How to haggle gunshops with prices

How to haggle gunshops with prices

This is a discussion on How to haggle gunshops with prices within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im very curious. How do YOU get gunshops to "wheel and deal" with you??? On more than one occasion I have attempted to haggle in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to haggle gunshops with prices

Question How to haggle gunshops with prices

Im very curious. How do YOU get gunshops to "wheel and deal" with you???

On more than one occasion I have attempted to haggle in a very reasonable fashion, say the weapon was listed sticker price (I only haggle on used weapons usually) was.. a fictional $400.00 for a used weapon. I would offer 350- 375.00. They always give you that look like.. if youwant it, this is the price you are going to pay for it.

How do you get them to come down on their pricing? If anyone has worked in a gunshop, or does currently work in a gunshop, please enlighten me on what you need to hear to come down on pricing some. (although, i suspect that anyone CURRENTLY in a gunshop will not share this information due to the effect it could have on them)
    Or, if you have just successfully haggled at gunshops and never worked at one, thats fine too. Just want to see how everyone does it, and possibly figure out a couple of the most successful ways.

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

some things that I've found to be prerequisites for successful bargaining:
    -if I've bought a gun, or guns from this guy before, he's more likely to bargain.
    - if I know the value of the gun (msrp is not the value, it is usually significantly less).
    - I must be willing to walk away. Too often, I want the gun more than the guy wants to sell it and I surrender the most important strategic advantage.
    - even if I'm excited about the gun, I try to appear indifferent. If my enthusiasm shows, I lose another strategic point.
    - Put my best poker face on.
    - Find the right shop. Large retail - e.g., Bass Pro - will be less likely to bargain, while a small - low rent - shop will be more likely to bargain.

Remember, for every dollar I save it is one less dollar in the seller's pocket. Whether dealing with the owner (his profit) or a salesperson (his commission) - I'm competing to save money so he/she makes that much less.

Just my experience as a buyer. I haven't had much success, though I have found a really good shop where they sell at very low prices - they keep their cost at a minimum. Just a small office in the back of a roofing company, but they have an excellent inventory; are easy to deal with; they're knowledgeable and friendly.
    They pass their low operating costs on to the customer.

btw - I notice you're in florida too.
    If you're in south florida, pm me and I'll send you the link to a good low-cost shop.
    I don't want to advertise publicly, unless it is the forum's policy to allow this.
    If so, I'll post the link here.

btw - I have no interest in this shop on than I'm a customer. I like their inventory, prices, knowledge and attitude.

All I can say is do your homework. Look at what the gun is valued at and compare it to other shops in the area and around the nation (just to get the feel). This goes the same if you are trying to sell your gun to a shop.

I knew a guy who used to work at a gun store... he came bragging to me one day about how he took some guy on his trade in. He attributed it to something like a stupidity fee: if you are dumb enough not to know your prices... then you deserve to be taken. He then turned around and bought the gun for himself, which is how he bargains I guess

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    +1 for doing your homework. You're probably not going to get a good deal if you don't know what a good deal is. Impulse buys are rarely good deals. I like to research what a gun is really worth on the online auction sites. Then when I walk into a gun shop or show I have a pretty good Idea of what I am willing to pay for something. As for the haggling, I usually just say something to the effect of: "Is that really how much you want for this?" to which he'll inevitably say "yes", then I respond by putting about 5-10% less than what I'm willing to pay in cash on the table. To which he will either say yes or no to, If he says no, I don't say another word, I put my money in my wallet and walk away, He'll either stop me and try to haggle or let me walk. If he stops you, he'll probably take your original offer if you push hard enough. Every once in a while he'll tell you he needs an extra $10-20 to let it go. If that's within my gauge for a good deal, I may take it. That's how I do it anyway.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    At one time or another I've dealt with all of the gunshops in my area. So they all know me, and they know that I know what a gun is worth. If I can't get them down to my price, I can usually get them to throw in a box of ammo or two, or some other goody, and then pay the asking price on the gun. I rarely just pay asking price unless I know it's fair.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

First and foremost you have to develop a relationship with the gun dealer.

If all you ever do is walk in and try to talk him down on his prices than you're an annoyance, not a customer.

If, however, you buy a lot of your ammo and other supplies (and maybe a gun or two) then he'll be more likely to give you a deal.

Most gun shops make the bulk of their money on ammo, cleaning supplies, reloading supplies, etc ... I've talked to some gun shop owners who say they almost view the guns as a loss-leader (in other words, something they sell at a loss just to get you in the door to buy the higher profit items). While thats probably a little exaggeration, don't be surprised if the gun dealer isn't getting much of a markup on his guns.

Over the years I've found that buying from online dealers or auctions gets me much better prices than trying to dicker with some curmudgeon behind the counter in a gun shop (and sometimes the $20-$25 he charges for the transfer is more than the profit he'd have made if he stocked the gun).

-if I've bought a gun, or guns from this guy before, he's more likely to bargain.
    The first response is really the best response. Your relationship, or lack of, with the dealer will have a direct impact on the price.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I always shop around for a while for the best deal on said gun....
    There's always more than one source available for them...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Agree on developing a relationship with the dealer. I buy 90% of the stuff I buy at one place. At first, I paid the marked prices or close to it.

Now, we have a standing deal that I get 10% over cost on new stuff, and about 10-15% off marked used prices.

It is nice to develop a relationship like that with a dealer who you trust and will provide you with excellent service. Every time I buy a gun from him, he shakes my hand and offers a very sincere "thank you." What more could you ask?
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I went to a local gun shop here in town one day, and they had a sign that said "HAGGLERS WILL BE SHOT AFTER FIRST WARNING". I know never to haggle with them.

VIP Member
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Buy the gun online and get it sent to a pawn shop - costs less than purchasing from a local gun shop.

Assistant Administrator
    I certainly agree on a relationship - my main local guy even when he was ordering in specially always cut me a very fair deal. I didn't really have to haggle.

He did have a load of business from me but then too probably some extra customers after my recommendation too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well I know that you just cannot go into the shop and finally see what you have been looking for, throw your hands up in the air and Thank God for showing you the way and then look at the owner in a low monotone voice,,,, "huh, you take any less for it".

It doesn't work,, trust me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links