Just got the rug pulled out from under me twice!

This is a discussion on Just got the rug pulled out from under me twice! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am visiting my oldest Daughter and and my new Grand Son in Norfolk and decide to do a little shopping for a .22 plinker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Just got the rug pulled out from under me twice!

Sponsor

I am visiting my oldest Daughter and and my new Grand Son in Norfolk and decide to do a little shopping for a .22 plinker for my youngest Daughter's 15th BD. The Bass Pro Shop in Hampton had a Marlin 795 on sale for $125.00. I decided to get it and handed my DL to the salesman. He looked at it and said "Oh, you're from OHIO. We can't sell you anything 'cause we don't have reciprocity with Ohio." I called BS on this and he called his manager over. The manager pulled out a nifty laminated map with a dozen or so states highlighted in green and the rest in grey(Ohio was grey). He said that Virginia state law made it illegal for them to sell any firearm to any resident of a "grey state".

I then went to a gun/pawn shop right around the corner from my Daughter's place. They said there is no such law and the only thing they ever worry about was selling AR's and parts to NJ, NY or MD residents. I told them I wanted a .22 plinker. They looked through their stock and came up with a couple new 10/22s in the $300.00-$400.00 range and a Daisy 2022, bolt action with a 10 round rotary magazine for $120.00. The guy said "Gimme a minute" went in the back and came out with a beautiful 1950's Winchester model 77 for $250.00. He said it came up for sale on the 9th(it was a pawned item). I told him I wanted it and that I'd put a deposit on it when the owner came buy and said that it was going into his personal collection and would not be for sale! Damn! I wound up ordering a Savage 64 with a cheap 4x 20mm optic for $170.00

The Daisy was kind of cool and I probably would have gotten it also but the salesman warned me that the mags were proprietary and very hard to find.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I live in VA and that bass pro shop doesn't know what they're talking about. That's just sad.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    "We can't sell you anything 'cause we don't have reciprocity with Ohio."
    Reciprocity?

Reciprocity?

Reciprocity for what?

That's bizarre. Some of these gun shop jackasses seem to go out of their way to loose a customer.

Administrator
    I was under the impression you had to buy long guns from your state or an adjacent state, reciprocity has nothing to do with it. Either way, they hadn't a clue what they were talking about.
    Hopyard and jwhite75 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am a PA resident and shops in WV say that there is nothing against selling to me, I would just have to have a handgun shipped back to PA before I could take possession.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I can't buy ammo in Kentucky per some law they say is on the books. I've tried in a couple of places and was turned down both times. I can buy in Va and North Carolina though. Maybe someone from KY can explain it to me?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

If this guy at the pro shop said that, and if it was an actual law how could gunbroker.com sell guns? Or cheaper than dirt? I know people who have bought guns off of gunbroker.com from many different states. I call BS on this.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Some states have their own laws about buying long guns from non-contiguous states - until a couple months ago MO was one of them. Seems like OH has a similar restriction (from another forum) - maybe VA won't sell to OH b/c OH won't sell to VA. Here's the text from the latest changes in MO gun law:
    7) Repeals provisions in Sections 407.500 and 407.505 which restrict the sale of rifles and shotguns by requiring purchasers
    or sellers to live in Missouri or a contiguous state and to conform to federal and state gun regulations and instead allows a
    Missouri resident or the resident of any state to purchase any firearm if he or she conforms to federal laws, the laws of the
    state in which he or she resides, and the laws of this state (Sections 571.085 and 571.087)

Maybe it was the pawn shop that didn't know what they were talking about. I would bet on BP lawyers over the pawn shop owner.
    Bark'n likes this.

Sponsor
    I just found another thread about this with a google search. The last post sounds reasonable and would explain both the pawn shop and BP's stance.

As I understand it, if something(anything) is not expressly forbidden by ORC or Federal statute then it is not illegal in Ohio. This is the root of Ohio's open carry status.

Sixto, any input on this?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Odd. I've never heard of any such laws before. I was under the impression I could go to any state, and buy a long gun if I wanted to. The same holds true for ammunition.

Live and learn.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post

Sixto, any input on this?
    If its true, thats the first I've ever heard of it.

Any way FFL regulations are very clear... an FFL holder cannot sell a long gun to anyone who does not reside in that state or an adjacent state. That kinda makes everything else being discussed here a moot point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Any way FFL regulations are very clear... an FFL holder cannot sell a long gun to anyone who does not reside in that state or an adjacent state
    Not really.

Here at the gunshows, out of state residents can and do buy longarms. To buy a handgun they must have it shipped to an FFL in their home state.

I go to the Tulsa gunshow occasionally and have bought several longarms without any issues.

Federal law has no restrictions on longguns, only handguns. Some of the states may have laws concerning it, but I have yet to run into that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Is Oklahoma not adjacent to Arkansas?

I know you are much more well versed on FFL regulations than I am, and maybe my impressions are skewed as I've only sold guns in Ohio... but I could have sworn that was a nationwide thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Actually, I have neve seen "adjacent" anywhere in any regulation.

It is possible, that with the multitude of regulations that are written by lawyers that are proffesionals at twisting the English language amd muddlling it up so that only a lawyer could understand it, that I could have missed it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I'm poking around now trying to find the answer... I cant find anything saying that my take posted earlier is correct. But I know for a fact, both gun shops I worked in operated that way. So maybe it is a weird Ohio thing. I'll keep looking and try to find a definitive answer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links