I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand. - Page 4

I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand.

This is a discussion on I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MotorCityGun You are definitely the exception to the (liberal) rule. Originally Posted by Bombsaway I'm basing this on my own limited experience. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I work with a guy who I just DO NOT understand.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    You are definitely the exception to the (liberal) rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    I'm basing this on my own limited experience. EVERY liberal I have encountered in conversation has had this mindset, including my niece, who has made the statement that if her "karate" skills didn't save her, then it would just be her time to go.

How can someone be that cavalier about the one and only life that they have?
    You two do not know enough liberals.. LOL.. As a whole, you are probably right.. Statistically, there are probably more that have political feelings in line with mine that would be in that weak mindset. It pains me to say it, but it is most likely true. But I know a lot of gun tote'n liberals and some conservatives that are against them.. I guess always exceptions to the rule..

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Mike. They are out there.
    Indeed

And some even vote

If God forbid such a thing were ever to really happen to him, where his family is terrorized or killed I wonder if his attitude would change? I’ll bet it would. When faced with something like that I think that in most cases the desire to survive would kick in. Not everyone but most.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

drugs, or the lack of them

VIP Member
    Christ and the New testament tell us to defend ourselves and others from rape or murder and preach the gospel. Like individuals, some churches misunderstand the unalienable right to life endowed by our creator. "Thou shalt not kill" refers to murder.

"What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?" and answers that the duties required are "...all lawful endeavors to preserve the life of ourselves and others... by just defense against violence..., and [by] protecting and defending the innocent." Question 136 goes on to deal with what is forbidden in the sixth commandment, and gives the answer, "...all taking away the life of ourselves, or others, except in case of public justice, lawful war, or necessary defense."
    -Westminster Larger Catechism, penned in the mid 1640’s

Defending one's self, family, neighborhood, country, or culture is the prime natural law. The golden rule restrains a moral body or state from doing violence against any other body or state, except in self defense. Individuals, states, and cultures generally mature in time and align with natural law. The exceptions fall to the natural law of selection, and it becomes a self correcting problem not to worry about. If your co-worker feels a sense of moral superiority from victim hood or martyrdom, it may be because he hasn't taken the time to grapple with the consequences, he doesn't trust his emotional and physical self control, or he's a lying fool. If you don't have the mission to shed light into the dark recesses of a liberal mind, just change the subject. "How's Oprah doing, these days?"
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

if it actually happened, he would go into shock because he clearly thinks with his great attitude and karma, it couldn't happen. He's not going to tell you that, since, clearly, you are not 'evolved' enough to undewrstand him. No matter what he says, it's always that line of thinking. It's the kind of magical thinking where people think they are 'inviting negative energy' by thinking about a realistic way to deal with violence, or god forbid, taking some concrete steps. After all, everyone knows that carrying an umbrella makes it rain, every time.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pro2a.lib View Post
    You two do not know enough liberals.. LOL.. As a whole, you are probably right.. Statistically, there are probably more that have political feelings in line with mine that would be in that weak mindset. It pains me to say it, but it is most likely true. But I know a lot of gun tote'n liberals and some conservatives that are against them.. I guess always exceptions to the rule..
    I do, in fact, know my fair share of Libs. Fundamentally, the difference between the two philosophies is this:

- Libs/progressives/protectionists don't believe anyone should have a gun whether you're a law abiding citizen or not.

- Conservatives may not like or own guns but believe it is every law abiding citizens' right to be armed.
    TN_Mike likes this.

A number of years back I heard a priest on the radio explain it all very clearly and succinctly:
    Some people recognize that evil exists in the world. Others will never accept that true evil really exists ... they feel that sincere discussion can get the 'evil' ones to listen to reason and change.
    This priest said that you want these gentle people to be your neighbor, doctor, teacher and babysitter. They soften the hard edges of the world.
    He said that you need the strong people to be your military, police, politicians and really close friends. They confront and eliminate evil.
    It's the way of the world!
    HotGuns likes this.
    “To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Mike I will try to take a stab at how I think he and other people get to this type of mindset.

First I will knock out the Christianity argument. If they were up on their scriptures they would realize that the desciples carried swords while they were traveling with Jesus. One quick read of the last days of Christ in the garden of Gethsemene will reveal that Peter sliced the ear of a servant with his sword. Enough on that, if they are trying to use that as an excuse they are poor at debate and worse Christians.

Back to my real thoughts on how this mentality is developed. We have isolated ourselves from reality in modern life. We no longer work for our food or anything else for that matter. We simply go to the store and purchase our meat, vegetables, milk, or whatever. We go to the store and buy the tv, or the couch or whatever. Sure we have our jobs that allow us to make money in order to be able to go to the store and purchase stuff, but it isn't the same in my mind.

People used to think nothing of going to the chicken house, barn or garden and killing a chicken, hog, cow, or picking corn, beans or whatever they were going to eat. They had something invested in the products. They had to raise them, then harvest them. The only name they gave the animal was dinner.

People used to work and build their own houses, furniture, fix things themselves when they broke, or know someone who could and usually it involved trading out some type of service ect that they knew how to do for something you knew how to do. Again there was a personal investment in what you got from someone else or gave to them in return.

Today, there are many people who have never hunted for whatever reason, or have never killed anything besides the spider or bug in their home, heck some don't even do that. When the family pet needs to be put down, folks carry it to the vet and let them do the dirty work. In the past guess what, a family member had to put the family dog down. They didn't do it because they wanted to, they did it because they had to, just like everything else folks did.

With the volunteer military, and the fact that we are now a full generation away from having had a draft to serve this country, fewer and fewer people have had to make sacrifices for others. Those that have, have choosen to risk their lives for those who were unwilling.

This stuff and much more basically have turned folks into a bunch of pansies who aren't prepared to stand up for anything, worst of all their own family members. Our "polite" society has kept most people insulated from what other people are capable of. Besides viewing it on the nightly news, or watching CSI or whatever and seeing reports or TV versions of crime, many people choose to either ignore or be oblivious to what the world can be like.

The only down side to all of this is that since society is basically a law abiding one, the people who think like your friend will continue to propogate and spread their views to future generation.
    HotGuns, Guantes, TN_Mike and 1 others like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Good post Farronwolf. I though I wrote it when I read it...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Good post Farronwolf. I though I wrote it when I read it...
    I have used my mind control to tap into your mind and steel your thoughts. Now I just have to figure out how to convince you to turn over all your weaponry to me. (Think evil laugh now)
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

So.... tell your friend...... " you are not making the decision to kill someone" .... they made that decision for you when they threaten or attempted to kill you . "You only get to choose whether to LIVE, and if you want your family to live". It was THEIR choice to kill you, or you would have never have had to make that decision. You, only have one choice. Do you want to be alive when it's all over ? Or , not ? You, are choosing whether to stay alive and to not let someone else take that away from you !!!

If he's suicidal, or doesn't care, if and when something might occur... that's up to him.
    However, I think a lot of people that think that way, just don't believe that anything like that will or could ever happen to them or their family.

Have him ask the guy where 2 men beat him and left him in the basement for dead, and then raped his kids and wife, poured gas on them and set them on fire , while the Police were outside trying to decide on what to do.
    MikeNice likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Mike I will try to take a stab at how I think he and other people get to this type of mindset.

First I will knock out the Christianity argument. If they were up on their scriptures they would realize that the desciples carried swords while they were traveling with Jesus. One quick read of the last days of Christ in the garden of Gethsemene will reveal that Peter sliced the ear of a servant with his sword. Enough on that, if they are trying to use that as an excuse they are poor at debate and worse Christians.

Back to my real thoughts on how this mentality is developed. We have isolated ourselves from reality in modern life. We no longer work for our food or anything else for that matter. We simply go to the store and purchase our meat, vegetables, milk, or whatever. We go to the store and buy the tv, or the couch or whatever. Sure we have our jobs that allow us to make money in order to be able to go to the store and purchase stuff, but it isn't the same in my mind.

People used to think nothing of going to the chicken house, barn or garden and killing a chicken, hog, cow, or picking corn, beans or whatever they were going to eat. They had something invested in the products. They had to raise them, then harvest them. The only name they gave the animal was dinner.

People used to work and build their own houses, furniture, fix things themselves when they broke, or know someone who could and usually it involved trading out some type of service ect that they knew how to do for something you knew how to do. Again there was a personal investment in what you got from someone else or gave to them in return.

Today, there are many people who have never hunted for whatever reason, or have never killed anything besides the spider or bug in their home, heck some don't even do that. When the family pet needs to be put down, folks carry it to the vet and let them do the dirty work. In the past guess what, a family member had to put the family dog down. They didn't do it because they wanted to, they did it because they had to, just like everything else folks did.

With the volunteer military, and the fact that we are now a full generation away from having had a draft to serve this country, fewer and fewer people have had to make sacrifices for others. Those that have, have choosen to risk their lives for those who were unwilling.

This stuff and much more basically have turned folks into a bunch of pansies who aren't prepared to stand up for anything, worst of all their own family members. Our "polite" society has kept most people insulated from what other people are capable of. Besides viewing it on the nightly news, or watching CSI or whatever and seeing reports or TV versions of crime, many people choose to either ignore or be oblivious to what the world can be like.

The only down side to all of this is that since society is basically a law abiding one, the people who think like your friend will continue to propogate and spread their views to future generation.
    All very true and very well put. As I see it, when the world really does fall apart, and I still think it is a possibility that it will either through total economic collapse or a Zombie Apocalypse, his kind will be the first prey used up by the predators.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    I do, in fact, know my fair share of Libs. Fundamentally, the difference between the two philosophies is this:

- Libs/progressives/protectionists don't believe anyone should have a gun whether you're a law abiding citizen or not.

- Conservatives may not like or own guns but believe it is every law abiding citizens' right to be armed.
    Except in NC it was Republican leadership that killed the bill to allow employees to lock their gun in their car at work. They also took discussion of a few other CCH friendly changes off of the table despite a lack of opposition.

Don't get so hung up on the labels. In my CCHP class theer was a a married couple that showed up in a Prius with an Obama 08 bumper sticker. They brought their own granola, humus, soy crackers, Nantucket Nectar, and tofu for lunch. However, the wife could rip the bullseye out of a target at 7 yards with a .38spl.
    Last edited by MikeNice; August 24th, 2011 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    he doesn't think he could ever hurt another person, much less shoot someone, even if they are actively trying to kill him or his family!
    Those people (and there are millions) should NOT own guns. A robber will just take it away from them, and use it against them, then others. Everyone has to make that decision themselves, and I respect both sides. They may become victims, but it's their choice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links