New gunowner needs help

New gunowner needs help

This is a discussion on New gunowner needs help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got my CWP and bought two weapons a ruger lc9 and a rugersr1911. I took the 1911 out yesterday IWB and it was ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nicaragua

Thread: New gunowner needs help

New gunowner needs help

I just got my CWP and bought two weapons a ruger lc9 and a rugersr1911. I took the 1911 out yesterday IWB and it was raining and today I've noticed some rusting on both safeties, and also on the slide stop on the lc9, dont remember having that in the rain. Any fixes for this?

Wipe the steel parts down with an oily rag (CLP is fine, any other non-water soluble gun oil will work) and any surface corrosion should come right off.

Due to the newness of the gun I'd be really surprised if it is indeed rust, but - stranger things have happened. If you're in a hot climate and your gun was against your bare skin, the salts in your sweat will set up corrosion quickly.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Keep a silicone coated rag handy where you store the gun when you put it away for the night and dilligently wipe it down.

Outers makes a product in their Gunslick line called Gun Seal, and I think it used to be called Metal Seal, try that to treatthe exterior of the gun. Be sure to use enough to protect, but not so much to leave grease on your shirt.

My lady wants a Ruger 1911, but I plan to replace all the blued parts on hers. Just going to factor that in to the cost. Welcome to DC
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

[QUOTE=ampinf;1998347]I just got my CWP and bought two weapons a ruger lc9 and a rugersr1911. I took the 1911 out yesterday IWB and it was raining and today I've noticed some rusting on both safeties, and also on the slide stop on the lc9, dont remember having that in the rain. Any fixes for this?[/QUOT

Are you sure it's not the rust preventative from the factory? The blued parts on most new pistols are coated with what appears to be a dark rusty brown protective coating. It is removed in the first good cleaning before the firearm is put into service.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Are you sure it's not the rust preventative from the factory? The blued parts on most new pistols are coated with what appears to be a dark rusty brown protective coating. It is removed in the first good cleaning before the firearm is put into service.
    Yes, especially the LC9 comes caked in tons of grease. If you didn't give it a field-strip and complete cleaning some of that goop could be leaking out looking like rust.

Buy a Glock my friend. You will never have the same problems again.

Nicaragua
    canav844 and jem102 like this.

I would recommend a good go through and proper lube job on any newly purchased firearm whether it's brand new or bought used. If the firearm is lubed and taken care of properly after shooting, you shouldn't have any problems with rust even after it gets wet from rain.

And welcome to the forum! Be safe.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Sounds like the gun was stored in a place in a warehouse with a higher amount of humidity. Most of the time on new guns, there will be a huge amount of oil on the barrel and around the trigger mechanism to prevent the rust. Sounds like all you need to do is clean the gun thoroughly, then apply a a small amount of oil to the barrel and slide. This should prevent rust in the future. Sometimes the gun manufacturers mass produce, then store them in a warehouse that probably isn't too temperature controlled, then you get corrosion starting before you even take a new gun out of the box. Just a helpful hint: I always clean any new gun thoroughly, then oil appropriately before I even shoot it. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicaragua View Post
    Buy a Glock my friend. You will never have the same problems again.

Nicaragua
    Thanks for the great insight
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Thanks for the great insight
    It might not be the most tactful post but it is true.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links