Vertical Forearm Grip

This is a discussion on Vertical Forearm Grip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am thinking of getting a bipod for me new toy (Ruger mini 14). And in looking at some available models they can duel ...

View Poll Results: Vertical Forearm Grip

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Helpful

13 56.52%
  • Useless

3 13.04%
  • Doesn't matter

7 30.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vertical Forearm Grip

Vertical Forearm Grip

So I am thinking of getting a bipod for me new toy (Ruger mini 14). And in looking at some available models they can duel as a vertical grip. So being somewhat inexperienced with rifle shooting, is there an advantage to using a vertical grip, does it make aiming more stable, does it make weapon retention more easy, etc.?

**Off topic a bit but if anyone can point me in the direction of some condensed quality information on how to properly use a rifle, it would be greatly appreciated**
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

2. Remove Ads

Can't help you with the VFG/Bipod, but you can check youtube for rifle shooting tips.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Can't help you with the VFG/Bipod, but you can check youtube for rifle shooting tips.
    Youtube is blocked at my office
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've fired Thompson submachine guns with both the vertical and horizontal foregrips. The vertial grip is a more natural position for your hand and allows for a better grip and more controllability. News footage from Iraq/Afghanistan shows US M4 carbines with vertical foregrips, for good reason I'm sure.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I've fired Thompson submachine guns with both the vertical and horizontal foregrips. The vertial grip is a more natural position for your hand and allows for a better grip and more controllability. News footage from Iraq/Afghanistan shows US M4 carbines with vertical foregrips, for good reason I'm sure.
    Oh how I would love an M4.....glad you agree because just ordered the vertical grip with the bipod that pops out and a combo laser/light to mount to the side.

Look out zombies!
    - George Orwell Military

RKM
    I have a Grippod. It's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I have a Grippod. It's perfect.
    They don't pop out or collaps while firing? I want to say I'm getting it for my women because it is heavy for her but in reality I think it would be heavy for me after 50 rounds.
    - George Orwell Military

RKM
    The legs go up into the grip and pop out when you push a button.

I would say, invest in a carbine course....much better than something to read in the internet. Also, looks at the Magpul Angled Fore Grip (AFG)...gives you better control..
    Justified and Bark'n like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    The legs go up into the grip and pop out when you push a button.

Cant wait, sling, ammo, bore sighter, spare mag should arrive today and hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the gripod and light-laser combo.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I would say, invest in a carbine course....much better than something to read in the internet. Also, looks at the Magpul Angled Fore Grip (AFG)...gives you better control..
    A class is on my list of things to do but there is no way I can wait that long to shoot this, so I wanted to get some info on the fundamentals, i.e. best stance, hand/elbow position, breathing, 2 eyes open or one, and the stuff I don't even know to think about. That grip looks interesting.
    - George Orwell Military

Personally, I think it depends on the shooter. I know some people really do find them beneficial.

I'm opting to go with the angled fore grip that Magpul produces.

I really didn't think much about putting either one on my AR, until I noticed myself tending to shoot with my off hand scrunched up in an angled position against the mag well. Putting an angled fore grip out further on the stock made shooting more stable and ergonomic.

After shooting guns with both, vertical and angled fore grips for me the angled fore grip is a much more stable platform than using a standard stock, so that is what I'll be putting on mine.

I do think the vertical fore grip has a big snag potential in close encounters and for me, I would rather just go with a standard straight stock. I just didn't find a vertical grip more comfortable or ergonomic than the straight stock. But I really liked my buddies angle grip.

But again, all that is just personal preference. Like I said before, a lot of people do like a vertical grip.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well I will see first hand when it arrives this week. Perhaps I will try the angled grib on my next zombie killer.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    A class is on my list of things to do but there is no way I can wait that long to shoot this, so I wanted to get some info on the fundamentals, i.e. best stance, hand/elbow position, breathing, 2 eyes open or one, and the stuff I don't even know to think about. That grip looks interesting.
    Then I would minimize the distractions like a VFG/AFG, laser, flashlight, etc....and practice putting bullets where they need to go. Start with basic marksmanship, in the prone position...and move from there.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Then I would minimize the distractions like a VFG/AFG, laser, flashlight, etc....and practice putting bullets where they need to go. Start with basic marksmanship, in the prone position...and move from there.
    Plan to, but a laser/ light is just a nice(fun) thing to have on there. I SO wish I knew someone close by that had the land to go practice on. The only range I know of by me that is outdoor is like 40 miles to my east.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links