So I found out I am horrible at shooting polymer guns

This is a discussion on So I found out I am horrible at shooting polymer guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the range today to rent at Glock 19 as I was thinking of trading my XDm .40 for a glock 19. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: So I found out I am horrible at shooting polymer guns

I went to the range today to rent at Glock 19 as I was thinking of trading my XDm .40 for a glock 19. I was thinking of getting rid of the XDm because I wanted a pistol that could I could carry easier than the XDm. I test shot the 19 because I figured if I could shoot it better than the XDm then it was a win win. Well I shot it and it turns out that I shoot both the XDm and the Glock left. I also own a Walther PPS in .40 and I shoot that left as well.

After shooting a few rounds with the Glock I switched it out with an M&P 9mm. I shot the M&P 9mm left as well. However, I did not shoot it way left like I was with the glock, XDm, and PPS. I was only left by about an inch or so from where I was aiming. I may have to start looking into the M&P 9 as a possible replacement for the XDm.

On another note I carry a Springfield EMP 9mm and I am dead on with it.

Every gun has it own unique trigger characteristics. Generally it requires a couple of range trips to adjust to the idiosyncrasies When I first started shooting Glocks I sucked with them. With a bit of practice I shoot them as well as my 1911.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Every gun has it own unique trigger characteristics. Generally it requires a couple of range trips to adjust to the idiosyncrasies When I first started shooting Glocks I sucked with them. With a bit of practice I shoot them as well as my 1911.
    Yep. Sounds like a technique issue.
    jwhite75 likes this.

Sounds to me like it could be a double action issue rather than a polymer issue. This echoes the above posts, technique can be remedied.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Stick with it. It will come with time and practice.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

You are milking the trigger causing you to shoot left. Just need to get some instruction on the trigger. Its not the polymer guns.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Would dry firing help with my technique? How often do you seasoned shooters dry fire to keep your technique up?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Gotta do it.

Maybe you suck with a 1911?
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Would dry firing help with my technique? How often do you seasoned shooters dry fire to keep your technique up?
    Yes it will. Just be sure to unload, and check a couple more times. When you are dry firing you want to be sure the sights stay on target till the firing pin falls and follow through. You want to be able to pull the trigger, fire, and follow through without moving your point of aim.

Take a look at these targets too. If you are right handed it sounds like too little trigger finger. This causes you to push the gun left instead of pulling back straight.

http://www.vanguardnc.com/Documents%...%20Targets.pdf

This article on gripping the gun might help too. I went to the thumbs forward grip and it made a world of difference.

The Combat Handgun Grip - Handguns

Also, the difference in the grip angle on the G19 vs the XD is pretty significant. I have a G19 and my wife has an XD sc. I like shooting the XD, but don't shoot it much for fear of getting too used to a different grip angle. I point shoot a lot, so it could be a problem and I don't want to chance it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Glocks prefer a crush-grip from the support hand. Get the trigger-staging down, and you should be good to go.

+1 My shooting improved considerably when I switched to crush grip with the support hand thumbs forward as described above. If you are gripping hard with the primary hand, then the tension in the hand will make for tension in the trigger finger. If most (say 60% or so) of the grip comes from the support hand, the gun is still firmly supported, but the there is less tension in the trigger finger. This was so even with my difficult to shoot HK USP LEM and is even easier to execute with the much better trigger on my M&P

VIP Member
    Also, try this. If you are used to shooting a SA, you probably use just the tip of your finger. With the Glock, try using a little more finger on the trigger.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I often dry fire my handguns (with snap caps, except for my MP40, which S&W claims is safe to dry-fire without caps) while watching television in the evenings.
    +1 with chiefjason on the trigger finger placement. Most polymer frame guns are striker-fired, and have a heavier, longer trigger pull. I was originally taught to use just the ball of your finger on single-action triggers, and the first joint on double action triggers. I've found that if I split the difference for striker-fired pistols, I'm consistently shooting to point-of-aim.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Yep. Sounds like a technique issue.
    Exactly, he is anticipating recoil and torqueing the gun. A dry fire exercise with a spent shell casing sitting on the front sight or slide will remedy this.
    When you can accomplish your trigger press without the casing falling off, you will find that your shots will be on target...assuming the sights are correct.
    Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Grip is everything some times. Sounds like you do better with a narrow grip.

If you are shooting left 1" , it's typically trigger pull.... try squeezing more and watch that not jerking a touch at the end. That may be because of the size of the grip in your hand and the way you having to hold it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links