.22LR Plinking Rifle

.22LR Plinking Rifle

This is a discussion on .22LR Plinking Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Everyone, I've been kicking around the possibility of picking up a .22LR plinking rifle. It would be for target shooting and hunting small game ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.22LR Plinking Rifle

Hey Everyone,

I've been kicking around the possibility of picking up a .22LR plinking rifle. It would be for target shooting and hunting small game like squirrels and whatnot. I'm either interested in a semi-auto or bolt action. Anyone have any favorites or recommendations? Price isn't a major concern, and honestly I'm not too sure what the price range is like, so I'd like to hear any ideas then I'll narrow down my pricing.

Thanks in advance everyone.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Ruger 10/22. I have about $300 or so tied up in it. I bought the gun at a pawn shop and then invested in a new stock, cheapo scope, mag release, and 25 round mags. It's fun as can be, and absolute spot on from 100-150 yards. My nephew and I shot about 300 rounds through it yesterday until there were no more targets to shoot at. We shoot at empty shotgun casings at 50 yards and frozen water bottles at 150. At $7/hundred, much fun can be had for not much money.

Sponsor
    Well, you cant go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. They are any where from $300 up new. I just ordered a Savage model 64 with a cheap optic for my Daughter @$170 but haven't got in my hands yet. Lots of people love the M&P15/22 and I also have a Colt M4 style in .22lr. It's a great shooter. again, $300-$500 for the Tacticool AR style plinkers. The Ruger is going to have the most accessories and custom add ons available for it.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Another for the 10/22. You can start plain and go anywhere you want with it from tactical to target.

An overlooked and under appreciated bolt action is the Winchester Wildcat. It's a great value for the money in a bolt action.

If you have a trusted local gun or pawn shop, it's probably full of good used guns if my shop is any indication. We have 20 or 30 .22s of all vintages, most less than $200 bucks.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I had a look at the 10/22 at my gun shop today. I can get out the door with the 10/22 Compact for $255, which seems pretty good.

Between the easy stock change-out in case I want to go tacticool for some reason and the really cool looking standard wood stock, I love the concept here. My gun guy was telling me that parts and options and accessories are beyond plentiful for the gun, which should make it fun to tinker with.

Regarding optics, specifically Yankeejib, how do you have those mounted?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I say go for the 10/22. Here is my Wife's 10/22

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

If you want some in depth info on everything 10/22, click here
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    I had a look at the 10/22 at my gun shop today. I can get out the door with the 10/22 Compact for $255, which seems pretty good.

Between the easy stock change-out in case I want to go tacticool for some reason and the really cool looking standard wood stock, I love the concept here. My gun guy was telling me that parts and options and accessories are beyond plentiful for the gun, which should make it fun to tinker with.

Regarding optics, specifically Yankeejib, how do you have those mounted?
    You can buy a rail that mounts using the screws already on the top of the receiver. Use a wee bit of threadlock so they don't walk out. Then you can mount rings on the rail and whatever tube you want. Mine's a $39 Walmart Tasco 3-9X that has been flawless for a couple of years and several thousand rounds.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Another for the 10/22. You can start plain and go anywhere you want with it from tactical to target.

An overlooked and under appreciated bolt action is the Winchester Wildcat. It's a great value for the money in a bolt action.

If you have a trusted local gun or pawn shop, it's probably full of good used guns if my shop is any indication. We have 20 or 30 .22s of all vintages, most less than $200 bucks.
    There you go. A few months ago I picked up a nice old Winchester 131 for $120. good shooter.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

+1 for the 10/22. I've had it for more than 25 years, just a Bushnell 4 power scope, have put many thousands of rounds through it, plenty accurate for small game, all sorts of fun.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

It sounds like you're set on the 10/22, but I thought I would mention how great a bolt action rimfire can be. I have a Savage Mark II BTVS in 22LR and it is a lot of fun and quite accurate for a 22! The action on that thing is slick. I really, really like that gun. It's a little heavy for hunting, though you can't hunt with an autoloader in PA IIRC. CZ also makes fantastic rimfire bolt actions IMO. I think that a CZ 452 is the ideal 22LR hunting rifle.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I've been through the 10/22 stage and I'm kinda partial to my Model 60. It's just a bit more traditional to me.

Remington 597 is reported to be more accurate out of the box than a 10/22.

I picked up a 1948 Remington Fieldmaster pump .22 and it is more fun than a person should be allowed to have. Of course, I had one just like it growing up and regretted selling it in college. Took me 20+ years to find another one in good shape at a good price. Pump .22s are a blast, as are lever actions. I've got a Henry lever action .22 Magnum and it is also a ton of fun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Mine is the 10/22. I put a Butler Creek folding stock on it and a cheap BSA Scope and called it good. Nice little plinker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links