Guns, tattoo's, and impressions

This is a discussion on Guns, tattoo's, and impressions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an axe to grind on impressions. I am an upstanding citizen, gun enthusiast, college degree holder, and I love my tattoo's. I have ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Guns, tattoo's, and impressions

Guns, tattoo's, and impressions

I have an axe to grind on impressions. I am an upstanding citizen, gun enthusiast, college degree holder, and I love my tattoo's. I have a LE degree, and working on a masters degree for it now. I have a professional job, net more than some people make who are 10 years older than me, and I just happen to have half sleeve tattoos on both arms. My tattoo's are visible, but not offensive in any way what so ever. I am tired of having people at gun shops look at me like I am the head of a gang buying more "pieces" for my member, and I am tired of people doing triple takes of me at the range when I am shooting. I don't know if it is a stereotype that sheds a bad light on tattoo'd people, but people need to get over it. Anyone else out there have this same problem?

Matthew
    Magnum likes this.
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've got nothing against tats. But it smacks of hypocrisy to do something that makes you stand out, and then complain about the attention it draws.

I don't mean to bust your chops, but since you put it out there for opinion...

Oh I know it may draw some attention, but people don't need to draw conclusions on what type of person I am. I am former military, college graduate, and I have a para-law enforcement job, but people treat me like I should be scrutinized for owning a pistol, or carrying. I mean grow up people, visible tattoo's are not a "bad thing" now, just like racism against blacks is crap and is "old" and people are past it, people need to realize tattoo's are accepted in professional jobs and are becoming "normal" or acceptable. Do you see where I am coming from?

Matthew
    MikeNice likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Its probably something you should have considored before getting tatted up. I have multiple tats that are not visible with elbow length sleeves. Personally if I am somewhere other than a tattoo parlor and some guy comes rolling up with tats all over him my SA goes to the next level. There may be dudes out there who are perfectly respectable but like the "saggy" look but they are going to be initially judged by their appearance. Its just how we as people are wired. Hope I didnt offend I just figured you might appreciate honest opinions.

E

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahnkem View Post
    Oh I know it may draw some attention, but people don't need to draw conclusions on what type of person I am. I am former military, college graduate, and I have a para-law enforcement job, but people treat me like I should be scrutinized for owning a pistol, or carrying. I mean grow up people, visible tattoo's are not a "bad thing" now, just like racism against blacks is crap and is "old" and people are past it, people need to realize tattoo's are accepted in professional jobs and are becoming "normal" or acceptable. Do you see where I am coming from?

Matthew
    I do understand. You'd never take crap from me for having tats. Some of the guys that I have the greatest amount of respect for are quite inked up. I guess part of flying that flag should include not giving a flip what the average joe-citizen thinks.
    TN_Mike, Magnum, Spade115 and 1 others like this.

I can cover all of my tattoo's but one with elbow length sleeves, I have one on my forearm but its a rosary so I don't see how that could offend anyone but a Wiccan. I don't flaunt them when I OC or go to the range but when you are shooting or doing regular movement your sleeves will come up a little and you can see I have tattoo's but not what they are. I think it is the thought of me carrying a pistol and maybe having tattoo's that makes them think what they do.

Matthew
    dcselby1 likes this.

I have a sleeve on my left arm, and 5 tats on my right arm. I also am former military and have worked at a county jail for the past 3 years. I could care less about dirty looks or what someone else thinks. Believe it or not the dirty looks are few and far between, mostly its compliments. Whether that's from murderers, dope dealers, soccer moms, or gun shop patrons. I've actually had a few inmates who can do better work with a staple, melted spoon, and homemade ink offer to fill them and who do really good work believe it or not. But I had to turn them down for obvious reasons......
    Kahnkem likes this.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I do understand. You'd never take crap from me for having tats. Some of the guys that I have the greatest amount of respect for are quite inked up. I guess part of flying that flag should include not giving a flip what the average joe-citizen thinks.
    Thank you! It usually doesn't bug me at all, but somedays it can eat at you. Like having kids, they are awesome and fun, but somedays the constant crying, and noise, and problems just eats away at you. And today I just decided to vent. Not giving a flip is what I do about most things that bug me. I will just be happy when the day rolls around where people don't look twice at people who have tattoo's.

Matthew

Besides a point I would love to make is, OC alone should show that you are doing it legally, because A) it draws attention from Joe-Blow, and B) cops can see it, but add visible tattoo's to it, it would be insanely stupid to OC with out a permit in MN. So the thought of me doing it illegally can be dismissed!

Matthew

I'm a Vet as well, and when I came home to Utah in '92 I garnered a lot of attention from my tat's, the way I carried myself, and my attitude in general. One day I was complaining to my Mom and she asked why I got the tattoo's in the first place... after 20 minutes of discussion I finally agreed it was to get attention. "well attention is what your getting, think about that the next time you want to stand out. You are a product of you're own doing. If you want less attention, wear long sleeves and dockers."

Basically, she told me to stop crying about something I chose to do to myself, and I'd offer that same advise to you.

Take it, or leave it. Your choice.
    BkCo1, SIGguy229, 10thmtn and 3 others like this.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I will add that I benefited from civi's getting plenty of generic tribal tat's, sleeves, neck tat's, loops in the ears, and piercing in general.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I'm a Vet as well, and when I came home to Utah in '92 I garnered a lot of attention from my tat's, the way I carried myself, and my attitude in general. One day I was complaining to my Mom and she asked why I got the tattoo's in the first place... after 20 minutes of discussion I finally agreed it was to get attention. "well attention is what your getting, think about that the next time you want to stand out. You are a product of you're own doing. If you want less attention, wear long sleeves and dockers."

Basically, she told me to stop crying about something I chose to do to myself, and I'd offer that same advise to you.

Take it, or leave it. Your choice.
    It's not that I will take it or leave it, I usually cover them up pretty well except my forearm. Through out the day work or just normal movement will make the front or back of my arms to become exposed and doing that also happens to make my pistol print, I think it is the combo of the two that gets me the looks.

Matthew

Distinguished Member
    I don't think I'd give you a second look if all you have is tattoos on your arms, short of me seeing any type of gang symbols.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

To each his own, but you are gonna look funny @ 60+

Take it, or leave it. Your choice.[/QUOTE]

This
    Herknav likes this.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links