What do you do if you find a gun? - Page 3

What do you do if you find a gun?

This is a discussion on What do you do if you find a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Don't use plastic bags. It will ruin the gun faster than anything. I have a few very valuable pieces in my ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What do you do if you find a gun?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Don't use plastic bags. It will ruin the gun faster than anything. I have a few very valuable pieces in my collection, one I had professional packaged for long term storage. They packed it in some sort of cosmoline type material, then wrapped it in a paper very similar to Tyvek. After that, it went inside a wooden box that looks like a humidor. I then put it in a safety deposit box at my local bank.
    Wow. Now, I have to ask, what kind of collector piece is that? I'll understand if you don't want to tell.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Ahh but having a steel slide even the almighty Glock will rust.
    GAH! Blasphemy... Tennifer finish...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Wow. Now, I have to ask, what kind of collector piece is that? I'll understand if you don't want to tell.
    Its a rare 1911. Best part its, it fell in my lap. I didnt even seek it out, it came to me. Thats about all I'll say over the internet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Its a rare 1911. Best part its, it fell in my lap. I didnt even seek it out, it came to me. Thats about all I'll say over the internet.
    Understandable. Congratulations on owning a piece of history. It's always a good feeling.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Don't use plastic bags. It will ruin the gun faster than anything. I have a few very valuable pieces in my collection, one I had professional packaged for long term storage. They packed it in some sort of cosmoline type material, then wrapped it in a paper very similar to Tyvek. After that, it went inside a wooden box that looks like a humidor. I then put it in a safety deposit box at my local bank.
    Why will a plastic bag ruin the gun? Is it from moisture being trapped? They sell this stuff at Cabellas, although I think it is just silica gel, that you can place inside of gun safes to remove moisture. I figured I could put the gun inside of its case, then put the whole case inside of a big zip-lock bag along with some of that moisture absorbing material and I'd be good to go. Another possibility is that I have a vacuum sealer, so that might work too. or am I still barking up the wrong tree?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

GM
    No matter what kind of firearm it is I should call the police and wait until they get there.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

If a tree falls in a forest & nobody hears it fall, does it make a sound?

If a gun washes ashore on a lake-side, does it make a bang?

If you shoot a mime, does anyone really care?

These are the important questions everyone should evaluate....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If a gun washes ashore it's made of plastic. Steel sinks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

My answer:

Fill it up with water, and squirt people
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Why will a plastic bag ruin the gun? Is it from moisture being trapped? They sell this stuff at Cabellas, although I think it is just silica gel, that you can place inside of gun safes to remove moisture. I figured I could put the gun inside of its case, then put the whole case inside of a big zip-lock bag along with some of that moisture absorbing material and I'd be good to go. Another possibility is that I have a vacuum sealer, so that might work too. or am I still barking up the wrong tree?
    The vacuum will work very well. Many years ago while I was in the USAF I was on a detail to inspect and repackage some revolvers that had been in storage over 10 years. The only ones that had any rust were the ones where the package had been damaged and the vacuum lost.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Out of curiosity, If the gun has no serial number on it, would it be any use to the police?
    With today’s forensics technology even though the serial number is ground off the lab will be able to restore it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When I lived in Spokane, WA, the dive store I worked at held regular drift dives in the river. We often found firearms, particularly beneath street bridges. Those rusted beyond practical recognition went on display in the store (The local sheriff Ofc was cool with that). Those obviously recently ditched were turned over to the PD. Several were returned afterwards; others were disposed of as unclaimed. My best find was an old Win Model 12 (?) with the hammer.

People sure did have a hard time holding onto their firearms!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

best of three rock, paper, scissors with the cops
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Well, this isn't exactly washing up on shore, but. My son works for the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) in St. Louis. They find hand guns all the time. They are required to report it to the police, and the St. Louis cops could care less and sometimes don't even go retrieve them. So far he has not found one in decent enough shape to consider keeping. You wouldn't believe the valuables they have found in the sewers. Makes you wonder how they got there. One thing is for sure though, it has the worlds best condom collection

Be careful about putting things in bank safe deposit boxes, I have seen them flood on more than one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Say you are walking along a river, or lake or some body of water and a gun washes ashore. What do you do?

I am thinking it is best to contact the police as the gun could have been used in a crime. If the police find no sinister background, do you get to keep it?

What if it were a rifle instead?
    What about the bag of money you found?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links