is not inserted in the pistol".
    So, if you felt bad about it, just say it's unsafe and against the law with the mental reservation that you're talking about Austrailian or British or maybe Californian law. If they press it, just say that you are liable and that your insurance is too expensive, already. Or ask them to cite the four rules of gun safety as a personal requirement before giving your gun to anyone, cleared, of course. If they can cite the rules and take the cleared gun, then it's probably cool anyway, right?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I understand people looking to buy a particular gun and not being able to find one to rent anywhere. For me, living in a rural area, there are no indoor ranges with rentals without driving 65+ miles. So I try to be friendly in people who may be curious about a particular gun I have.

However, I pretty much size them up on a case by case basis. Like SIXTO said, no knuckle dragging, mouth breathers just wanting to waste my time. They pretty much have to pass the triple digit IQ test, so it entails a little bit of conversation before handing over one of my guns at the range. To allow them to shoot it, requires more conversation and careful observation of how they handle their own weapons.

Also, I always unload and always pass the gun with an open action or open cylinder. Just the proper gun etiquette I was raised with.

Finally, I'll never hand a stranger one of my guns unless I am fully armed myself. I'm not always concealed when I'm at the range, but I always will have a loaded and holstered defensive arm worn on my body.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I normally shoot some oddball firearms that tend to attract attention when I am shooting so I am used to folks asking me about them.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Personally I enjoy "show and tell" at the range. As often as not, I'm the one initiating a conversation, and if it leads to an exchange of guns to test, fondle or fire, I see that as friendly, not suspicious. I can't recall ever being rebuffed by someone. The range crowd is usually especially friendly and sharing. My style may not suit everyone though.

at my club we let people shoot our guns they are members, I have vo problem with them then I shoot theirs.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Personally I enjoy "show and tell" at the range. As often as not, I'm the one initiating a conversation, and if it leads to an exchange of guns to test, fondle or fire, I see that as friendly, not suspicious. I can't recall ever being rebuffed by someone. The range crowd is usually especially friendly and sharing. My style may not suit everyone though.
    One time at my outdoor range as I finally finished my last rounds of .223/5.56 from my RRA LAR-15, someone about 2 lanes from me wanted everyone to try out his gun collection. After others declined, he came to me and asked me to try out his single action revolver and lever action Henry rifle. And he didn't even want me or anyone to pay for his ammo. I even offered to buy more ammo for my AR so that he can also try it out too. But he declined. So, I said okay and I shot his guns. I did okay with his revolver but the Henry was awesome. Manipulating the lever was not even that difficult as I thought. And it was an honor trying out his guns. So we both had a conversation about them as I cleaned up and finished my session. Always a great day at the range but not like this one.

The older I get, the less trusting I am. If someone I've never seen before gets within 21 feet of me with the intent of getting even closer, I go to defcon 1.

Not sure I would have let him see what I was carrying either. It just depends on the vibes, man.
    jem102 likes this.

This is kinda funny to me. For those who say that folks that don't like to be all chummy with someone who comes up to you at the range are rude or what ever....

Let's try to keep it in perspective. The OP stated
    That's a huge step from the, indoor range where there are video cameras and other shooters around practicing their skills. IMO, the shooting line just isn't the best of places to go swapping handguns around just for the sake of checking someone's choice out. I mean heck, most any INDOOR range I've ever visited usually has a nice selection of handguns to browse and print up and evaluate. I totally agree with making sure the firearm is secure and all, but in my twenty plus years of range time, I have never had anyone come over to me and ask if they could shoot or handle whatever I brought to the line that day. That's not to say that I would or I wouldn't, but if something like what the OP described happened to me, I'd tell the fella "Sorry my friend, but I don't feel good about that". If that sounds cold oh well. I'd rather hurt some poor guys feelings as apposed to (some kind of disaster like some guy who's down on his luck and wants to end it all, but has no way to buy a firearm and comes up with a plan, so he asked some unsuspecting friendly fellow at an OUTDOOR gun range to check out what he's shooting; BOOM!).

I guess I could feel comfortable with it if the guy had a range bag and firearms of his own and really was a fellow gun enthusiast, but to be there empty handed; No, IMO that's just got a funny smell to it altogether.

I liken it to the news reports where the mother took her son to the range and ended up shooting him along with herself for whatever reason, as well as a couple of other similar shooting line nightmares that I remember reading about.

Just my thoughts on this Friday with four hours to go before I hit the Alpharetta autobahn and head North..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    On several occasions I have shot other's guns at the range, as well as allowed other people to shoot mine. Never been a problem. Maybe we're all just a bit friendlier in Texas?
    Same here, although I haven't shot anyone else's. People have asked about a gun I was shooting, and some asked to "feel" it and check it out. No problem so far. Afterall, I had already noticed what guns they had and how they were handling them..... and there are some that if they asked I would say no, because their gun handling was questionable. I've let people shoot some, etc. and have never had an issue. I've found that people generally be much more careful when it's your gun, trying to make sure they don't harm it.

So, I guess it would depend upon your assessment of the person, etc.... and some places are more friendly than others.

As far as "surprise" , it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone asked to see my gun. It's rather common to get in discussions about other guns, and checking out other guns with people.

Afterall, it is a gun range. Even at gun ranges, I have a CC gun on, even though I'm shooting another gun.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links