Riots in London got me thinking...

This is a discussion on Riots in London got me thinking... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If a situation like the London riots happened in a heavily populated city in the U.S, and the police were backing down because they couldn't ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Riots in London got me thinking...

Riots in London got me thinking...

If a situation like the London riots happened in a heavily populated city in the U.S, and the police were backing down because they couldn't handle it, what do you think would be the ideal weapon to be armed with? From my thinking, some type of high capacity 22lr rifle with a red dot would be ideal. High capacity mags for a high capacity group of rioters. 22lr because I don't think you should be looking to kill necassarily(yes I know 22lr can kill)...a lot of people in these riots could generally be good people who got caught up in the moment and the "riot mentallity." Also I think the quick target acquisition of a 22lr and red dot would be beneficial. 22lr would ensure you are able to carry a decent ammount of ammo while still bieng easily mobile if you had to be. Or maybe a 9mm rifle would be a better choice. Or hell just anything that goes bang really loud might be enough to scare most of them away. Im not sure. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Since all the citizens are disarmed in London the rioters can be much more bold. Typically a good repeating (auto, pump, lever) 12 gauge with proper ammunition would be more than sufficient defending your home.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    .22 into a crowd of jacked up rioters? You just trying to piss them off more? If you absolutely positively have to shoot you better put as many down as you can before you run out of ammo. Just saying.....

Ar-15 with stockpiled ammo in the 4 digits and 10-15 magazines lyin around...oh wait that's my zombie defense scheme. (or so I tell the squares, as to not make them nervous)

I'd think something in 7.62x39 would be a bit more useful. That over penetration more hits per round when being mobbed. Choose a solid choke point use their numbers against them.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    BkCo1 likes this.
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

If I remember right Israel used Ruger 10/22 to stop rioters for awhile.

The idea was to wound the leaders in the leg or arm and sent them for medical attention, and out of the riot.

Read somewhere that Israel's court band this because the shooters were prone to putting 2 or 3 rounds in the heart of the leaders and then wounding others.

10/22 is a powerful weapon to face in the hands of someone who can shoot well and is willing to.
    TheGiant likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I like the 12ga idea, BUT most shotshells aren't designed for longer ranges. (Situation like that, I would lead with something like salt shells, then move to the deadly stuff if/when it was necessary- give them a chance to leave)

.22lr seems good, but you would probably have to hit the same guy 4-5 times- adrenaline can do amazing things to the human body.

The 7.62X39 would be great. But, the over penetration of FMJs from one of those could/would possibly lead to worse problems. And, the AK makes more than enough scary noise when pointed 'your' direction; especially when your buddy's head blows up beside you. So, fragmenting/soft point rounds, stockpiled, with 8-9 extra mags loaded and ready to go would be my choice. (I REALLY don't like ARs)
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

It made me think too.
    The UK is the ultimate nanny state.
    Everything provided by the government.
    And they riot for more?
    They're mad because some have more money than they do!
    Steal it!

AR and lots of ammo. I doubt you'd need all the ammo, a few fall, and the mob goes elsewhere.
    Remember, their entire lives have centered around taking the easy way out.

Chances of me having the ideal gun on me in the event a riot took place in my presence with nowhere to retreat is pretty much 0. I'd have one of my 9mm's on me, and most likely 7 rounds of ammo. I can only hope that would be enough to get me and my loved ones out of harms way, somewhere safe.

Would be nice living in a fantasy world where magically I'm armed with just the right weapon with just the right amount of ammo, and make perfect shots each time, but that will never happen.

Besides, in a fantasy world it wouldn't take place anyway.

Think realistically.
    Plan realistically.
    Live realistically.

You're not shooting to kill...you're shooting to stop. A .22, although lethal with well aimed shots, is insufficient for a mob. I second the call for a 7.62/.30-sized round...but if all you have is 5.56/.223, then you go for volume of fire. A great backup would be a 12ga with 00 or 000 buck, preferably a semi-auto shotgun.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    .22LR is much better than nothing but would be far from my first choice. What would be ideal? Electric Gatling gun, M60 machine gun, auto-loading shotgun, claymores. Whats practical? Pump shotguns, auto-loading .30 caliber rifles or .22 center-fire. How about your Marlin or Winchester lever action 30-30? Pepper gas canisters (if the wind is right)! Any of the .30 caliber or larger handgun cartridges in a carbine type rifle. Again, the lever actions would work very well here.

As was said, if you're not home you'll have to use what you've got on you-in my case, 25 rounds of 9mm. Hopefully that would get me to a defensible position with good cover. Maybe it would get me home where I can bring out more-better and sit it out for the duration with friends to share the load.

Remember, a mob trying to take you down and stomp you is a lethal threat. So is someone with a Molotov cocktail.

Well, if you are going to use a .22 against a group of rioters, then you should at least use this one:

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I think twc's idea of a high capacity .22 would work pretty well for two reasons: 1. It would be really easy to keep a large amount of ammo on hand with a .22. 2. As those who participate in riots are largely cowards, you don't need to completely incapacitate them (though as stated by others a .22 can) because once shots ring out and cries of pain are heard, the vast majority are going to scatter and find a target with less resistance.

I do however like Ultima's idea of bottlenecking the ******** and using a high powered rifle to inflict injuries on multiple targets through over penetration.

I also reject outright the idea that some of these individuals are "good people" caught up in the riot mentality. Good people do not participate in the baseless destruction of another's property. Good people do not take what another has worked countless hours, days, or years to acquire (in my mind theft of one's property is the same as taking the same portion of an individual's life that it took to acquire said property). And finally, good people do not participate in unjustified, group violence against another.

[stepping off soapbox]

Sorry if I strayed from the topic and ranted a little too much. Opportunistic thieves and bullies get my blood boiling.
    The reward for work well done is more work.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    "(in my mind theft of one's property is the same as taking the same portion of an individual's life that it took to acquire said property)"

Amen, Brother!

I'm against most here....I think you stick with the high capacity 22lr. One thing about rioters is that they are COWARDS. Have you guys watched any of the videos of the riots going on in the middle east? ONE SIGN of gunfire and the crowds flee - and these are people who are protesting for good reason, not like these clowns in London. If you're shooting 22lr, hit someone in the crowd and people see blood, they aren't coming any closer. There is no need to waste a human life because someone is caught up in the emotions of a riot.

Naturally I would have a safety net...my shotty would be sitting behind the door if needed and my G17 would be on my hip.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links