Riots in London got me thinking...

This is a discussion on Riots in London got me thinking... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The OP did not specify if he meant defense of your home or being out and about and caught up in a riot/mob. There are ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Riots in London got me thinking...

The OP did not specify if he meant defense of your home or being out and about and caught up in a riot/mob.

There are basically two types of riots/mobs. Those armed with rocks, bottles and stick/clubs and those where some of the rioters are armed with guns.

Generally speaking there isn't too much difference relative to adequate weapons.
    Skipping buckshot out of a 12 gauge will turn a mob of virtually any size causing few if any fatal wounds and/or keep them beyond missile throwing range. This will be sufficient to deal with a rocks and sticks riot/mob.
    Add a precision rifle and you can also deal with one where some rioters also have guns.

A key to home defense against riots/mobs is to detect their presence at sufficient distance to keep them at bay until they decide to move on to easier pickings.
    ncsteveh likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When I survey my ammo inventory, I have an almost ridiculous amount of 9mm.

I'm thinking this, (which will take my Glock 33 rd mags), might be something worthwhile to pick up.

I believe there is a great variety of weapons that would get the job done.

My choices are based on getting the job done with the least fatalities. While I have no sympathy for rioters and I think that when it is over a home owner protecting his family and home would be given considerably latitude, I would rather not have to explain twenty or thirty dead bodies at the end of the block, if I could avoid it.
    ncsteveh likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    ... I would rather not have to explain twenty or thirty dead bodies at the end of the block, if I could avoid it.
    You're always the voice of reason. Yeah, that would be awkward.

Senior Moderator
    A Saiga 12 gauge shotgun and a couple of 20 round drums filled with Buckshot would go a long ways to quelling a riot.

One would have to "slip...shoot and boogie" before the smoke cleared.
    alachner likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    It depends on where I am at the moment the riot breaks out. If I am on the street on my car and caught in the middle of a riot where I feel my life is threatened, I will run over as many of them as possible with my SUV. If I am walking around the city, I will run as fast as I can to get out of there to safety and if needed, I would have 24 shots of .40 S&W to shoot my way out as well as my Spyderco Military and pepper spray for one-on-one combat.

Now, if I am at my home and the rioters want to enter to loot and/or harm my family, then I would prefer to have an AR-15 with a red dot sight and as many 30 round magazines as possible. If someone is trying to enter my home to rob me, that is the same thing as a home invasion. We spend a lot of time here talking about home invasions and how we need to have a solid defense plan with regards to weapons, ammo, alarm system, dogs, backup guns and such. Most here usually have chosen a very solid weapon like a 12 Gauge shotgun, an AK-47, a high capacity pistol or an AR-15. Now that we are talking about a riot, the main choice would be a .22 rifle. Huh? I think a riot would require an even stronger weapon than when dealing with a home invasion, since we would be dealing with a massive amount of attackers that are pumped up, with complete disregard to the law and the local police department would be very occupied defending businesses, government buildings and fighting the riots to come to our house to help us out.

Regardless of a home invasion or riot, I would want as much ammo and firepower as possible and I would not shoot to wound. I would be looking at center of mass and head shots. I would probably want to be in the roof of my house shooting at them like a sniper and with a pistol or shotgun as backup by my side in case I run out of AR ammo and they still don't get the message that my house is off limits.

Someone mentioned that "good people" could be in the crowd. What the hell? I'm sorry, but "good people" do not riot, loot stores, set businesses, houses, buildings and cars on fire and they don't want to harm other citizens just because they are angry at the government or whatever. If you are in the middle of a riot, then you are the problem and you need to be taken out ASAP before you do more harm.
    garyacman likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I would prefer to stop it considerably before it reached the proximity of a home invasion, for a number of reasons, including Molotovs.

Which brings up an interesting thought. Are you targeting a single person that you consider the threat or are you considering the whole mob the threat and that's why the shottie gets brought up? Either way it's considered lethal force. I don't know if the mindset of just "shoot to wound" is the right idea considering the use of deadly force or not in a mob situation.

If that were the case then maybe birdshot is a good idea. Scatters well and has a good sting factor at a distance without killing people that wouldn't be considered an immediate threat. At the same time it will definitely stop any threat that we would picture ourselves in during a "normal" SD situation agains one or two offenders, up close and personal.

All I can think of is if you do end up with a pile of bodies at a distance, you will most likely have a hard time in court proving that the people that you killed were an immediate threat.

And for the most part, stopping the threat is the goal of a SD situation. I look at it as, up close take them out but try and spare lives that didn't directly affect mine.

If they get hit by stray pellets then they shouldn't have been there. But if one were to be placed in this situation and the "targets" were those who impose the most immediate and greatest threat, it would seem to look better for them after it was all said and done, yet still remain effective.

Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

While I agree that shooting to wound when shooting at two or three aggressors is not a good practice, when it is three or four hundred, my perspective changes.

I do not believe that birdshot would carry sufficient clout to be effective at the distances that would be involved.

I believe there is a great variety of weapons that would get the job done.

My choices are based on getting the job done with the least fatalities. While I have no sympathy for rioters and I think that when it is over a home owner protecting his family and home would be given considerably latitude, I would rather not have to explain twenty or thirty dead bodies at the end of the block, if I could avoid it.
    Heavens Gate, Jim Jones, David Koresh. No need to explain, other than it's the worst case of mass suicide you ever eyeballed. LoL

While I agree that shooting to wound when shooting at two or three aggressors is not a good practice, when it is three or four hundred, my perspective changes.I do not believe that birdshot would carry sufficient clout to be effective at the distances that would be involved.
    Your point is what I was refering to in that would it be acceptable or more forgiving if someone targeted the entire mob as the threat or just the individuals who are actually the immediate threat to you and yours. I guess there would be a difference in choice of weapon in targeting anyone out there that is involved compared to only the ones that could actually harm you. (given they do not have firearms but the usual bricks, rocks etc..) However, I believe that a good load of bird shot would be more effective than tear gas and it would sure give the impression that the closer I get to that guy, the more it's going to hurt.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I would consider the entire mob a threat, regardless of rocks, guns, etc, as once they get close enough they can kill you be sheer numbers.

ETA: I honestly can't say how good birdshot would work, it is only an opinion. I know how well buckshot works in such a situation.

My bolt action 30.06 from a distance will be more effective than anything. Seeing your partners head exploding followed by a loud boom and you have no clue where it came from would be a good sign to go back to where you came from.
    alachner likes this.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    My bolt action 30.06 from a distance will be more effective than anything. Seeing your partners head exploding followed by a loud boom and you have no clue where it came from would be a good sign to go back to where you came from.
    That's what I'm thinking, but I would do it with an AR-15.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    All I can think of is if you do end up with a pile of bodies at a distance, you will most likely have a hard time in court proving that the people that you killed were an immediate threat.
    Not if I were on the jury. You look down the street. You see a mob burning every house and killing the occupants. Why would you NOT think they were coming for you too?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links