I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand.

This is a discussion on I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Bible teaches you to turn the other cheek when you can. It also tells you to defend yourself, and those you love, at times. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand.

The Bible teaches you to turn the other cheek when you can. It also tells you to defend yourself, and those you love, at times.

I think a lot of christians forget that. That's the crux of the problem for some people. I hope they never get involved in a situation where they lose loved ones that could have been saved.

2. Remove Ads

I had a similar conversation just this week with two different guys...one a democrat like me, the other a diehard republican. The democrat wanted to buy his first handgun and go shooting with me and the republican doesn't and won't own any because "he doesn't believe it's neccesary".
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Corned cat. Is that Chinese?
    ---------------------------------------
    Cornered Cat
    ---------------------------------------

I once had a classmate exactly like this. Made me want to slam my head into the wall.

For the religious types, I believe this type of thinking is an attempt to be more Christian (like Christ). Christ taught to 'turn (offer) the other cheek' when slapped, which many people interpret to mean 'do not strike back.' A study of the customs of the time leads us to find that a slap was an insult, not an assault.

Other parts of the scripture certainly dispute this 'don't fight back' interpretation.

References to an "armed man protecting his house," "killing an intruder," "buying a short sword," "armed workers," (see my sig line), all the battles in the battle, etc.

Even without religion, some may consider themselves morally superior by not fighting back. I can better understand an emotional or psychological inability to fight back, than a moral superiority. How can being dead be at all related to being superior.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "What would Jesus do?"

That's funny. Jesus would let happen what was going to happen, as it was God's will for his anointed life. Jesus didn't have a wife and kids to feed (that we know of) nor was his purpose to be shanked in an alley by a mugger, or was he particularly concerned about being maimed and unable to work. He did however have a host of angels that he could call down from heaven for assistance in such a predicament. Jesus didn't tell his apostles to buy short swords for opening clams.
    Bombsaway likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I wouldn't worry about not understanding your liberal friend. Let him worry about not understanding you. In the meantime, you know you and your family are safer because you take the responsibility to defend you and yours. That's enough to sleep better at night and stand proud in the day.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I'm pretty sure Mike wasn't 'worried' about this doofus so much as just trying to wrap his head around 'what' and 'how' his mind operates.

Knowledge is power.........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

He obviously has not yet experienced "the event". Mine was a group of gang bangers in Houston threatening to kill me and my entire family. I did not PASS GO.....went directly to a gun store and purchased my first handgun, a Taurus 669 6" .357 Magnum. Nothing felt as empowering as knowing I had the ability to defend my family from the domestic terrorism of the bangers.
    Your co-workers time will come.....unfortunately it may be too late.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    He's an admitted liberal. OK, I get that. I don't agree with his stance on most things as I am just about as far from liberal as you can get. But, tonight the subject of guns and carrying came up. He isn't opposed to carry. he isn't opposed to gun ownership. In fact, he is pretty much on board with all of it. This gave me some hope. But then he drops this little gem on me. He doesn't own a gun (I have no objection to that) and he doesn't want one. In fact, he says if someone wants to break into his house, while he and his wife and child are there and steal his stuff, they must need it more than he does. Further, he doesn't think he could ever hurt another person, much less shoot someone, even if they are actively trying to kill him or his family! I have to admit, I was stunned. I held my tongue but I have to tell you guys, I have a wife and 5 kids. I think it is my duty as a husband and father to protect my family in any way I can and every way I need to. The very idea of not being able to kill someone who is trying to kill my family is completely alien to me. And I honestly think that if you feel you could never hurt another person to stop them from trying to kill your child that you shouldn't be a parent.

I just don't understand this line of thought. Not, at, all.
    Just (I'm guessing) young and idealistic. Obviously never been shot at. Hopefully he and his family will be able to safely go through life with those ideals intact!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What he says and, if it happens, what he does will most likely be extreme opposites.
    msgt/ret and PPKman like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The liberal mind cannot comprehend senseless violence and believe that they can simply will it away. They regard it as noble for a woman to be raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, but somehow repulsive for a woman to defend her life from a violent attack with a couple of well-placed shots to center mass.

Of course, they also believe that liberals actually care about people and that Obama is a good POTUS. Go figure.

Distinguished Member
    Most likely, your co-worker has lived a charmed life and never been confronted with violence or real evil. I hope it continues for his and his family's sake. If not, I hope he wakes up before it is too late.

I know several people that would rather lie down and die than to pick up a gun and defend themselves. Religion and politics have nothing to do with it. They believe there is basic good in everyone and rely on that for mercy. That line of thinking cannot be any more flawed if they tried. Yet, nothing I have ever said, done, demonstrated, or showed them does one thing to change their mind and the truth of the matter is that we are all wasting our breath if we think we can.

I accept the fact that life is finite and that I will die someday but I am not going before it is my time without putting up the best battle I can muster. I did it almost on a daily basis in Vietnam and I will do it again.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

I do not know what being a liberal has to do with this mindset. I am pretty far left leaning myself and if anyone tried to harm my family or myself it would be a very bad day (for them hopefully). Do I WANT to kill someone, absolutely not. Will I kill someone if it is absolutely necessary to protect my loved ones, absolutely. I know people that are VERY conservative that are the exact opposite. They own no guns, want no guns, and if "is their time to go" then so be it. Blah @ that..

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    The liberal mind cannot comprehend senseless violence and believe that they can simply will it away. They regard it as noble for a woman to be raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, but somehow repulsive for a woman to defend her life from a violent attack with a couple of well-placed shots to center mass.

Of course, they also believe that liberals actually care about people and that Obama is a good POTUS. Go figure.
    It has been said by others that liberalism is a mental disorder. You'll get no argument from me.

Quote Originally Posted by pro2a.lib View Post
    I do not know what being a liberal has to do with this mindset. I am pretty far left leaning myself and if anyone tried to harm my family or myself it would be a very bad day (for them hopefully). Do I WANT to kill someone, absolutely not. Will I kill someone if it is absolutely necessary to protect my loved ones, absolutely. I know people that are VERY conservative that are the exact opposite. They own no guns, want no guns, and if "is their time to go" then so be it. Blah @ that..
    You are definitely the exception to the (liberal) rule.

Quote Originally Posted by pro2a.lib View Post
    I'm basing this on my own limited experience. EVERY liberal I have encountered in conversation has had this mindset, including my niece, who has made the statement that if her "karate" skills didn't save her, then it would just be her time to go.

How can someone be that cavalier about the one and only life that they have?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links