.22LR Plinking Rifle

This is a discussion on .22LR Plinking Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here ya go...the ultimate plinker made by Thompson Machine. Its light, and quiet enough that you could shoot it off the front porch and your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22LR Plinking Rifle

Senior Moderator
    Here ya go...the ultimate plinker made by Thompson Machine. Its light, and quiet enough that you could shoot it off the front porch and your wife in the kitchen would never know it.

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

If you want an accurate plinker look for a Norinco JW-15. Basically a Bruno clone and extremely accurate. Another is the Romanian trainer. Both are bolt action. If it's popping cans then a Marlin model 60 fits the bill. A Ruger 10/22 is nice too because after you get bored with a stock 10/22 there are million different things you can do to it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think the best semi-auto is the Ruger 10/22. For a bolt action, I recommend the CZ 455 American...amazing rifle!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Most 10/22s come with a scope mount that has a rimfire groove and Weaver cross slots. If yours doesn't try Brownells. They list a bunch of mounts with grooves, Weaver, or Picatinny slots.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I'm going to throw my vote for the Marlin 60, I have one it's got 100,000+ rounds thru it, they are less than $180, and just this last spring Marlin let out a press release that they made their 1,000,000th model 60, that's one heck of a run and testament.

i have a marlin model 60 and love it can hit a popcan from 100 yards 9 out of ten times, my friend i go shooting with alot has a remington model 579 which shoots good but it jams quite a bit but i think its mostly a maintenance problem but mine shoots great and rarely jams when it is clean i would recommend it to anyone, plus you dont have to worry about mags falling out or if you have an extended on hitting it on something and breaking it

Guess im kind of traditional, like the wood stock on my 10/22. Also still have my Marlin/Glenfield .22 7rd clip with a Weaver scope that my dad gave me 40+yrs ago,dam thing still shoots great!! Also gotta show some love for the Henry Lever Action.
    TC

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I've had the Henry lever action since I was 9 years old and have more rounds through that gun than any other in my safe. I love that little shooter. Its quiet and light. Purchase price on it back then was $109 if I remember right.

Can't go wrong with the 10/22.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I kind of like the Marlin rifles. Although slower to load, the tube magazine is a proven design. I have a Model 75c that I've had for almost 30 years. The model 60 is a proven gun, that has been around for even longer than the Ruger 10/22.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you want a semi-auto, the Ruger 10/22 is the gold standard. I used my Father's 10/22 to learn how to shoot.

Now I own a CZ-452 bolt action .22 LR. The CZ is the top gun, and the other one is my Browning X-Bolt in 7mm08.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    .22 rimfires are a hoot to shoot & could be said to be the greatest single round in the world.

When it comes to plinking its what ever you like. I like something you have to work bolt, lever or pump. Autos bore me but that's me not you.

Remember what ever you buy you can always trade away If it starts to bore you. Or better yet just keep buying different models.
    Then your a collector!

I was looking real hard at the Ruger 10/22, fine little plinker. Last week I went to the gun shop with every intension of buying one but, came home with a Browning T-Bolt. Thought my other Brownings (A-Bolt, Citori) needed some company. Next trip will be the Ruger 10/22 though.

DSCN0033.JPG

Marlin 60 or other Marlin with the Micro-Groove barrel would be my pick. Very accurate, light, relatively inexpensive, and reliable. A Ruger 99 would be fun too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links